Michael Mann Thriller Starring Hemsworth

Except Father has a grasp of this little thing called "story." Texas Killing Fields was a mess, imo. Daughter may be able to somewhat imitate her father's visual style, but she seems to have inherited none of his talent as a storyteller.

Anyway, it's nice to see Hemsworth branching out to the non-action hero arena with projects like this and Rush. As of right now, I have a hard time even imagining him in a Michael Mann movie, which is what makes this prospect exciting to me.

Kind of like David Lynch's daughter.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...ft-thriller-starring-chris-hemsworth-20130409
Reports out of Asian media have revealed that Mann is currently scouting locations in Hong Kong, and has been meeting with notable talent for roles including Tang Wei ("Lust, Caution"), Nick Cheung Ka-fai ("Election") and Shawn Yue Man-lok ("Infernal Affairs," "I Come With The Rain"). And while specifics are still being kept under wraps, we have learned the story will involve a Balkan hacker operating out of a south Asian country, with an American and Chinese task force in pursuit.
Intriguing stuff, and even more intriguing that it's set up at Legendary Pictures (home of stuff like "The Dark Knight Rises," "Man Of Steel" and "Pacific Rim")

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/michael-manns-new-film-feature-435732

[Michael Mann's New Film to Feature Sino-U.S. Anti-Hacking Task Force (Exclusive)

The as-yet-untitled, partly Hong Kong-set cyber-thriller will see American and Chinese agents teaming up to pursue a common adversary hailing from the Balkans.

HONG KONG – Washington and Beijing will soon be joining forces to tackle hackers – in a movie, that is.

Michael Mann’s new thriller will feature American and Chinese agents working together to combat cyber-theft.

The Legendary Pictures-backed project, which is to boast of Chris Hemsworth in a lead role, will revolve around a U.S.-China task force pursuing a hacker hailing from the Balkans and based in a Southeast Asian country, according to a rep for Mann.

The rep is responding to a report published in a Hong Kong newspaper on Tuesday about Mann’s location-scouting and casting trip to the city during the weekend. In the Apple Daily article, the film was said to center on a pair of Chinese hacker siblings, and Mann had met with local A-listers Tang Wei, Nick Cheung Ka-fai and Shawn Yue Man-lok for the roles.

This depiction of a productive collaboration between the U.S. and China would be the latest in a string of onscreen working relationships between the two countries.

Roland Emmerich’s 2012, for example, saw the Chinese building arks to save the world – or to be specific, the international political and social elite – from Armageddon; Iron Man 3, meanwhile, features Dr. Wu (played by veteran Chinese thespian Wang Xueqi), a scientist-doctor who will save Tony Stark’s life.

The presence of Chinese protagonists will also be a first in Mann’s career. He previously featured a Chinese character in Miami Vice, but one who was morally ambiguous: Gong Li plays a Cuban-Chinese gangster’s mole involved in a tryst with Colin Farrell’s Detective Tubbs.

http://www.deadline.com/2013/04/viola-davis-to-star-in-michael-man-movie-cyber/

Viola Davis In Talks To Star In Michael Mann’s Cyber Crime Pic

EXCLUSIVE: Viola Davis is in talks to star as the female lead in the untitled Michael Mann-directed pic. Legendary Pictures is producing the pic, a thriller about cyber crime, which is set to begin shooting in China next month. Davis, repped by CAA and Principal Entertainment, just wrapped production on Prisoners and Ender’s Game, both set for fall releases.

So when are they gonna give this bad boy a title?

Viola Davis is an interesting choice for female lead, I'm guessing she'll be the boss of Hemsworth as opposed to a romantic interest.

Viola Davis is an interesting choice for female lead, I'm guessing she'll be the boss of Hemsworth as opposed to a romantic interest.

I'd pay money to see the latter.

Set photo.

article-2339416-1A407BD9000005DC-1000_634x825.jpg

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=109573
Thor: The Dark World star Chris Hemsworth provided more details about Michael Mann's upcoming thriller, Cyber, in an interview at the Cologne, Germany premiere of Rush with Film Futter.

"I just finished it. It's based in the world of cyber terrorism," Hemsworth said. "Basically, something similar to the Chicago Board of Trade is hacked into and it sets off a chain of events around the world, affecting the stock market. And the code that was used to hack into it, my character had written it years before and he happens to be in prison for cyber crime. He is pulled out and offered a deal if he works with a joint task force of the FBI and the Chinese goverment in trying to track this guy down. It starts off in Chicago and ends up in Kuala Lumpur, in Hong Kong and in Jakarta. It's this sort of cat-and-mouse international heist-thriller."

He added this somewhat spoilery bit as well.

"It was fascinating. I knew nothing about that world. It's very prominent now as we see what hacking and cyber terrorism can do, like shutting down power grids in other countries. In our film, he (the villain) shuts down the water pumps to overheat the cooling system in a nuclear power plant and causes a whole lot of chaos. When you do that research, you realize how vulnerable you are."

Universal Pictures has not set a release date yet for the film, which co-stars Viola Davis, Hanny Montana, Spencer Garrett, Wei Tang, Archie Kao and Leehom Wang.

It's interesting that Hemsworth is playing a hacker as opposed to an agent, and I like the sound of heists! :D

I really hope Mann is over his phase of making his films looks like they where shot on his iPhone. Or at least do it right again like Collateral.

Good to hear that it has some classic Mann shootouts!

Does anybody else get Dolph Lundgren vibes from Hemsworth?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"