Modelling and Painting

Do a model of the Stingray submarine from the Gerry and Silvia Anderson TV series.

The plexiglass display must contain water. :word:

Good grief... As if I don't already have enough things to make on my list! :hehe:

I’m resurrecting this thread... I need to ask my Hypester brothers and sisters a question.
What do I put in here?
View attachment 33879 View attachment 33880
The City of Atlantis?

il_794xN.1144168742_t99s.jpg

I’ve been printing more of his bits...!

2020-04-30 09.17.29.jpg

Last edited:
2020-04-29 19.08.18.jpg
The workshop is free of the Viper, now I can start on the Eagle Transporter...

Just how good are 3D printers, and what exactly are they capable of doing?

I've been toying with the idea for a while now; the idea of buying some 40k Space Marines and having them scanned in, upscaled, and then 3d printed to ultimately become more defined 6-7" models, rather than miniatures.

I'd just like a display of say, three of them on a platform, custom painted by me afterwards, but I wonder firstly whether their initial resolution would distort a final product, and/or if it's even something that'll look as good at the end as I imagine it to be.

Thoughts?

@Flash525

There are about as many things that you can print as those that you can't! :D
Ultimately it is all about the effective resolution of the printer.
If my memory serves, on an FDM type 3D printer it is possible to go as small as a 0.2mm extrusion nozzle and 0.1mm layers.

However, the trade off is that the thinner the material and the more layers there are, the longer it takes to print.
The scourge of 3D printers, in my opinion are overhangs. If an overhang angle is too high, then the print will fail as it tries to lay down layers in mid air! Of course it is possible to generate supports, but this will use more filament and extend the printing time further.

If you are going to upscale your miniatures to 6-7 inches then I think you should be able to print these quite well.

But be prepared to set aside a lot of time learning how to set up your printer and spend frequent amounts of time physically maintaining it too...

Ultimately, it is a fun and sometimes practical thing to have in your arsenal if you are a hobbyist.

FWIW... I think the best 3D printers are the resin based type. If I ever have any spare money, I will get one.

If you do decide to get one, I recommend that you ensure you have a build surface with an X/Y axis of at least 250mm and a Z axis of at least 200mm.

In closing I will say that what I have learned owning and using a 3D printer is to have patience and expect things to go wrong more often that you would like or indeed expect. And that 3D printing is definitely more of an art than a science...

Now, on a serious note: how much time does it take to print the Yoda head and how much does it costs?

Or that's something you don't take into consideration? Nor the time or the costs.

Cause you can basically print anything you want, right? An "irreplaceable" fitting for a collectible, for example. You just put the day into the computer and the machine will build it.

@MissMarvelous87
I think it took 36 hours to print the head... :confused:
I don’t even want to think about the electricity costs of running a laptop and the printers heated bed (65 degrees celsius) and extruder (215 degrees celsius) for 36 hours!

Appreciate the information @RetrogradeOrbit , but if I do this, I’ll seek out a third party. I’m not much of a hobbyist, this would likely just be a one time thing.

Darn, I didn’t realise just how inaccurate this kit is to the shooting model... Oh well.

I had a similar Eagle model kit in this scale as a kid in the 70s. That one might've been from AMT, but not sure. I mostly built cars, but as awesome as the Eagle is I had to build it. I only painted the four big black areas on the cockpit and the red stripes on that middle cabin (which was detachable). Of course using masking tape etc was an unknown strategy, so those red stripes looked terrible lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"