Mortal - Discussion Thread (spoilers)

Tron5000 said:
I'm 24 and am on my 3rd go-round with Superman comics. Ep 1 of Season 5 was the 1st "Smallville" episode I've watched, and it was pretty frickin sweet. Is Smallville in syndication yet? I wanna see the old eps, but I don't wanna have to buy the DVDs or rent them and have to watch them in a limited time span.

It also airs on the WB on Saturdays, two episodes starting at 6.00. I think they're up to episode 5.

Great pics Sage, thanks for those.

I finally got to see Mortal today, and I must say, I am impressed.

1) The progression of the characters that we're already seeing is great, and not regression back to the SV status quo.
2) The acting.
3) The way the Meteor Freaks were used this time. they weren't the standard high schooler-with-model-good-looks out for revenge.
4) I liked the sex better than I thought I would. I mean........yeah. It was done much better than I had imagined it would be.

Next week should be DAMN exciting. This was a good ep, I am impressed.

avidreader said:
It also airs on the WB on Saturdays, two episodes starting at 6.00. I think they're up to episode 5.

Great pics Sage, thanks for those.

Damn, I wish our WB affiliate would show it on weekends:(

triplet said:
If anyone wants to read it, my review has been posted on kryptonsite:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/mortalreview.htm

I loved this episode, all in all. Despite my pet peeve with the twins, I thought the FOTW aspect was remarkably well done.

Good review, although I dont think these Wonder Twins were quite your average twins. They were meteor freaks after all.;)

Loved this episode the confrontation between lex and clark was awesome.

I just watched it again and liked it even better the 2nd time around. The cop car effect with it hit the force field was really well done. But more so, the characters were all so well done. No jealous Chloe, that was nice to see. And Alison Mack just keeps getting better and better in terms of acting, but I really like her character alot more now that she isnt the jealous 3rd wheel.
Lex's angle was great and I loved how mean he was to Chloe with the "3rd wheel" comment. He has totally become Lionel Luthor, its great to see. Threating Chloe, holding the murder of Jason's mom over her head, its good to see. Although I have to say Ill miss old Lex a bit.
Seeing Lana happy and not being all prissy was a welcome treat. And Jonathan does look much younger with the longer hair.
So what do you think they are going to do with Lionel? I mean long run, not with this programmed state he's in. Will they but him back to the old way like they always do, or progress his character in a different way?

avidreader said:
Good review...

Thanks.

avidreader said:
although I dont think these Wonder Twins were quite your average twins. They were meteor freaks after all.;)

Still... I coulda done without that bit.

Perhaps the worst part was that it didn't serve any purpose either, aside from them having the same power.

And what Lee said about how annoying it was that they were always finishing each other's sentences wasn't all that funny, so they weren't even effective comedic relief.

Meh...

triplet said:
Thanks.

Still... I coulda done without that bit.

Perhaps the worst part was that it didn't serve any purpose either, aside from them having the same power.

And what Lee said about how annoying it was that they were always finishing each other's sentences wasn't all that funny, so they weren't even effective comedic relief.

Meh...

I might be wrong but I thought the Wonder Twins were from the Comics.

avidreader said:
I might be wrong but I thought the Wonder Twins were from the Comics.

I'm not sure where they were from aside from the Superfriends cartoon I remember from when I was a kid, but they were a boy and a girl although their powers were very similar, if I remember correctly.

And they had to hold hands to activate their powers.

yup, one could turn into an animal (Zan) and the other (Jana) took some form of water. They also had a blue monkey named Gleek. They were created for the Superfriends TV show, and were for the most part really lame, though they werent as lame as "Marvin", "Wendy" and "Wonder Mutt" from the "Challenge of the Superfriends" cartoon...

triplet said:
I'm not sure where they were from aside from the Superfriends cartoon I remember from when I was a kid, but they were a boy and a girl although their powers were very similar, if I remember correctly.

And they had to hold hands to activate their powers.

They started in Superfriends, and were added in the comic book later because of popularity.

Sort of like Harlequin was from Batman TAS

triplet said:
If anyone wants to read it, my review has been posted on kryptonsite:

http://www.kryptonsite.com/mortalreview.htm

I loved this episode, all in all. Despite my pet peeve with the twins, I thought the FOTW aspect was remarkably well done.

Great review Triplet! I thought the twin thing gave them a creepy vibe, so it didn't bother me. I could see why you wouldn't like it though, it was kinda steriotypical.
Sort of the way Bob and Doug McKenzie were steriotypical of Canadians. They did it on purpose though and were Super Funny. They were really only funny to SCTV fans though.

You know, My stepdad liked the episode except hated the Lex/Clark fight. He is an old Supes comic reader and said that it was something Clark would never had done. I enjoyed that scene, but he was very hot that they had Clark punch Lex first. Oh well to each his own.

The Incredible Hulk said:
yup, one could turn into an animal (Zan) and the other (Jana) took some form of water. They also had a blue monkey named Gleek. They were created for the Superfriends TV show, and were for the most part really lame, though they werent as lame as "Marvin", "Wendy" and "Wonder Mutt" from the "Challenge of the Superfriends" cartoon...

I thought it was the other way around. The guy turned into water and the girl into animals

Brainiac 8 said:
Great review Triplet! I thought the twin thing gave them a creepy vibe, so it didn't bother me. I could see why you wouldn't like it though, it was kinda steriotypical.
Sort of the way Bob and Doug McKenzie were steriotypical of Canadians. They did it on purpose though and were Super Funny. They were really only funny to SCTV fans though.

You know, My stepdad liked the episode except hated the Lex/Clark fight. He is an old Supes comic reader and said that it was something Clark would never had done. I enjoyed that scene, but he was very hot that they had Clark punch Lex first. Oh well to each his own.

I actually thought it was kinda out of character too. Clark wouldn't ever start a fight like that, especially with someone who was his best friend, no matter what bad thing they did. He's more reserved than that.

tonytr1687 said:
I actually thought it was kinda out of character too. Clark wouldn't ever start a fight like that, especially with someone who was his best friend, no matter what bad thing they did. He's more reserved than that.

I disagree. Clark was PISSED.. Lex put the lives of the people he loves most at risk. Clark with powers might have held back out of necessity, but new ability-free Clark probably relished finally being able to let out a little anger physically.

True, the fact he hadn't had his powers for weeks may have changed his behavior somewhat.

Great episode. Even better than last week(and last week was pretty awesome too). For once, we have a great fotw situation(which is pretty rare) and we have great character development. Clark and Lana finally did it, Clark and Lex have a mini-fightscene, and to top it all off Chloe's and her breasts took my breath away! lol.

5/5 stars. Great episode.

Serene said:
I disagree. Clark was PISSED.. Lex put the lives of the people he loves most at risk. Clark with powers might have held back out of necessity, but new ability-free Clark probably relished finally being able to let out a little anger physically.

I completely agree, Serene. If it had been "SuperClark," he would not have layed a hand on Lex, but since it was "Mortal" Clark, combined with the fact that Lex put his parents and Lana in direct jeopardy, it was more than enough for Clark to get physical. In fact, those FOTW were throwing Lana and Jonathan around the room, not to mention having a strangle-hold on poor Martha's throat. If I had been Clark, you can bet I'd have wiped up the floor with Lex.

Also, I think Clark wanted to get into a fight with Lex. Partly because he was furious with Lex, and partly because of self-preservation. He knows Lex is on to him; he knows Lex has suspicions; and he knows Lex was filming the whole thing inside the vault. Therefore, in some ways, Clark also "set up" Lex. Clark knew he was human from the moment he walked through the door; Lex didn't. Consequently, anything he did to Lex or vice versa was not going to inflict any severe damage on either one of them. Lastly, bruising and bleeding would simply disprove Lex's theory about Clark - which is exactly what happened. Great scene!

Brainiac 8 said:

Yeah, not too good to me or a few other multiples I've heard from over on the feedback thread on k-site.

Me, I just didn't see it had any point which is almost worse. Were they supposed to be funny? If so, then I so didn't think it was funny.

They were kinda creepy and the lurch act only made it worse.

Brainiac said:

Oh, I understood completely why Clark hit first: he was livid. I don't think he's ever been that mad.

Not only was Lex up to his old tricks, he made it so much worse by deliberately putting the people Clark loves in danger.

Clark is a good person, but he's no saint.

Even a saintly person would fight back when someone he loves is in danger. The danger was over, but Lex's complete disregard for the possible negative consequences of his schemes was just too much for Clark to bear.

I don't blame him one bit. It sure surprised the hell out of Lex that Clark would confront him like that.

triplet said:
Yeah, not too good to me or a few other multiples I've heard from over on the feedback thread on k-site.

Me, I just didn't see it had any point which is almost worse. Were they supposed to be funny? If so, then I so didn't think it was funny.

They were kinda creepy and the lurch act only made it worse.

Oh, I understood completely why Clark hit first: he was livid. I don't think he's ever been that mad.

Not only was Lex up to his old tricks, he made it so much worse by deliberately putting the people Clark loves in danger.

Clark is a good person, but he's no saint.

Even a saintly person would fight back when someone he loves is in danger. The danger was over, but Lex's complete disregard for the possible negative consequences of his schemes was just too much for Clark to bear.

I don't blame him one bit. It sure surprised the hell out of Lex that Clark would confront him like that.

im very very very anxious to see how they play the Lex and Clark relationship for the rest of the season (i wont go as far as to say the series). That confrontation, under normal circumstances, would sever ANY friendship, no matter how strong. But reading the spoilers, it seems they still talk to eachother, which is not even acceptable to me. WHY WHY WHY!!!!

boyscouT said:
im very very very anxious to see how they play the Lex and Clark relationship for the rest of the season (i wont go as far as to say the series). That confrontation, under normal circumstances, would sever ANY friendship, no matter how strong. But reading the spoilers, it seems they still talk to eachother, which is not even acceptable to me. WHY WHY WHY!!!!

Although I agree that it seems like the two of them would never be friends again, in real life many people become better friends after such circumstances. Of course, that wont happen with Clark and Lex, but I can see how they would end up still talking to each other. It's not that far of a stretch.

I don't think it's a stretch either... maybe Lex will back off after finding out that Clark isn't super anymore and want to give Clark another chance. Maybe he'll feel regret and want to patch things up and try to make it up to Clark.

Or, probably a better explanation, he'll be even more intrigued and want to spend more time with Clark trying to figure out why a super powered guy like him can have his powers come and go like that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"