Michael Bay brings "The Last Ship" to TNT

Sawyer

Definitely Not 40
Reaction score
Deadline:
Michael Bay-Produced Action Drama ‘The Last Ship’ Greenlighted To Pilot By TNT
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: TNT has given a pilot order to The Last Ship, an action drama series executive produced by Michael Bay. The project, originally announced as part of TNT’s development slate in May, is based on the popular novel by William Brinkley. Written by Without A Trace creator Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane (The Closer), The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. The project hails from Bay’s Platinum Dunes banner. He is executive producing the pilot with his Platinum Dunes partners Brad Fuller and Andrew Form; Steinberg, who serves as showrunner; and Kane. “The book The Last Ship is a gripping page-turner that has all the makings of a terrific television drama, including a great premise, memorable characters, intense situations and heart-racing action,” said TNT’s head of programming Michael Wright. “We look forward to working with Michael Bay and The Last Ship‘s outstanding production team.”

Over the past year or so, Bay, director-producer of such blockbusters as the Transformers and Bad Boys movie franchises, has focused on expanding his brand to television through his production company. The pilot order to The Last Ship comes on the heels of the straight-to-series order Bay and Platinum Dunes received from Starz for the Treasure Island prequel Black Sails. On the unscripted side, WME-repped Bay has a series in development at A&E. Of TNT’s most recent batch of scripted pilots one, David E. Kelley’s Monday Mornings, was picked up to series, while another, Frank Darabont’s L.A. Noir, is in serious contention for a series order.
Intrigued. :up:

Yes.

Think maybe Bay will direct the pilot?

When Deadline first reported that the show was in development a month or two ago, they said it was a possibility. Since it doesn't say as much in the article, it makes me think that plan might have changed.

Deadline:
Jonathan Mostow To Direct Michael Bay’s TNT Pilot ‘The Last Ship’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

In his first pilot gig, feature helmer Jonathan Mostow (U-571, Terminator 3) has signed on to direct and executive produce TNT‘s action drama pilot The Last Ship, executive produced by another action movie director-producer, Michael Bay.

Based on the popular novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. Without A Trace creator Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane wrote the script and are exec producing with Mostow and Platinum Dunes’ Bay, Brad Fuller and Andrew Form. In TV, WME-repped Mostow previously directed the finale of the Emmy-winning HBO mini-series From The Earth To The Moon.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/gre...r-in-michael-bay’s-tnt-pilot-‘the-last-ship’/
‘Grey’s Anatomy’s Eric Dane To Star In Michael Bay’s TNT Pilot ‘The Last Ship’
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

Departing Grey’s Anatomy co-star Eric Dane has boarded his next series project… literally. Dane has been tapped as the lead in TNT‘s action drama pilot The Last Ship, executive produced by Michael Bay. Jonathan Mostow is set to direct the pilot written by Without A Trace creator Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane.

Based on the novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the Earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. Dane will play Captain Tom Chandler, a career Navy man — authoritative, decisive, fair, courageous and a born leader, respected and loved by men and women in his command — and a loving father and husband who’s never home as much as he’d like to be. On the pilot, Dane joins recently cast Michaela McManus, Charles Parnell, Travis Van Winkle, Christina Elmore and Sam Spruell. Dane just wrapped his role as Dr. Mark Slone aka McSteamy on ABC’s long-running medical drama Grey’s Anatomy, where he spent six seasons.

Deadline:
EXCLUSIVE: Veteran character actor Titus Welliver (Lost, Sons Of Anarchy, The Good Wife) has been cast in TNT‘s action drama pilot The Last Ship, executive produced by Michael Bay. Jonathan Mostow is set to direct the pilot written by Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane. Based on the novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the Earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. Welliver will play Mike Slattery, second in command to Captain Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) onboard the USS Nathan James, a fair man who cares deeply for his family. He and Tom clash at times over what is the best course of action.
Rhona Mitra has been tapped as the female lead opposite Eric Dane in TNT‘s action drama pilot The Last Ship, executive produced by Michael Bay. Jonathan Mostow is set to direct the pilot written by Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane. Based on the novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the Earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. British-born Mitra will play Rachel Scott, a direct, strong-willed, intelligent, and fearless paleomicrobiologist. Dane plays the ship’s captain. Mitra, repped by Untitled and Ken McReddie in the UK, most recently starred on Cinemax’s Strike Back.
The Man in Black + Rhona Mitra's fine ass? Alright... I'm in. :up:

Sounds like Revolution meets the Last Resort.

http://www.deadline.com/2012/10/tit...-ship-pilot-chucks-adam-baldwin-repleces-him/
Titus Welliver Pulls Out Of TNT’s ‘Last Ship’ Pilot, ‘Chuck’s Adam Baldwin Replaces Him
By NELLIE ANDREEVA

EXCLUSIVE: Titus Welliver has been forced to leave the TNT drama pilot The Last Ship because of a family health emergency. The network would not elaborate, but Welliver’s wife has been ill.

In his first pilot since Chuck, NBC spy series’ co-star Adam Baldwin has been tapped to replace Welliver in Last Ship, executive produced by Michael Bay. Jonathan Mostow is set to direct the pilot written by Hank Steinberg and Steven Kane. Based on the novel by William Brinkley, The Last Ship centers on the crew of a naval destroyer who, after a global catastrophe decimates the Earth’s population, are forced to confront the reality of their new existence in a world where they are among the only survivors. Baldwin will play Mike Slattery, second in command to Captain Tom Chandler (Eric Dane) onboard the USS Nathan James. He’s a fair man who cares deeply for his family. He and Tom clash at times over the best course of action. Baldwin, repped by A Management and APA, recently did an arc on NBC’s Law & Order: SVU and appeared on TNT’s drama Leverage.

As for Welliver, given the circumstances, I hear TNT brass may find another role for him on Last Ship if it goes to series.

Seriously, folks, Dat Rhona Mitra. Don't tell me I'm alone on this one. :o

She's hot and a decent actress and the helicopter and snowmobile's action looks like good old Bayhem, but I'm not a huge fan of biological disease as the main threat.

She's hot and a decent actress and the helicopter and snowmobile's action looks like good old Bayhem, but I'm not a huge fan of biological disease as the main threat.

Nor I. And though the trailer doesn't show much, Adam Baldwin's role looks...limited. I feel like they can do more with him. Hell, he should be the captain, IMO.

Nor I. And though the trailer doesn't show much, Adam Baldwin's role looks...limited. I feel like they can do more with him. Hell, he should be the captain, IMO.

Yeah the guy they have in the lead looks wooden, I'll probably just watch the pilot for the action and then drop it. :funny:

I wasn't sure this was a Michael Bay series at first, then the explosions started...

I wish Michael Bay would stop bringing it to the front page of the Hype every time I click a page.

Because I'm sure he was personally responsible for the decision...

Considering the stuff he has been responsible for, that'd be the least of his crimes. :o

pretty good so far... it's got ME hooked...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"