Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Ming-Na Wen IS Agent Melinda May

Wonder why she seems to be the only one sporting the SHIELD logo.
tumblr_mmsqk6BUiV1r4dsjko4_250.jpg

She seems to be the only one who is geared for combat... and the most extensively trained for it. If she's a legend in the organization she might be a one woman army so to speak. "Glad we have Captain America now, so Melinda can take a break..."

I think Ward is supposed to be geared for combat as well. But yeah, Melinda May seems to be some kind of legend amongst the SHIELD ranks, so I'm sure she'll be Badass #1.

I think she'll end up being my favorite of the newbies.

Not all hope is lost. My hubby is older than me (31) and he's white, but he still looks like he's in college. Maybe high school if you don't see his face closely. :oldrazz: (It helps that he's got a tiny frame and still hasn't filled out...) Stay out of the sun, don't smoke, don't do drugs, and don't drink to excess. :up:

Are you married now? Congratulations. :up: When did that happen?

how long was she on ER? I wanted her character to stay longer.
And while i'm not offended that her SHIELD character knows how to fight, I have to wonder was it automatically a given that the "asian character" in the mix would absolutely be a "martial arts expert", (sigh)...

And while i'm not offended that her SHIELD character knows how to fight, I have to wonder was it automatically a given that the "asian character" in the mix would absolutely be a "martial arts expert", (sigh)...

Because only asians know martial arts, right? Right?

What type of fighting styles are not considered "martial arts?"

But seriously, all asians know martial arts. It is known :ninja:

Yeah, I saw that too, I just rolled my eyes. It's also possible that Ming Na's actual martial arts training just got added to the character.

They could always have Coulson use the Brazilian Jiu Jitsu that Clark Gregg is trained in.

Because only asians know martial arts, right? Right?

What type of fighting styles are not considered "martial arts?"

But seriously, all asians know martial arts. It is known :ninja:

Yeah, I saw that too, I just rolled my eyes. It's also possible that Ming Na's actual martial arts training just got added to the character.

Interestingly, co-writer/producer Marissa Tancheroen is Asian and two of the characters are played by Asian actresses. If there were any issue regarding Na's character being a martial arts expert, I am sure that one of them would have flagged it.

I think the only genre-type show I've seen where an Asian doesn't know martial arts is Lucy Liu in Elementary, and even in there, it's only because she's written that way, not that she hasn't done it in other films. However, she has been told to take up self defence to protect herself.

Interestingly, co-writer/producer Marissa Tancheroen is Asian and two of the characters are played by Asian actresses. If there were any issue regarding Na's character being a martial arts expert, I am sure that one of them would have flagged it.

I'm not sure that's how it works. They might be fine with it, for a dozen reasons, and I might be like "Okay, enough is enough."

So now we can never again have an Asian character who's a trained hand to hand combatant because we might offend someone? Makes sense. :dry:

Maybe they should have made the Asian the science nerd instead. I'm sure no one would have had a problem with that.

Can we never depict Asians or whoever doing their stereotype thing? Do Asian folks not do martial arts? They do, right? So isn't it possible that the Asian person may know martial arts? That the Asian knows martial arts should not elicit an automatic eye roll, but be accepted as a normal thing that people, all people, from every background do.

Maybe they should have casted the character as a white person so folks could ***** about there not being enough diversity. :whatever:

Maybe they should have made the Asian the science nerd instead. I'm sure no one would have had a problem with that.

Can we never depict Asians or whoever doing their stereotype thing? Do Asian folks not do martial arts? They do, right? So isn't it possible that the Asian person may know martial arts? That the Asian knows martial arts should not elicit an automatic eye roll, but be accepted as a normal thing that people, all people, from every background do.

Maybe they should have casted the character as a white person so folks could ***** about there not being enough diversity. :whatever:

Actually, science nerd is the other typical Asian stereotype that is overused. Maybe they should've given an Asian the Agent Ward role. :p

Female in the #2 role and a dude in the ass-kicker role is sooooo stereotypical.

I don't understand what the big deal is. So Agent May knows martial arts, big whoop. Captain America, Black Widow, Hawkeye and other non-asian SHIELD agents also know martial arts. It's not as if she's wearing karate gear.

Yeah. Anyone remember this song Maurissa sang on the Dr. Horrible commentary? It's called "Nobody's Asian in the Movies". It's pretty funny and seemed relevant.
[YT]MNmzegQUtFA[/YT]

So now we can never again have an Asian character who's a trained hand to hand combatant because we might offend someone? Makes sense. :dry:

Offending someone is unavoidable. I think it's possible to go forward for one's own reasons but still understand that some people may be reasonably offended. I also think it's important to recognize when you're employing racial stereotypes, even unintentionally, and acknowledge that honestly. Regardless, there's no need to try and justify why no one else should feel differently, just do what you believe is best.

Offending someone is unavoidable. I think it's possible to go forward for one's own reasons but still understand that some people may be reasonably offended. I also think it's important to recognize when you're employing racial stereotypes, even unintentionally, and acknowledge that honestly. Regardless, there's no need to try and justify why no one else should feel differently, just do what you believe is best.

AKA someone on the internet will find something to whine about no matter what you do.

Yeah, I wish people didn't have to be dismissive in order to disagree, but if that's the best you can do, I'll take it.

Really? We are complaining about an Asian character knowing martial arts? Must every character subvert expectations these days?

The media doesn't always do white guys wearing suits, even the one called Suits. In contrast, All Asians Know Martial Arts is an actual racial stereotype. Just a fact. We can point that out without condemning the people as racist. They'll probably handle it very well.

Really? We are complaining about an Asian character knowing martial arts? Must every character subvert expectations these days?

No one is angry. No one is calling the showmakers racist. I don't even think 'eye rolling' and 'I have to wonder' qualify as complaining. An observation about a very tried and true racial stereotypes was made. That's all. This need to dismiss any honest racial commentary is troublesome. I thought it was just Whiskey, but it seems like several of you really need this observation to disappear ASAP, and anyone who participated in it should feel shamed. Am I reading that right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"