METROPOLIS-The City's "Portrayal"

project13

Civilian
Reaction score
How should Metropolis be in the Superman reboot? What city should it be molded after and what should be its atmosphere and its enviroment should be?

I'll start:

LOS ANGELES

LosAngelesSkyline.jpg

Description:
Despite its reputation as a clean,warm and wealthy city, Metropolis is filled with tragedy, loss and despair. Forever linked to the frightening reality of terrorism because of the attack on 9/11, the city is slowly rotting in crime. It's a city filled with dangerous and psychotic criminals and corporate sharks (i.e. Luthor). This is a time when the world needs a savior, someone to believe in, someone who can stand up for humanity. Few businesses that are not owned by Luthor are not somehow involved in illegal activity(LexCorp would own most major and local businesses in Metropolis),straight cops (i.e. Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer) who fight for justice are rare (the rest of the cops are corrupt and working for Lex) and newspaper companies (i.e. the Daily Planet) will do whatever it takes to get a good story, even if it means getting into dangerous situations. Supeman represents hope not only for the city, but for the entire planet as well. He represents the idea that justice is still present and alive and becomes the first symbol of true hope.

I loved Singer's Metropolis. Add a very modern LexCorp building and we're good.

yea a mix of nyc/la looks for metropolis would probably be a good look for the city. Make it bright, modern, and grand looking. We dont want it to be do dark and rotting since thats more gotham then metropolis.

I do not like the idea of Metropolis/Los Angeles. I'm more into Metropolis/Vancouver.
I suppose my very personal idea of the subject would not it in the realistic approach of the films we have today, but for me, as Gotham is dark and Gothic and the perfect place for batman, Metropolis should be the perfect place for Superman ; I mean, it reflects everything the hero needs to live in. So I would do Metropolis as the city of Tomorrow, gigantic, white everywhere and very light colors, futuristic, like a city for the Gods. I'm not saying this should be the reboot, I'm saying this is how I would do it.

But from a "realistic" point of view, I would choose the smallville/Vancouver Metropolis, and the Bryan Singer's suits me fine too.
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/smallville/images/5/51/Metropolis.jpg

Since I consider Metropolis as a 'character', this could be merged into the already existing 'Character Portrayal' thread.

But I think this is an important discussion.

What if the next film if it is a reboot if they do what they did in the batman begins/tdk where they mix a couple different cities to make a new metropolis.

Description:
Despite its reputation as a clean,warm and wealthy city, Metropolis is filled with tragedy, loss and despair. Forever linked to the frightening reality of terrorism because of the attack on 9/11, the city is slowly rotting in crime. It's a city filled with dangerous and psychotic criminals and corporate sharks (i.e. Luthor). This is a time when the world needs a savior, someone to believe in, someone who can stand up for humanity. Few businesses that are not owned by Luthor are not somehow involved in illegal activity(LexCorp would own most major and local businesses in Metropolis),straight cops (i.e. Dan Turpin and Maggie Sawyer) who fight for justice are rare (the rest of the cops are corrupt and working for Lex) and newspaper companies (i.e. the Daily Planet) will do whatever it takes to get a good story, even if it means getting into dangerous situations. Supeman represents hope not only for the city, but for the entire planet as well. He represents the idea that justice is still present and alive and becomes the first symbol of true hope.

Okay, lets try something:

Despite its reputation as a clean,warm and wealthy city, Gotham is filled with tragedy, loss and despair. Forever linked to the frightening reality of crime because of recession, the city is slowly rotting in crime. It's a city filled with dangerous and psychotic criminals and mob bosses (i.e. Falcone). This is a time when the world needs a savior, someone to believe in, someone who can stand up for humanity. Few businesses that are not owned by the mob are not somehow involved in illegal activity(Falcone would own most major and local businesses in Gotham),straight cops (i.e. Gordon) who fight for justice are rare (the rest of the cops are corrupt and working for the mob) and news companies (i.e. the GCN) will do whatever it takes to get a good story, even if it means getting into dangerous situations. Batman represents hope not only for the city, but for the entire planet as well. He represents the idea that justice is still present and alive and becomes the first symbol of true hope.

Metropolis should be a shining city, not Gotham.

yea i agree with you normie gotham is the dark rotting city were metropolis is the bright signal for hope. It does have it bad areas and crime/gans/mobs but it isnt as dark and twisted as gotham.

Metropolis should be a bright shining "city of tomorrow" as people mentioned. The city itself is one of the top contenders in technology. This is a curtain for all of the illegal activities that are going down, Luthor bascially owns a good chunk of the city and 1/3 of its people work for him whether they know it or not. Unike Gotham, where the corruption is so bad it is VERY visable, Metropolis suffers more from white collar criminals like Lex Luthor or Bruno Mannheim and the city is shown in a positive light. Intergang is the prominent crimnal organization in the city appearing with futuristic weapons with unknown origins. That is my rendition of Metropolis, it has to be somewhat futuristic city, but not too bizarre that it wouldn't fit in our world.

Last edited:
I used to be in favor of an NYC-esque visual, but that's been done to death and unlike Gotham, Metropolis always had issues with locking onto a defining look. The most memorable Metropolis, for better or worse, was Timm's futuristic take and Brainiac 13's upgraded version in the comics.

Not that I would either want them or expect them to pull something like that in a movie, but I'm hoping they can make it memorable and defining enough. Singer's Metropolis was just like any other city.

yea i agree it would be cool to see bright shiney city of tomorrow look next go around. Though i dont want the city to be a total cgi created fest, i would like to have a real city or cities used for different elements and have them combined.

There also shouldn't be any ties to 9/11 with Metropolis. That was New York. As stated above Metropolis is the shining City of Tomorrow, the peak of human civilization. The design of the city in TAS is pretty much perfect.

Metropolis should be like New York, but twice as big.

Los Angeles does sound good. But they should just shoot where Bryan Singer shot.

well yes it should be the same if the next film is a direct sequel but if its a total reboot then yea it should be a totally different look.

I loved Singer's Metropolis. Add a very modern LexCorp building and we're good.

Same here. I love how Singer made Metropolis look in SR. Much better than Donner using NYC for the first Superman film, which didn't look right IMHO. I personally prefer to not use a US cities as filming for Metropolis. You want to make it something you don't see in NYC, Chicago, Los Angeles, etc. How about a city that has lots of art deco style buildings?

Ya may have not liked/hated alot of the things in singer's film but i did think the city and the planet looked great.

As others have already said I think they should keep Singer's look for Metropolis. He nailed it perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"