Mirror's Edge Thread

If it improves sales or whatever, then fine. But I just think the whole idea that obligatory multiplayer will inherently add value and keep people interested is a total fallacy. I imagine that anyone who will even bother to play Mirror's multiplayer in the first place will probably only play it once or twice and then go back to Call of Duty or Halo or Killzone or whatever.

Haphazard multiplayer that no one will play for any significant length of time to me is just a waste of resources that could be better spent improving the campaign. But like I say, if it helps move copies then go for it I guess.

As long as they get rid of the bloody speed runs, I'll be happy.

Curse you, EA and DICE for denying me my Platinum! :argh:

Finally picked up this game for the PS3. Played a little, but got my hands full with Assassin's Creed 2 so far.

The game is alot of fun. Can sometimes be frustrating because of the trial and error and the combat, face down more than two cops...and suddenly you've got hell on your hands.

But, this game was a ballsy move by EA. I hope the latest failures at EA don't sway them to stop taking chances, because I think Mirror's Edge is a unique concept put to use.

The combat was the most frustrating feature for me. But I just bought the game (again)for like $3 on Steam and I'm looking forward to playing it again, so I think its positives ultimately outweigh its negatives.

^There's a few options that can only be turned on in the config file... ambient occlusion/Dx10 e.t.c

I'm really enjoying it, I thought it would simply be an "ok" game at best to be honest. I generally like the fact they deliberately took emphasis off the combat by gimping guns, limiting ammo and making the character as strong as paper. Another thing I liked, the game is linear as linear can be but the illusion of an open and larger game world with less boundries than it actually has, is done extremely well, better than most games. The story telling is awful though in my opinion, the artsy cut-scenes look like something a kid made in flash. When you compare that to the phenomenal in-game presentation, it's ugly by comparison. As far as presentation for multiplat games go, personally I don't think anything matches it. Visually the game consistently looks beautiful, it's very difficult to find the visual wort's as it is in other games, even taking into account Crysis.

I'm still on XP, so DX10 isn't an option for me.

Anyway, yeah, visuals and action are the definite high points for the game and are exceptional all around. The story and combat really pull it down, though, especially later on.

^There's a few options that can only be turned on in the config file... ambient occlusion/Dx10 e.t.c

I'm really enjoying it, I thought it would simply be an "ok" game at best to be honest. I generally like the fact they deliberately took emphasis off the combat by gimping guns, limiting ammo and making the character as strong as paper. Another thing I liked, the game is linear as linear can be but the illusion of an open and larger game world with less boundries than it actually has, is done extremely well, better than most games. The story telling is awful though in my opinion, the artsy cut-scenes look like something a kid made in flash. When you compare that to the phenomenal in-game presentation, it's ugly by comparison. As far as presentation for multiplat games go, personally I don't think anything matches it. Visually the game consistently looks beautiful, it's very difficult to find the visual wort's as it is in other games, even taking into account Crysis.

I liked that, too, but I hated that they still forced you into said combat in several occasions. I think they should do that and give a way of avoiding all combat encounters. They did they really earlier in the game, but seem to abandon the idea near the last third or so of the game.

Overall, I loved the game despite the problems I had with it. Great concept, looking forward to any continuation

If there is a sequel, it needs more complicated and fun platforming, and less combat against gun wielding foes, and it would be a fantastic game.

Much like Assassin's Creed, the free running is a lot of fun, and I hope it has a chance to be expanded upon.

More hand-to-hand combat would be cool. Or they need to beef up Faith's arsenal of moves against armed opponents. Or just downplay combat and accept that the game's strengths lie elsewhere.

The fact that it comes so soon doesn't help, either. The game had a weird paradox going on where it was way too short but, because of the intense amount of frustratingly broken combat in the last third of the game, I was utterly relieved when the final cutscene started playing.

I was just like, "Really, guys, really?" at that ending. Not even going to try to put any half assed resolution or anything. Just kind of going to stop it right there, huh? Just....stopping it:dry:

Well, they had to leave room to play that song that they used for like every single commercial. ;)

Being stupid I didn't realize until about a third into the game you could pick up there weapons, it made the combat abit easier but I see the point you were making, the combat orientation towards the end felt the game was trying to tick a box of criteria that didn't need ticked. Some combat parts were decent I thought, I particularly enjoyed the rail-way segment as well as the night levels with snipers.

The scripted events in the game generally worked pretty well e.g. hanging off the chopper seeing you're reflection in the building was extremely neat, I don't understand why they just use those, the story telling would have been far better presented and the game would have been even more immersing.

Minor quibbles aside though, it did genuinely feel like something fresh from the snore-fest shooters we get these days, I eagerly look forward to the sequel.

Last edited:
Yeah, it was a flawed but really ambitious game that deserved the attention it got, in my opinion.

Wow, I never thought I'd see two Zune users in the same place. I thought you guys were an endangered species.

;)

I decided on a whim to treat myself with a early Christmas gift and ordered up a 120hz monitor and proper stereoscopic 3d glasses, this game will probably be pretty cool with depth perception.

The" Nvidia 3d vision" stereoscopic pair with shutters are about £190 (not sure about dollars). However the price is substantially increased as they require a 120hz monitor or 120hz HD-TV which at the moment, aren't standard, so it's costing £360 as part of a bundle with a 120hz Samsung monitor. It's pretty expensive, could probably buy another pc or two consoles for that price but pretty much everything I have heard about them has been resoundingly positive and they along with the moniter will probably last many years.

The pair I got with the GTX260 are "3d Discover" basically a pair of Red/Cyan anaglyph glasses like the old ones they used in cinemas, inside the Nvidia control panel there is an option to turn 3d on, you get decent depth perception but screwed up color and apparently the depth perception in the stereoscopic shutter glasses are superior by comparison giving a much greater better sense of depth as well as perfect color and no ghosting of images.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"