Mortal - Discussion Thread (spoilers)

avidreader said:
Chloe told Clark that everyone has secrets and he left it at that.

I think Clark's biggest problem with Lex is that he is obsessed and has been since Season1. Clark understands that Lex knows there are things about him, but he's asked him for the sake of their friendship to let it go. Which he hasnt.

Isn't that kind of hard to do with all the happenings of Smallville though?

MvTrlrMsc said:
There are BETTER ways to find out someone's secret other then putting people who care about BOTH Clark & Lex (I don't think Mom & Dad Kent knows what Lex has been up to yet & they have grown on him) Lex willing to risk people's lives who REALLY cares about BOTH Clark & Lex = JUST STUPID. You don't see Lana doing all these crazy things just to find out Clark's secret. Lex is truly nut's especially putting people who care about him as well in Danger. Look how EASY it was for Alicia to show Chloe Clark's secret doing stuff like that knowing he will come is one thing.

I'm not so sure Lex knew Lana and his parents would be there. He especially wouldn't want Lana in danger since he likes her and everything. The interesting thing about Clark and Lex's relationship is that Clark's trespasses according to Lex are what ultimately drive him to be evil. Remember last season how Lex said Clark's friendship keeps his dark side at bay? Because it reminds him that there's still good people in the world? But ever since Clark found out about Lex's investigation he's basically treated Lex like some untrustworthy evildoer, even though Lex apologized and dropped everything (yes I know he's very much back to his old habit but that's only since Blank, I'm talking about Season 4 before that) So really, perhaps in Lex's view, Clark is taking advantage of their friendship just so he can get things he wants (sending Lois away, etc.) I'm not saying Clark is the bad guy, quite the contrary, but I think it's intriguing to look at things from Lex's perspective. Maybe that's why I find Lex's sudden evilness so jarring from his development thruout Season 4.

DarthSkywalker said:
Isn't that kind of hard to do with all the happenings of Smallville though?

Well I think this is part of Lex's undoing, in that he cant, and there may be others like him as well that we dont see.

tonytr1687 said:
I'm not so sure Lex knew Lana and his parents would be there. He especially wouldn't want Lana in danger since he likes her and everything.

Yes, but Lex would have been more than convinced that Clark would save her before things got out of hand. He wanted the video evidence to prove it.

avidreader said:
Yes, but Lex would have been more than convinced that Clark would save her before things got out of hand. He wanted the video evidence to prove it.

Good point. Clark seems to assume that all the things Lex suspects about him are only hunches that he THINKS are true. But in reality, with all the things he's seen and experienced since coming to Smallville and meeing Clark, he KNOWS that he hit Clark at 60 miles an hour. He KNOWS that Clark was in the cave. So he KNEW Clark would save Lana and therefore nothing would happen to her. But of course he doesn't know Clark has lost his powers.

And I kinda agree with DarkSkywalker, Clark's whining is a bit hypocritical. Even when it's something as low key as Lex asking Clark in the eps Ryan, if he thinks it's possible Ryan has special abilities. Clark immediately accuses him of trying to exploit Ryan. Trying to find the truth and exploiting are two different things. In reality Lex is what Chloe used to be except with more resources. Of course now it's entirely different, now he is trying to exploit Clark. But in the past, even in Season 4, all of his digging he kept to himself. HE wanted to know Clark's secret, but he never wanted anyone else to know. Like how he became angry with Roger Nixon or Perry White or that FBI agent when they tried to investigate. So if Clark had told him then Lex would've kept it a secret I think.

And remember what even Clark's parents said, with everything that has happened to Lex you can't blame him for trying to find the truth. This is why I don't like how they're handling Lex's turn to the dark side. I want them to show us SOMETHING ELSE than Lex trying to find out Clark's secret, in order to make us believe he is someone we should hate.

tonytr1687 said:
But in the past, even in Season 4, all of his digging he kept to himself. HE wanted to know Clark's secret, but he never wanted anyone else to know. Like how he became angry with Roger Nixon or Perry White or that FBI agent when they tried to investigate. So if Clark had told him then Lex would've kept it a secret I think.

And remember what even Clark's parents said, with everything that has happened to Lex you can't blame him for trying to find the truth. This is why I don't like how they're handling Lex's turn to the dark side. I want them to show us SOMETHING ELSE than Lex trying to find out Clark's secret, in order to make us believe he is someone we should hate.
very accurate.

There was always another element all along viewed from Lex'es perspective..
He had some sencere ''protection for a friend'' kind of element in the whole
''find the secret'' activities thing underneath..

He always saw Clark as someone who could quite possibly use help in whatever he and his family were guarding.. There lies the basic conflict, him not seeing that he is trying too hard to demage what he wants to protect...

And "something else" that you want to see will come out of it, one way or another..
I love how they are telling it, developing it, and showing it..

BaK said:
very accurate.

There was always another element all along viewed from Lex'es perspective..
He had some sencere ''protection for a friend'' kind of element in the whole
''find the secret'' activities thing underneath..

He always saw Clark as someone who could quite possibly use help in whatever he and his family were guarding.. There lies the basic conflict, him not seeing that he is trying too hard to demage what he wants to protect...

And "something else" that you want to see will come out of it, one way or another..
I love how they are telling it, developing it, and showing it..

More good points. There is one other thing I have been wondering. Throughout most of Season 4 Lex was still of the mindset that he never wants anyone to get hurt. Like in Sacred with Jason and the Chinese guards, or in Run when he sees the thief is just a kid. What do you think made him change to the point where he's now willing to risk lives?

That and the fact that he's always been against unethical human testing and the like, as seen by the battle between him and his father in Season 3 when Lionel was cloning, using Adam as a guinea pig, etc. What could've changed his mind?

I think it seemed to be the point when he litterally saw his evil side. You see him even coming to terms with it when he tells Lionel that he did get the son he always wanted

tonytr1687 said:
Good point. Clark seems to assume that all the things Lex suspects about him are only hunches that he THINKS are true. But in reality, with all the things he's seen and experienced since coming to Smallville and meeing Clark, he KNOWS that he hit Clark at 60 miles an hour. He KNOWS that Clark was in the cave. So he KNEW Clark would save Lana and therefore nothing would happen to her. But of course he doesn't know Clark has lost his powers.

And I kinda agree with DarkSkywalker, Clark's whining is a bit hypocritical. Even when it's something as low key as Lex asking Clark in the eps Ryan, if he thinks it's possible Ryan has special abilities. Clark immediately accuses him of trying to exploit Ryan. Trying to find the truth and exploiting are two different things. In reality Lex is what Chloe used to be except with more resources. Of course now it's entirely different, now he is trying to exploit Clark. But in the past, even in Season 4, all of his digging he kept to himself. HE wanted to know Clark's secret, but he never wanted anyone else to know. Like how he became angry with Roger Nixon or Perry White or that FBI agent when they tried to investigate. So if Clark had told him then Lex would've kept it a secret I think.

Wow exactly what i attempted to say, just a thousands times better.

To much of this is becoming Clark pushing Lex to more extremes to find out what he already knows. Like i had said before. Lex knows Clark is superhuman, he just wants the proof. To much has gone on for him not to know.

Lex in a lot of ways, has been a all around good person. To me Clark keeping his powers a secret to Lex, is having the most negative effect on the him.

DarthSkywalker said:

To much of this is becoming Clark pushing Lex to more extremes to find out what he already knows. Like i had said before. Lex knows Clark is superhuman, he just wants the proof. To much has gone on for him not to know.

Lex in a lot of ways, has been a all around good person. To me Clark keeping his powers a secret to Lex, is having the most negative effect on the him.

i guess that means the writers are not doing a sufficient job for you. and now that i read your comments, they aren't doin it for me either. good points everyone.

tonytr1687 said:
What do you think made him change to the point where he's now willing to risk lives?
That and the fact that he's always been against unethical human testing and the like, as seen by the battle between him and his father in Season 3 when Lionel was cloning, using Adam as a guinea pig, etc. What could've changed his mind?
well, he does feel like he's been lied a lot lately, by people
which he loves or likes..
there are already so many elements you can add up/spin off, but I still don't think he's at 180 about caring for lives.. some of the stuff was mentioned/ questioned earlier regarding ''using'' the freaks frame up thing..
And the line about ''rebuilding not only the town'' still had some kind of sincerity IMO.. I see (and foresee) no untolerable, unexplainable ''abruptnesses'' in his ''journey'' towards the ''real'' Lex..

I don't think Lex being evil is ever going to be a sincere desire to harm others rather his egotism and selfishness causes him to take whatever means necessary to get what he wants in the end. He's becoming increasingly focused and obsessive on the stones, the cave, Clark and at the same time more willing to think the end justifies the means. I do think the mystery of Clark is driving him crazy but it's just one piece of the puzzle. It's his inability to let it go that is really the problem. Chloe knew something was up and still didn't treat Clark as a lab animal. It was an imperfect friendship at best to begin with. The people that think Clark owed Lex the truth are almost without exception Clexers who see more to the relationship than the friendship so believe more is owed.

BaK said:
well, he does feel like he's been lied a lot lately, by people
which he loves or likes..
there are already so many elements you can add up/spin off, but I still don't think he's at 180 about caring for lives.. some of the stuff was mentioned/ questioned earlier regarding ''using'' the freaks frame up thing..
And the line about ''rebuilding not only the town'' still had some kind of sincerity IMO.. I see (and foresee) no untolerable, unexplainable ''abruptnesses'' in his ''journey'' towards the ''real'' Lex..

Let me explain what I mean by this abrupt jump in his journey. Up until the end of Season 4 he's basically been the same Lex. Manipulative and obsessive at times sure, but we still saw his good side in certain episodes throughout Season 4, like in Bound when he admits that he 'treated those women horribly' and told Clark not to give up on him. Or in Scare when he selflessly tested the cure on himself. Or in Onyx when he's in shock at what his other half did and apologizes and tells Clark that he's afraid of what could be inside him. Yet at the very end he sports an evil smile after talking to his father? Unless they're making Lex bipolar or plain schitzo, the way they're developing him doesn't make sense at all.

Then there's those who say the events in Onyx made him more evil. Well if that's the case then it appears the writers are going the "lightswitch" route despite saying his turn will be gradual. The abruptness more has to do with his overall demeanor in Commencement and Arrival. Going crazy on Chloe despite only a year ago he was protecting her from Lionel? Then in Mortal telling her that shes "playing a very dangerous game"? This sudden shift to Lionel-esque evilness doesn't quite jive with the majority of Season 4. I'm probably over-analyzing and getting a bit technical, but I'm just saying these recent dramatic changes in his behavior have occured over only a few episodes, whereas it should be over an entire season like we've had in the past.

I'm also of the opinion that Lex should never exactly 'accept' his dark side like in Commencement. It should happen without him being aware of it, as referenced along with the lightswitch line in Ryan.

Question if Lex was watching Chloe & Clark break in the ENTIRE TIME doesn't that mean he heard all of Chloe's & Clark's conversation's ? Like when Clark brought up Pete seeing his Space Ship so he was forced to tell him & like when Clark said normally he would just rip open the door & speed in & get what he needs. Lex HEARD ALL THAT & try not to come up with some excuse saying this is not possible. I think most would agree Lex would definitely bugged areas where people can break in. He may be an a$$ at times but he is not stupid. Unless the say otherwise I HIGHLY believe Lex heard everything Chloe & Clark talked about.

The video he watched on his computer didn't have sound... he didn't hear anything.

triplet said:
The video he watched on his computer didn't have sound... he didn't hear anything.

We don't know that

He CLOSED IT VERY QUICK when we saw that frame & who is to say he doesnt use another way to record sound ? But I would NOT rule out this possiblity. Even Chloe said "I'm not the one you should worry about" before the Clark & Lex confrontation

MvTrlrMsc said:
We don't know that

He CLOSED IT VERY QUICK when we saw that frame & who is to say he doesnt use another way to record sound ? But I would NOT rule out this possiblity

Okay, take it from me. There was no sound.

I watched that scene on AOL like more times than I care to count...

DarthSkywalker said:

Grammar good! Bizarro like!

If Clark just told Lex about his powers, there would be no rivalry.
They would get along fine.
The only thing damaging their relationship is Clark's secret

I'm 24 and am on my 3rd go-round with Superman comics. Ep 1 of Season 5 was the 1st "Smallville" episode I've watched, and it was pretty frickin sweet. Is Smallville in syndication yet? I wanna see the old eps, but I don't wanna have to buy the DVDs or rent them and have to watch them in a limited time span.

triplet said:
Okay, take it from me. There was no sound.

I watched that scene on AOL like more times than I care to count...

Yeah I remember watching to see if there was any sound as that could be a major point in the season but there wasnt any, you clearly saw Clakr getting hurt by the laser and no noises from him or Chloe checking he was ok

Tron5000 said:
I'm 24 and am on my 3rd go-round with Superman comics. Ep 1 of Season 5 was the 1st "Smallville" episode I've watched, and it was pretty frickin sweet. Is Smallville in syndication yet? I wanna see the old eps, but I don't wanna have to buy the DVDs or rent them and have to watch them in a limited time span.
Smallville is currently airing on ABC Family weekdays at 7pm (if you're in the U.S), but they're showing Season 4 and I imagine they'll start from the beginning when thats over. Welcome:) and hope that helps

vlcsnap-4458778.jpg

vlcsnap-4461486.jpg

vlcsnap-4462885.jpg

vlcsnap-4463597.jpg

vlcsnap-4464895.jpg

vlcsnap-4465390.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"