Mission: Impossible - Fallout - Part 2

Wouldn’t you say the
Solomon Lane extraction
was the heist?
The plan involved:

- creating a diversion
- knocking his armoured car into the water
- getting him out the armoured car while under water
- removing the tracking device from his neck and simultaneously inserting one in (although we didn’t know that until later)
- then getting him back to be detained (and released because they knew he’d try to escape and then they could track him to lead them to the plutonium)
It wasn’t explained explicitly like they normally do but it kinda was when
the Ethan as John Lark imaginary sequence played out during his conversation with White Widow and her brother.
Sorry if that sounds disrespectful, it’s not my intention (“,)

Yes it was a bit of one but in my mind it didn't stand out compared to Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation. It boiled down to knocking the truck into the water and a Chase scene. I'm not saying it was bad because it was great. It just didn't seem like a heist when I think about the other Mission Impossible movies is all

This film was so good that my biggest worry ([BLACKOUT]no elaborated heist sequence[/BLACKOUT]) didn't bother me at all.

Everyone is clamoring for McQuarrie to direct a Superman movie, and I'm sure he would kill it, but I also think these past two M:I movies prove that he would also pretty darn well suited to Batman. McQuarrie clearly excels at delivering tightly plotted, well-crafted thrillers/mysteries that are as intense as they are fun to watch, featuring things like femme fatales and focusing on characters who operate in a moral grey area. He's also extremely proficient at staging/filming "real" practical stunts and set pieces (a la Chris Nolan), as well as brutal hand-to-hand combat scenes (MUCH better than Nolan), in way that is over-the-top and exciting while still being tethered to "reality".

Reposting my thoughts for the new thread. I thoroughly enjoyed it. But I do think I enjoyed Rogue Nation slightly more. The plot and story was a little more tighter.

The good

The women. All the women were strong and independent but not written as shrills. I wish they actually had dialogue scenes together but still great overall.

I liked Ilsa more in RN more because she was a bit of a mystery in that one. But Rebecca Ferguson is a goddess.

Vanessa Kirby was also great. I haven’t seen her in anything else. Her being Max’s daughter wasn’t necessary at all but I bought her in the role because she sounded just like her.

Michelle Monaghan had a small but pivotal role. I was worried they were just going to have her show up just to get captured. But they did her character justice and it was nice to get real closure on that part of Ethan’s life.

“Suit up”. I’ll take that as a reference to Henry’s other big role. I liked that he actually wasn’t able to fly at all and needed saving, which I took as another wink to his Superman role.

“Are we clear?” “Crystal”. Nice reference to A Few Good Men

The HALO dive. The effects were seamless and well done. I liked it more than the finale I think.

The bathroom fight.

Hunley getting in on the action.

The not as good
I liked Cavill in the role but the character himself was written weak. I never bought he was tough guy who cleaned up messes. He passed out in the HALO jump. He barely held his own in the bathroom fight. If it wasn’t for Henry’s physique, I wouldn’t have considered him much of a threat.

The IMF team. I liked Benji and Luther but I really wish there was a female on the team. Ilsa is perhaps an honorary member but not officially.

Boo to killing Hunley. We finally get a director that gets along with Hunt and they kill him off.

Cruise is still amazing with his dedication but his age is starting to show. There were some scenes where his face was kind of puffy and you can tell this was a 55 year old man. I don’t know how much more he has left in him.

The reviews are insane.... It would be awesome if this movie makes close to $100M OW... (domestic)

Last edited:
According to Gitesh Pandya,
Fallout made 6 million dollars last night.
That is 50% more than Rogue Nation did on its preview night.
Pandya predicts a robust weekend ahead.

Let's be honest, Tom Cruise will most likely leave the series in the only way he can... by dying in the most insane MI stunt ever.

Yes it was a bit of one but in my mind it didn't stand out compared to Ghost Protocol or Rogue Nation. It boiled down to knocking the truck into the water and a Chase scene. I'm not saying it was bad because it was great. It just didn't seem like a heist when I think about the other Mission Impossible movies is all

That’s fair enough, I get what you’re saying.

They've done/used airplanes, helicopters, skydiving, underwater, motorcycles, cars, boats, buildings, elevators, sand storm, bridges, rock climbing, foot chases. We haven't seen a train since the first movie. The next one should involve something with a train!. #TrainsForM:I7 (?)

I find them
Killing off Hunley already.
to be kind of disappointing though.

I find them

I liked that, unlike most blockbuster films/MCU movies, Hunley's death raised the stakes and showed that the "good guys" aren't truly invincible.

Except that they just did that in GP with Tom Wilkinson, the last IMF Director. So they just repeated themselves.

Everyone is clamoring for McQuarrie to direct a Superman movie, and I'm sure he would kill it, but I also think these past two M:I movies prove that he would also pretty darn well suited to Batman. McQuarrie clearly excels at delivering tightly plotted, well-crafted thrillers/mysteries that are as intense as they are fun to watch, featuring things like femme fatales and focusing on characters who operate in a moral grey area. He's also extremely proficient at staging/filming "real" practical stunts and set pieces (a la Chris Nolan), as well as brutal hand-to-hand combat scenes (MUCH better than Nolan), in way that is over-the-top and exciting while still being tethered to "reality".

Entirely agree with this :up:

In an ideal world, I’d have Reeves move across to Superman, and have McQuarrie on Batman.

After watching the above video, i really want to see Tom do a comedy again. He really has a good comedic timing if the video above is any indication.

God how I love this film. It's got everything! It honestly feels like from GP to this is a second trilogy, seeing as these 3 films had subtitles while the first 3 were just numbered sequels. There's a consistent flow between the latter 3 films too. And that chemistry between Ethan and Ilsa was just insane good. One of those rare spy movies where the love interests have total trust in one another, even in the face of one of them seemingly harming the other, they know there has to be a reason and continues to maintain that trust. Also loved Luther's
little story background on what happened in between movies with Julia and the possibilities with Ilsa. It pretty much tie's up Julia's arc neatly with a bow for Hunt o move forward with Ilsa.
And those action set pieces were just insane. The last movie to give me an adrenaline pump like this was Rush.
I find them
It seemed more like a setup for [BLACKOUT]Erica Sloane to take over as head of IMF[/BLACKOUT] if there's another film in the future.

Imagine Hunt will go out on a bang, detonating a bomb mid air on some insane set piece.

God how I love this film. It's got everything! It honestly feels like from GP to this is a second trilogy, seeing as these 3 films had subtitles while the first 3 were just numbered sequels.There's a consistent flow between the latter 3 films too. And that chemistry between Ethan and Ilsa was just insane good. One of those rare spy movies where the love interests have total trust in one another, even in the face of one of them seemingly harming the other, they know there has to be a reason and continues to maintain that trust. Also loved Luther's
little story background on what happened in between movies with Julia and the possibilities with Ilsa. It pretty much tie's up Julia's arc neatly with a bow for Hunt o move forward with Ilsa.
And those action set pieces were just insane. The last movie to give me an adrenaline pump like this was Rush.
It seemed more like a setup for [BLACKOUT]Erica Sloane to take over as head of IMF[/BLACKOUT] if there's another film in the future.

I said this in part 1 (which was really part 2 lol) of the thread. Even called it the “subtitle trilogy” :yay:

It's a great film and I think that McQuarrie should direct the next film so it's tied as his unofficial trilogy from RN to 7. If he's unavailable, maybe Joseph Kosinki or Doug Liman can direct the next film.

I was disappointed they
killed off Hunley but it does pave the way for Erica to become the new secretary, although I wouldn't be shocked if they hire a name for the IMF secretary

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Francuz231
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"