Michael B Jordan IS Erik Killmonger!

Most definitely. People really need to stop with the "Killmonger (or Magneto) is Malcolm" nonsense. Magneto and Killmonger are murderers and terrorists. That was not Malcolm's message.

Comparing Xavier to Martin Luther King Jr needs to stop too.

There's this gross misconception that Dr King's message was about appealing to the better nature of white people through non violence, when in reality Dr King was mostly about shaming people into taking the moral path. The marches and sit ins didn't work simply because they were non violent, they worked because of the violence inflicted on those who participated in those protest being seen by others. Charles Xavier was typically portrayed as someone obsessed with humanitys acceptance and felt mutants needed to conform to prove they were deserving of equal rights.

Most definitely. People really need to stop with the "Killmonger (or Magneto) is Malcolm" nonsense. Magneto and Killmonger are murderers and terrorists. That was not Malcolm's message.

Yeah it should be taken out of X-MEN imo.

I disagree with "Killmonger was right".... First taking the Magneto comparison and now from Cyclops as well.

But Killmonger was evil he did and said horrible things "and their children". His father was just as bad. Royal Prince inviting a white south african to steal and kill from his country.

They were both wrong

when was the last time you saw a villain in a superhero film drawing psychological/academic discussions?

MBJ/Coogler you guys did a great job

when was the last time you saw a villain in a superhero film drawing psychological/academic discussions?

MBJ/Coogler you guys did a great job

Ha, actually though! I'm glad this exists. :mnm:

Even as white guy I relate to Killmonger, and on my 2nd viewing last night got a bit teary eyed at his death. He should have had a much better life than he ended up having, and the reason he didn't was because that choice was taken away from him by T'Chaka.

I think anyone can relate to that as we all have things taken away from us in life.

But, in the end T'Challa was right, Killmonger became like the people he hated and his anger was leading to a very dangerous path.

T'Challa learned the right lessons from it also, that ALL people should band together to make the world better, not just a certain race or people, but everyone, to make, as T'Challa put it himself 'one tribe.'

I know a lot of people complain about the 1st half of the movie (non Killmonger) being slow. However, I think that was to emphasize what Killmonger was missing out on an exactly what he could have been if things went a different way.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOk7oWzA3_U

He missed out on the family, community, etc. He could have been a royal figure who went on adventures and lived this great life.

I kind of hoped he dropped a line about how he could have ended up just like T'Challa, but that might have been on the nose.

The first two scenes were about Killmonger. His father telling him the origins of Wakanda, him playing basketball while his father is getting killed.

Later on near death he says he was just a kid believing in fairy tales.

That's what makes the final scene so powerful on the basketball court. A kid in blue watched a space ship disappear and leave him with a dead father in 1992. However, in the present a kid in blue watched a space ship apprear and then had a chance to connect with such an incredible person.

Last edited:
Wkabi_Monger.jpg

https://www.instagram.com/artofjamarlogan/

Not something I want to see happen, but cool pic nonetheless.

I actually thought that W'Kabi would have smuggled Killmonger's body to a secret location so he can resurrect him later using Wakanda medicine. Who knows, maybe he did?

How would you feel if W'Kabi ultimately becomes Achebe?

There's this gross misconception that Dr King's message was about appealing to the better nature of white people through non violence, when in reality Dr King was mostly about shaming people into taking the moral path.

Not, you know, escalating an arms race, getting the upper hand somehow, and murdering/ruling over them all in revenge.

:whatever: Which is what Killmonger was. Doesn't matter if his anger's understandable - when it all boils down to it the guy's still a self-appointed racial-supremacist tyrant, dictator, wannabe-"Final Solution" type. He's Farrakhan after getting a taste of some actual power, probably a better example.

I wouldn't want him to become Achebe (Give me Barkhad Abdi in a more proper adaptation of that character).

However, W'Kabi playing a larger part in the sequel would be a great way to keep Daniel Kaluuya around.

Kaluuya is kind of in an Idris Elba-Heimdall position. More press-worthy now than when he was cast in a small, supporting role (and also the doorman to fantastical lands in their respective movies). While BP's plot made W'Kabi a bit of a functionary, Kaluuya has the talent to deliver in an expanded role. I wouldn't even be surprised if there was a more definitive line or scene regarding his fate that was cut because Marvel Studios wanted to have the latitude to bring him back.

And in this film, we've gotten enough of W'Kabi's perspective to where it would make sense as a progression, it's not out of character. Especially considering the looming A:IW. As W'Kabi said, it's becoming the conquered and the conquerors. Thanos and his army storming Wakanda only strengthens his point. It could stir him to further action, similar to how Namor or Doom's attacks on Wakanda in the comics affected the populace's attitudes.

I've mentioned before how the MCU BP status quo basically "plays with the ratios" of established 616 BP status quo; a villainous MCU W'Kabi could essentially have a dash of Hunter/WW in his mix (I love Wakanda as much as you do, BP, but fundamentally disagree with how you wish to protect it), which I think works just as well as "let's introduce T'Challa's white step-brother and give them a rivalry to boot" in terms of a sequel.

And with this film clearing much of BP's villainous deck, there's actually room to develop MCU W'Kabi's character in that way. 616's W'Kabi's traditional role of T'Challa's loyal second is superfluous in the MCU BP status quo at the end of this film. The Dora, M'Baku, Nakia, Shuri, possibly Bucky, he's got a ton of support already. Plucking one and flipping it won't hurt.

Last edited:
Whilst Kilmonger is a tragic character who had an understandable reason to be angry and hateful... he's still a psychopathic monster who ultimately, wanted power for selfish reasons.

I can empathise with why he feels the way he does... but like T'Challa said, he has become the thing he hates.

Do you guys think this was the best performance of Jordan's career (so far)?

Tough to say.

I'd say Fruitvale was his most powerful performance

Creed was his best performance

Black Panther (Killmonger) was his best character

I don't know if I can call it the best, but when I try to get people to watch The Wire it being a slow burn show I always say keep it up until you get to the end of Wallace's story. If you are not hooked at that point then go ahead and give up the show.

I don't know if I can call it the best, but when I try to get people to watch The Wire it being a slow burn show I always say keep it up until you get to the end of Wallace's story. If you are not hooked at that point then go ahead and give up the show.

He's had some amazing agent (s). Having done The Wire and Friday Night Lights. I even watched Parenthood some years back for his appearances.

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I was trying to find out if Eric Killmonger's Golden Jaguar Habit had any connection to anything in the comics, and the only thing I could come up with is it was a Homage to his Leopard Preyy that was kind of his side kick and pet. However, then I started wondering why they didn't call his Habit the Golden Leopard instead of the Golden Jaguar. Perhaps Jaguar sounds more intimidating, because they are a stockier animal then the Leopard, but there are some other differences that make me think his habit should be referred to as the Golden Leopard Vs. the Golden Jaguar. While both feature Rosette patterns the Jaguar's Rosette has an inner black spot within it, the Leopard does not, and it is the 2nd Rosette that is closer to what is featured on the costume. Also, Leopards are indigeneous to Africa and Asia, where as Jaguar's are indigeneous to South America primarilly. So, with Erick Killmonger being from Wakanada, which is in Africa it makes more sense that his habitt would have been called Leopard and not Jaguar. Anyways, I was just trying to find out was there really a point in the Black Panther movie where Erik Killmonger was referred to as the Gold Jaguar or is this a name that fans gave him, and in my opinion possibly incorrectly?

Surfer

I don't know if this has been discussed, but I was trying to find out if Eric Killmonger's Golden Jaguar Habit had any connection to anything in the comics, and the only thing I could come up with is it was a Homage to his Leopard Preyy that was kind of his side kick and pet. However, then I started wondering why they didn't call his Habit the Golden Leopard instead of the Golden Jaguar. Perhaps Jaguar sounds more intimidating, because they are a stockier animal then the Leopard, but there are some other differences that make me think his habit should be referred to as the Golden Leopard Vs. the Golden Jaguar. While both feature Rosette patterns the Jaguar's Rosette has an inner black spot within it, the Leopard does not, and it is the 2nd Rosette that is closer to what is featured on the costume. Also, Leopards are indigeneous to Africa and Asia, where as Jaguar's are indigeneous to South America primarilly. So, with Erick Killmonger being from Wakanada, which is in Africa it makes more sense that his habitt would have been called Leopard and not Jaguar. Anyways, I was just trying to find out was there really a point in the Black Panther movie where Erik Killmonger was referred to as the Gold Jaguar or is this a name that fans gave him, and in my opinion possibly incorrectly?

Surfer

I'm fairly certain that the 'Golden Jaguar' moniker (which is an incorrect label as you pointed out) was completely fan-made. If anything, I've only seen it on toy promotions, because they never say it in the film. That said, aside from the reference to Preyy, Killmonger did actually become the Black Panther for a time in the comics. (I believe he even met up with the Avengers and beat up Deadpool.) Also, black and gold is probably the most popular comics look, so there's another reference.

I'm fairly certain that the 'Golden Jaguar' moniker (which is an incorrect label as you pointed out) was completely fan-made. If anything, I've only seen it on toy promotions, because they never say it in the film. That said, aside from the reference to Preyy, Killmonger did actually become the Black Panther for a time in the comics. (I believe he even met up with the Avengers and beat up Deadpool.) Also, black and gold is probably the most popular comics look, so there's another reference.

Thank you for the clarification on it being an unofficial name. I just didn't think they ever called him the Gold Jaguar in the movie or in any of the comics, so I was like where did this name originate.

Thanks again!

Surfer

Dude is using BP's success to the fullest. He has so many films lined up, it's kinda Crazy.

Tough to say.

I'd say Fruitvale was his most powerful performance

Creed was his best performance

Black Panther (Killmonger) was his best character

Kilmonger is one of the best comic villains I’ve ever seen on screen. His performance was Ledger like... He was one of the most fleshed out villains we have seen in a long time.

He wasn’t on sceeen enough for me to say he was amazing. I liked the his first scene in the museum and then he disappears for half the movie. The only other good scene he got was when he met his father again. Everything else was an action scene.

He wasn’t on sceeen enough for me to say he was amazing. I liked the his first scene in the museum and then he disappears for half the movie. The only other good scene he got was when he met his father again. Everything else was an action scene.

His intro into Wakanda and his speech to Tchalla and the rest was great stuff. His last line in the movie was epic. From what I saw, this was one of the better villain performances I’ve seen on screen. His emotion and viewpoint came from a very real and dark place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"