• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Mortal Kombat 2021

My hopes if they happen to make a sequel :

-Raiden's warriors : Liu Kang, Jax, Cage, Sonya, Young Sub-Zero, Nightwolf
-Kahn outworld's warriors : Ermac, Rain, Baraka, Shang Tsung, Sheeva, Kintaro, Motaro

Kitana and Jade : fighting for Outworld then betray Shao Kahn to side with earthwarriors

Cyberninjas Cyrax, Smoke and Sektor trying to kill Kuai Liang for escaping cybernetic program (as a subplot)

Scorpion returning to seek revenge on Sub-Zero, before discovering hes the younger brother, completely different, a good hearted person. Finally help him to defeat 3 Cyberninjas

Bi Han as Noob spying war between Raiden and Kahn's forces, revealing him working for Shinnok alongside Quan Chi and Tanya after Shinnok ressurected him

Netherrealm introduced

earthwarrior policeman Stryker can make a cameo appearance, as well as others villains characters

For the people who have seen this, how big are Jax and Raiden’s roles?

For the people who have seen this, how big are Jax and Raiden’s roles?
Jax
He had good a fight scene with Sub Zero and some nice moments with Sonya. He was not in the movie as much as I expected, but overall I think they got the character right, especially his personality.

Raiden
Raiden was mostly there for exposition and teleporting people here and there. But they have an interesting take on the character and I wished they could have spent more time to flesh him out. Same goes for Liu Kang.

Jax
He had good a fight scene with Sub Zero and some nice moments with Sonya. He was not in the movie as much as I expected, but overall I think they got the character right, especially his personality.

Raiden
Raiden was mostly there for exposition and teleporting people here and there. But they have an interesting take on the character and I wished they could have spent more time to flesh him out. Same goes for Liu Kang.

Thanks, sounds there is a lot of set up here for what could be very little pay off.

It’s a truly bizarre and contrarian thing to blame filmmakers for having to work around studio mandates.

I mean, *sometimes* it makes sense, if the mandates are logical and productive and the film-makers than proceed to do their best to not fulfill them out of some misguided auteur sensibility. If, hypothetically speaking, the studio mandate for BvS included "Batman does not kill anyone", and this was why Snyder included the Bat-Brand and the various vehicular homicides? You could legitimately blame the director for bad faith rules lawyering to get out of doing his job ( though you should probably also blame the studio for not intervening with a loud "What the hell?!" ).

This, however, is not especially one of those cases. The existence of Cole Young, OC, doesn't serve any discernible purpose that I can detect, especially since his whole semi-legacy plotline probably *wasn't* a studio mandate. I mean, I'm open to suggestions on how using an OC as the main POV would advance the cause of faithfully adapting the source material into a good movie? The best I can come up with is "An OC can be threatened with death without obviously having main character plot protection", except. . . its Mortal Kombat, name characters get killed all the time, and death is barely more permanent than in X-Men comics. Plus, the main hero being unexpectedly killed off might well be unexpected, but it would also be really really *stupid*.

I'm still super excited to see this. Hopefully it'll will make some money so we can get a sequel. From what I've heard, it seems like a prologue to an actual movie rather than a proper movie.

Most adaptations are usually prequel-ish and set up the original franchise.

Ok. I just saw this today.
Mind. Blown. Went in with really low expectations and came out extremely happy with it.
I do have some gripes with it of course, but that is to be expected from any adaptation, as no adaptation is perfect.
But this movie was really a whole lot of fun.
Kano stole the show.
And Sanada-san... I mean... the dood can play like a flower pot in a movie, and I'd still pay full price for the ticket!

Biggest gripes and I'll put them in spoilers
1- There is no tournament. AND THATS A GOOD THING! just goes to show, how despicable shang tsung is. trying to overthrow the competition before the tournament starts... I love that point. My gripe with it is, if no tournament, DONT USE GORO JUST YET! that I felt was wasted. Sure Goro looked cool, but I feel he was wasted. 2 - the whole Arcana sub-plot. it led to great moments, but could have been a bit tighter; 3 - NOT. ENOUGH. KABAL. 4 - No Kano full head piece... and biggest gripe of all, they kinda showed all the fatalities or parts of them in the trailers, except for one (granted the best one)

everything else I dug! I even dug Cole's character and was not expecting to.
Can't wait to see it again.
Also... Sanada San.... please please pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase let there be more Scorpion in his future

Yeah, I don't have a preexisting attachment to Scorpion, but getting Hiroyuki Sanada to play him sounds like a good way to get me to finally care about the character.

Also, for those that have seen it, 2 things spring to mind
kano stealing shinnok's amulet was priceless, and the moment that Sub-zero rips of his armor, and shows just his black costume underneath giving the not so subtle wink wink nudge nudge to Noob Saibot? *chef's kiss*

Yeah, I don't have a preexisting attachment to Scorpion, but getting Hiroyuki Sanada to play him sounds like a good way to get me to finally care about the character.

Yeah, its like "oh... so Hiroyuki Sanada is in this movie? what role does he play? Pillow#2 on the back of the living room? sold!"

Mind. Blown. Went in with really low expectations and came out extremely happy with it.
I do have some gripes with it of course, but that is to be expected from any adaptation, as no adaptation is perfect.
Kano stole the show.
And Sanada-san... I mean... the dood can play like a flower pot in a movie, and I'd still pay full price for the ticket!

1- There is no tournament. AND THATS A GOOD THING! just goes to show, how despicable shang tsung is. trying to overthrow the competition before the tournament starts... I love that point. My gripe with it is, if no tournament, DONT USE GORO JUST YET! that I felt was wasted. Sure Goro looked cool, but I feel he was wasted. 2 - the whole Arcana sub-plot. it led to great moments, but could have been a bit tighter; 3 - NOT. ENOUGH. KABAL. 4 - No Kano full head piece... and biggest gripe of all, they kinda showed all the fatalities or parts of them in the trailers, except for one (granted the best one)

Also... Sanada San.... please please pleaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaase let there be more Scorpion in his future
Glad to hear you liked it :up:

Looking forward to Friday night!

Glad to hear you liked it :up:

Looking forward to Friday night!

I hope you like it as much as I did. It's really not a movie for everyone and I do see MK purists having more issues with it than I did. I went today with a great buddy of mine, that's really sceptical of videogame movies, and what he told me... man... "it's really weird to go see a videogame movie adaptation that is pretty much awesome". Granted that MK really isn't his coup of tea, but still...
Also, theres a moment right at the opening that I thought it was just.... I cant even describe the simplicity and genious of it as
Bi-Han is speaking in chinese, and Hanzo in japanese, and altough they dont understand each other, their hatred transcends speech... its amazing
Great time at the theatre!

Kano stole the show.

To be honest I wasn't sure about the pre-tournament stuff when I first heard about it, but then I saw the movie and I have no problem with it. It is actually a good way to introduce the characters and backstory before focusing on the main event. With that getting out of the way the sequel can waste no time and dive straight in to the tournament.

I agreed about Goro. His role is basically a henchmen and can be replaced with any other villains without having to change a thing. Let's hope they bring him back for the sequel since in the end Shang teleported all his fallen warrior's bodies away and said something like "This won't be the last time you see them".

I am curious to see how Cole will be handled in the sequel since they are bring in Johnny Cage. I liked him just enough to not want him get kill off immediately in the beginning of the next movie.

Good morning, everyone! I'm super excited for Mortal Kombat this week, mainly to see my guys Liu Kang and Sub-Zero (I actually prefer Kuai Liang's Sub-Zero, but still). It doesn't have be Masterpiece Theatre or Shakespeare, just give me some awesome techno and dope, well executed fighting scenes. Can't wait until Friday!

saw this yesterday and well

Cole was as terrible as advertise took away from everyone else and the opponent he drew at end
oh man what BS

and I also had an issue with Shang Tsung he had no presence what so ever he didn't even do anything all set up for a sequel we probably won't get

tried posting something with a spoiler tag but didn't come out had to deleted the whole sente3nce b

i'll be more than wiling to answer questions via PM if anyone is interested

Last edited:
That intro is pretty cool. The techno music felt a little out of place but otherwise, that was great. Sub-Zero is one evil dude.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong because I'm an old man, but the death of Scorpion's family was always supposed to take place in modern day, right? You'd think with ninjas, it would be ancient Japan but I think they played off the ninja craze of the 80s and early 90s. Do they explain how Sub-Zero is super old now if he didn't die? The manual for MK 1 listed Sub-Zero and Scorpion as 32 and obviously Sub-Zero had a brother.

Not to happy with how little they used Liu Kang according to rumors and reviews. That's my favorite MK person.

For anyone who has seen it already....

Is there an end credit scene?

Just yes or no would be ok lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"