MODOK in the MCU: Which franchise?

You can't say that MODOK is Iron Man's main nemesis either.

That still doesn't change the fact that MODOK is often cast as an Iron Man villain in other media and other media often trumps comic books with the general audience.

But that's one of MODOK's main problems, he really doesn't have an intense or interesting with anyone, so its hard to make him into a Big bad for a movie. All three of the heroes mentioned, have a lot of villains that are more prominent then MODOK and most of them don't have the same problem of having a character design that is hard to pull off in live action. Its easier to make a movie about a villain that has an interesting rivalry with the hero, then one who doesn't. How many great Cap vs. MODOK stories are there, for example?

As much as I would love to see MODOK show up in a movie, I figured Marvel thought the character was a little too out there to adapt into film. But now with Guardians of the Galaxy happening with characters like Groot and Rocket Raccoon, I guess anything is possibly now. I mean they are introducing AIM in Iron Man 3 so....

I've always loved MODOK, mainly because he's freaky-looking and has such a weird origin. Also, my brothers and I used to read his villainous monologues out loud, trying to come up with the best freakish voice for him. Big head, baby legs -- what's not to love?

If they use MODOK at all it should be in Iron Man, Captain America or SHIELD because those are the adversaries he's most associated with. When CA:TFA's writers said that they were pushing for MODOK in CA2, I was all for it. He would make a great behind the scenes menace, with the big reveal of hos monstrous appearance withheld until the end of the movie. But Feige didn't seem keen on the idea, and they've since gone with the Winter Soldier story. Unless they fold MODOK and AIM into HYDRA, that rules him out for the sequel.

In the comics, MODOK & AIM were more or less Iron Man's headache, as I remember it. however, I don't think that relationship would work in the MCU. Having said that, AIM is in IM3, so MODOK might not be far behind. The crazed beekeepers aren't exciting foes by themselves, but with their bobbleheaded creation they become much more formidable. Though there are some concerns about the way MODOK will come across in live action, I think that if Marvel can pull off an anthropomorphic raccoon, they can handle a giant, floating head.

MODOK is fascinating to me for the very fact that he's arguably Marvel's most famous villain who has no real association with a specific hero or team. Any hero you can name that MODOK's fought only accounts for like 20% of his appearances. Taskmaster is kind of the same way, I guess, but other than that most villains are anchored in a franchise.

I imagine MODOK (If he's used at all) will be used to beef up a solo film for a character who doesn't have any good rogues. Black Widow, Hawkeye, Ms. Marvel, Heroes For Hire, and Ant-Man are all properties that have been discussed by Marvel Studios, but really don't have a great core of villains (do we really need Egghead?) and that's where characters like MODOK come in.

Last edited:
Someone who needs him, unlike the big names. Ant-Man works well, as his huge head and shrunken body can be explained by a Pym particles accident, but he works well as a SHIELD villain as well.

Still I can totally see RDJ saying "Holy crap, you're just a giant floating head".

I think Ant-Man would be the best bet. But I'd be fine with seeing him anywhere, I love MODOK. He's one of my favorite villains.

You can either do him really goofy & funny or have him be a pretty creepy villain. He's a robotic giant head, if they designed that right it could be nightmare inducing.

They'd have to go with creepy otherwise why bother.

although don't forget, they did manage to turn this
whiplash_marvel_pictureboxart_160w.jpg
into this >
121009_ironman2-tm.jpg

I wouldnt be surprised if we saw something just as creative. It could end up being just a sentient tub of organic matter with robotic limbs. I also wouldn't be surprised if the best we got in the near future is a nod to his character. Like a computer program known as MODOK that stands for something slightly different.

He should face the Avengers, not just Iron Man or just Cap
A.I.M led by M.O.D.O.K vs the Avengers

Wonder how he will look, I might laugh

I figure MODOK would pair best with ant man. Both have ridiclous powers and a heavy investment in Mad Science

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"