Luke Cage Mike Colter is Luke Cage!

BarryAllen

ey b0ss
Reaction score
Mike-Colter-Luke-Cage.jpg

Wanted to make a thread because there wasn't one for him like with Cox as Daredevil and Ritter as Jessica Jones.

What do you guys think about his casting? How do you think they'll portray Luke Cage? Sound of below!

I thought of him as Cage when I first saw him on "The Good Wife". I felt he had a great presence.

I just realised I have seen Mike Colter before. He was in Ringer as Sarah Michelle Gellar's sponsor. I don't recall him being all that interesting to watch in that series, and at the time he never really struck me as Luke Cage. Hopefully he'd give a better performance in this series.

I just realised I have seen Mike Colter before. He was in Ringer as Sarah Michelle Gellar's sponsor. I don't recall him being all that interesting to watch in that series, and at the time he never really struck me as Luke Cage. Hopefully he'd give a better performance in this series.

You need to watch him on The Good Wife.

Finished JJ yesterday and I really liked Colter as Cage. Excited to see his show. When does it premiere?

Finished JJ yesterday and I really liked Colter as Cage. Excited to see his show. When does it premiere?
There' no premiere date yet. It's in production right now and the best estimate is that with DD season 2 most likely to be spring of next year, Luke Cage will be out in Fall 2016.

Really looking forward to Cage's show next year after watching him in JJ, would rather see that before DD S2 but oh well. Colter did a pretty fantastic job, gave the character a good amount of depth and presence in limited time. His powers seemed pretty reasonable in a MCU setting. I do think they made him too nice and likable in JJ, hopefully he gets more of a mean streak going in his own show.

Well I think in comparison to Jessica, many people are nicer. Also he was more the romantic antagonist. In his show I expect him to have his nerves tested because he's not trying to romance a girl.

Well I think in comparison to Jessica, many people are nicer. Also he was more the romantic antagonist. In his show I expect him to have his nerves tested because he's not trying to romance a girl.

But when it comes around time for the Defenders, aren't their personalities going to seem a little redundant? Because the way Jessica Jones was acting reminded me so much of '70s Cage (minus the drinking), that it makes me wonder how they're going to approach him in his own show. Hoepfully it's not a watered down, white-washed version.

Really looking forward to Cage's show next year after watching him in JJ, would rather see that before DD S2 but oh well. Colter did a pretty fantastic job, gave the character a good amount of depth and presence in limited time. His powers seemed pretty reasonable in a MCU setting. I do think they made him too nice and likable in JJ, hopefully he gets more of a mean streak going in his own show.

Agreed

I'd like to see Cage wear this in his solo series.
3106706-2135028143-MUA2_.jpg

Mike-Colter-Luke-Cage.jpg

Wanted to make a thread because there wasn't one for him like with Cox as Daredevil and Ritter as Jessica Jones.

What do you guys think about his casting? How do you think they'll portray Luke Cage? Sound of below!
It's a little creepy how much those he looks like Cage.

The ol' angry black man stereo type eh?? That's what you want?

The ol' angry black man stereo type eh?? That's what you want?

Just because we want him to have an edge to him doesn't mean we want them to do the angry black man stereotype. However, Luke Cage should be a badass dude who is more of a take-action kind of guy rather than hide and not get involved, which is the approach the show took.

Just because we want him to have an edge to him doesn't mean we want them to do the angry black man stereotype. However, Luke Cage should be a badass dude who is more of a take-action kind of guy rather than hide and not get involved, which is the approach the show took.

I loved their take on him. He was the bad ass that didn't need to throw it in your face. It's very close to Ostrander's 90's Heroes for Hire characterization. They showed his angry streak in the show too when he found out about what JJ did.

Can't wait for the show to premiere, been waiting for it for decades.

When Luke was angry in the comics it was justified.

Anyone would be angry if they were falsely imprisoned, brutalized, nearly murdered, betrayed and told their loved ones were dead.

Don't know a thing about Luke, but hopefully he gets more personality in the solo. Was somewhat boring in jj.

I wouldn't say he was boring but I think the role was underplayed. To carry a show I think he'll need to start playing it a little larger.

Luke Cage in the comics has more personality, particularly the 70s version of him. Colter was rather understated and lacking in that department. When he said "Sweet Christmas", it sometimes sounded just like a line he felt he had to say, instead of a genuine expression of surprise or excitement. I think he needs to put more emotion into it and be generally a more fast-talking, loud-mouthed character.

I think when he says that catchphrase, it has to sound more Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall or even Will Smith-like, and not more like a more sensible and refined gentleman uttering this.

Luke is the lead in his own series so will probably have more expressive dramatic work. The character is written and directed by directed by different people from his JJ appearance.

I'd like to see Cage wear this in his solo series.
3106706-2135028143-MUA2_.jpg
there has to be a scene where he get's attacked by someone with a chain...grabs it looks at it, smiles, wraps it around his hand and punches him through a wall

Last edited:
How is this thread only one page?!!

I'm about 9 episodes in and I am absolutely LOVING this show. And Colter is the biggest reason why. He was born to play this role. I love how Luke is just a straight up good guy; he has his conflicts, his problems, etc., but they allow him to stay a true blue hero throughout.

DO YOU SEE WB?! DO YOU SEE HOW IT'S POSSIBLE TO MAKE AN ALL-AROUND GOOD CHARACTER INTERESTING?! You should be watching this show and taking notes as you write the treatment for that Man of Steel sequel.

I think they reason they altered the character is they wanted him to be less of a stereotypical, blaxploitation-esque character that would be more prone to criticism.

Instead he's highly educated. Had a fairly well-to-do background. His father was a jerk, but he was in his life and was always around it appeared to keep his son on the straight and narrow. Went into the marines, and served as a police officer.

Now I can understand the criticisms for changing his background. At the same time, I think there is a big lack of positive black role models out there, so I don't have a problem with glossing up a character like Cage that much. I don't really have a problem that they made him a good who had one bad night where he went on a stupid joyride instead of a recovering gang banger.

I'm more conflicted that he's basically an outsider of sorts to Harlem. The thing is, Harlem is not his home. It's an adopted home more or less, but he's not Harlem born and bred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"