METROPOLIS-The City's "Portrayal"

Maybe they can do something like this

ztzltu.jpg

To use existing cities, I think a cross between the scale and grandeur of New York, the warmth and seeming cleanness of San Francisco and possibly the technological, neon look of parts of Tokyo could work.

But I have no idea if they will go to the pains that Nolan did combining cities for his trilogy. Of course, they may go for something just very stylized for the film.

I think Nolan kinda failed with portraying Gotham tbh

He got it just right in Batman Begins. Filmed in Chicago, the monorail system was added and made the city unique, the Narrows had it's atmosphere, and of course, Wayne Tower. We even got portrayals of the citizens.

Then, everything fell apart in The Dark Knight. Gotham in TDK just felt like Chicago with some editing tricks. Gotham lacked the monorails and Wayne Tower was replaced by a big black box.

It only got worse in The Dark Knight Rises. Instead of filming in Chicago like the first two films, they filmed in New York, Los Angeles, and Pittburgh. Huge mistake. Gotham in this film was pretty much a motified New York, with some Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh added in. Very inconsistent with the previous films. Not only that, the city was rather ugly in wide shots.
I know Gotham was based on New York in the comics, but they executed it terribly in the film. Gotham was based on the New York of the 30s and 40s, Art Deco and gothic architecture. Pretty much like the '89 Batman film's Gotham.

Now, for the Man of Steel, they filmed in Chicago.....
I sure hope it doesn't feel too much like BB and TDK Gotham.

Metropolis should be a mix of art deco architecture with gleaming modern skyscrapers popping up around, with dams, and elevated streets. Pretty much the ideal city. This was when they should've filmed in New York....

Im opposite to you. I dont want ANY art deco or any of that old school stuff. I want metropolis to be new and shiny. Lots of glass and metal and lights. Gotham can the art deco and statues and all that. When i watch BB i saw Metropolis with the monorail and all that. I just think they needed a little more gothic structures. Hell Metropolis looked like Gotham in Superman Returns.

I reckon they should do what Peter Jackson did when he actually recreated 1933 NYC for King Kong with all the sets. Can even use Bigatures and Miniatures too. Things that could make the City seem most unrecognisable. But I would still be open to have some in city footage though.

I think Nolan kinda failed with portraying Gotham tbh

He got it just right in Batman Begins. Filmed in Chicago, the monorail system was added and made the city unique, the Narrows had it's atmosphere, and of course, Wayne Tower. We even got portrayals of the citizens.

Then, everything fell apart in The Dark Knight. Gotham in TDK just felt like Chicago with some editing tricks. Gotham lacked the monorails and Wayne Tower was replaced by a big black box.

It only got worse in The Dark Knight Rises. Instead of filming in Chicago like the first two films, they filmed in New York, Los Angeles, and Pittburgh. Huge mistake. Gotham in this film was pretty much a motified New York, with some Los Angeles, and Pittsburgh added in. Very inconsistent with the previous films. Not only that, the city was rather ugly in wide shots.
I know Gotham was based on New York in the comics, but they executed it terribly in the film. Gotham was based on the New York of the 30s and 40s, Art Deco and gothic architecture. Pretty much like the '89 Batman film's Gotham.

Now, for the Man of Steel, they filmed in Chicago.....
I sure hope it doesn't feel too much like BB and TDK Gotham.

Metropolis should be a mix of art deco architecture with gleaming modern skyscrapers popping up around, with dams, and elevated streets. Pretty much the ideal city. This was when they should've filmed in New York....
The monorails were featured briefly in both TDK and TDKR. Just not as prominent as Begins. Which is fine because they were introducing them as a Thomas Wayne invention and then with Ras dying on one of them.

Even though i love the look of 89' (and hope the reboot is a mix between that and Nolans)..i do love Nolans Gotham because it wasnt supposed to be like the comics or other movies. It was supposed to be a real American city that people could relate to. That was the point of the trilogy.

And Gotham was always a stand in for New York anyway. 30s and 40s New York yes because the character was created during that era. We live in 2012 now so it would be Gotham as New York in 2012. That's how it goes.

I hope Metropolis is like Begins, where it looks and feels like a real American city but with some tricks. Gotham had the monorails and narrows, Metropolis can have a few additions of its own. But nothing too drastic. Just my personal taste.

Personally, I think they should stick with Vancouver's own aesthetic, given that it is very sleek and modern. They just need to give it a little help digitally by removing the mountains in the background and give it the scale of super-city like New York. I'm so glad that they didn't film in New York. Although it is the inspiration for Metropolis and Gotham, it's far too distinctive and recognizable to people around the world. Personally, I found the use of New York in TDKR distracting. While the use of Chicago in TDK may have had the same effect for its residents or those people very familiar with the city, I think it was easier to suspend disbelief and see the city as Gotham.

So from the new trailer, Metropolis looks pretty big and expansive, but kinda bland.

Hope it looks more distinctive in the film

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"