Monarch: Legacy Of Monsters

Legendary’s Monsterverse Apple Series Gets Title, Photos – Deadline

Co-developed by Chris Black (Severance) and Matt Fraction (Hawkeye), Monarch: Legacy of Monsters stars Kurt Russell, Wyatt Russell, Anna Sawai, Kiersey Clemons, Ren Watabe, Mari Yamamoto, Anders Holm, Joe Tippett and Elisa Lasowski.

Following the thunderous battle between Godzilla and the Titans that leveled San Francisco and the shocking revelation that monsters are real, Monarch: Legacy of Monsters tracks two siblings following in their father’s footsteps to uncover their family’s connection to the secretive organization known as Monarch. Clues lead them into the world of monsters and ultimately down the rabbit hole to Army officer Lee Shaw (played by Kurt Russell and Wyatt Russell), taking place in the 1950s and half a century later where Monarch is threatened by what Shaw knows. The dramatic saga – spanning three generations – reveals buried secrets and the ways that epic, earth-shattering events can reverberate through our lives.

Matt Shakman (Wandavision) directs the first two episodes.

I don't expect him to have much screentime since he's in hiding before the events of KOTM, so I'm curious how the show will address this.

Having Kurt and Wyatt Russell play the same character in different time periods is a genius piece of casting.

Not signed up to Apple+. Hopefully it gets a physical release down the line.

Yeah, I like the timelines concept and I too am surprised that Godzilla is in this, even if it's not for much. I am actually more interested in this than the next movie of the franchise.

Well, we don't know how much he'll be in it yet. It looks like the image released is from the San Francisco battle which we'll probably see from another perspective.

The 1950s storyline l would predict would likely have something to do with that atomic test in the 1950s shown in the opening credits of the 2014 film that was secretly disguised as a nuclear test but was actually an attempt to destroy what looked to be Godzilla.

Sucks this is on Apple. :( I'm not ready to subscribe to another platform.

Well, we don't know how much he'll be in it yet. It looks like the image released is from the San Francisco battle which we'll probably see from another perspective.

The 1950s storyline l would predict would likely have something to do with that atomic test in the 1950s shown in the opening credits of the 2014 film that was secretly disguised as a nuclear test but was actually an attempt to destroy what looked to be Godzilla.

I wouldn't mind if the 50's portion of the story took some inspiration from the Godzilla Awakening prequel comic.

A Monarch show sounds really awesome to me and I'm absolutely shocked that Warner Bros didn't jump on this sooner, but I'm hoping we do get multiple spinoffs if this show is super successful.

This has all the potential in the world to be something truly special and possibly a game changer in terms of further expanding/building an established universe on a streaming service.

I'm definitely way more excited for this than New Empire which I'm looking forward too but this is the kind of stuff I've been wanting to see from this franchise ever since Zilla 2014 came out.

Also, you just can't go wrong with Kurt/Wyatt Russell.

I really enjoy Godzilla 2014 but man did they underwhelm vs what was promised with those opening credits and the HALO jump trailer.

I really enjoy Godzilla 2014 but man did they underwhelm vs what was promised with those opening credits and the HALO jump trailer.

How about that first teaser with the J. Robert Oppenheimer audio in 2012? Not to mention Gareth Edwards saying Godzilla was going to be mankind's punishment and like a natural disaster. That's not what happened. What they delivered was not what they were selling.

If anything, the new creatures the MUTOs are more fitting of that description. In fact most of the destruction in the trailers is caused by the MUTOs and not Godzilla.

I dunno, I feel like Legendary really lucked out with the 2014. They were very misleading with how they were selling the movie. For whatever reason, they decided we needed good guy hero Godzilla.

IMHO, Shin Godzilla was a much better film and more of what they were promising with the 2014 film. A man-made disaster and result from nuclear testing and a check on mankind for not respecting the environment.

How about that first teaser with the J. Robert Oppenheimer audio in 2012? Not to mention Gareth Edwards saying Godzilla was going to be mankind's punishment and like a natural disaster. That's not what happened. What they delivered was not what they were selling.

If anything, the new creatures the MUTOs are more fitting of that description. In fact most of the destruction in the trailers is caused by the MUTOs and not Godzilla.

I dunno, I feel like Legendary really lucked out with the 2014. They were very misleading with how they were selling the movie. For whatever reason, they decided we needed good guy hero Godzilla.

IMHO, Shin Godzilla was a much better film and more of what they were promising with the 2014 film. A man-made disaster and result from nuclear testing and a check on mankind for not respecting the environment.

The entire leadup to the movie was insanely hyped. I really thought we were going to get a horrifying take on Godzilla like the OG movie was.

Shin Godzilla I thought was ok, I do like what they did with it and understand the political aspect of it, but I just couldn't take the design seriously with the googly eyes. Took me out of it every time.

The entire leadup to the movie was insanely hyped. I really thought we were going to get a horrifying take on Godzilla like the OG movie was.

Shin Godzilla I thought was ok, I do like what they did with it and understand the political aspect of it, but I just couldn't take the design seriously with the googly eyes. Took me out of it every time.

That Kamata-kun seems to have a rabid fanbase will always be great to me.

Much as I still like Godzilla 2014, that's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Minus One. The preview so far seems to be replicating the exact tone (and even similar imagery) of the Oppenheimer teaser, so hopefully that reflects in the actual movie itself.

But in regards to this show, I'm welcoming going back to a more grounded tone since the Monsterverse movies are pretty much getting sillier (though nonetheless entertaining) with each new installment. Also a good chance to actually develop the worldbuilding properly which is one of my issues with the Monsterverse.

Much as I still like Godzilla 2014, that's one of the reasons why I'm looking forward to Minus One. The preview so far seems to be replicating the exact tone (and even similar imagery) of the Oppenheimer teaser, so hopefully that reflects in the actual movie itself.

But in regards to this show, I'm welcoming going back to a more grounded tone since the Monsterverse movies are pretty much getting sillier (though nonetheless entertaining) with each new installment. Also a good chance to actually develop the worldbuilding properly which is one of my issues with the Monsterverse.

I am totally pumped for Minus One! I'm more excited about that than New Empire and the Monarch series.

I am totally pumped for Minus One! I'm more excited about that than New Empire and the Monarch series.
Yeah, I think Minus One has the potential to be something special with it being more closely rooted with Gojira and its themes in comparison to Shin Godzilla. I also think, if it's all it's cracked up to be, it could make a good double feature with Oppenheimer ironically enough.

I don't expect him to have much screentime since he's in hiding before the events of KOTM, so I'm curious how the show will address this.

Having Kurt and Wyatt Russell play the same character in different time periods is a genius piece of casting.

Seems pretty clear we are just seeing Big G again from another human perspective during that Golden Gate Bridge sequence from 2014. So clearly we will just be seeing him via a flashback. The same way KOTM showed us a flashback to 2014. So I’m assuming that’s how the show is addressing it.

Last edited:
They need to just change the title of this to Kurt Russell vs. Godzilla. :o

In all seriousness, this sounds amazing. It’s funny; the MCU and the DCEU/DCU gather the majority of discussion when it comes to cinematic universes but WB’s quietly built this MonsterVerse thing into a fairly successful machine. I wouldn’t say that all of the projects so far have been good but they’ve all been fairly profitable (or profitable enough to keep the series going) and this sounds like the most interesting project yet. Though I suppose I’m a bit biased because I generally like Kurt Russell in anything.

Last edited:
They need to just change the title of this to Kurt Russell vs. Godzilla. :o

In all seriousness, this sounds amazing. It’s funny; the MCU and the DCEU/DCU gather the majority of discussion when it comes to cinematic universes but WB’s quietly built this MonsterVerse thing into a fairly successful machine. I wouldn’t say that all of the projects so far have been good but they’ve all been fairly profitable (or profitable enough to keep the series going) and this sounds like the most interesting project yet. Though I suppose I’m a bit biased because I generally like Kurt Russell in anything.

Yeah. Even if all of the projects haven’t been good, the groundwork has been laid and the bones are there for other people to come in to add the meat, fill in the blanks and do their own interesting takes on the world and history of the Monsterverse, which is something I think the MCU could stand to take more advantage of. So many great opportunities for wonderful stories to be told.

Seems pretty clear we are just seeing Big G again from another human perspective during that Golden Gate Bridge sequence from 2014. So clearly we will just be seeing him via a flashback. The same way KOTM showed us a flashback to 2014. So I’m assuming that’s how the show is addressing it.
We'll see. I think it's too early to make that claim when neither a trailer or a single episode of the show is out. Not that I'm expecting any great deal of screentime for Godzilla if he gets anything other than that scene, but I'm not ruling out another appearance on the show with such little information as of yet.

I will just say, I am wary of the multiple timeline aspect of the show. I don't think its a great device in television storytelling.

Yeah flashing back and forth like that tends to get old really quickly. Especially when a show lasts more than one season in which case the writers are forced to come up with new stuff that happened in the past that is somehow very super important but just happened to not come up during the events of season one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"