Mortal Kombat 2021

I'm waiting for the next weekend to see it in a theater. It's making good money here in Russia. 10+ mil. is guaranteed. Which is comparable to big blockbusters or family animated movies.

I think it's gonna be....fine.

I predict it won't be as bad as people fear, but also not as good as we want it to be. Then the question will just be if it makes enough to spawn a sequel/franchise.

I'm getting my second dose in a couple of weeks. I'd love to wait until I can see it on the big screen as my "fully vaxed" celebration, but the temptation to cave and watch it on my couch in the meantime will be strong.

Im 2 weeks away from my second dose here,but im so eager to see it on the big screen.

With WW1984 and Raya the last Dragon, I waited 2 weeks and saw it in the theatre.
Im so excited to see this at launch, that i took HBO Max for 1 month.
I'll see it at home, and if i like it enough, ill go see it in the theatre 2 weeks later lol.

I work in a airport and I never understood how people are still afraid to go to a movie theatre but they’ll crowd the airport and catch flights. Can someone please explain the logic behind that. If anything, I felt more safe at the theatre than I do at work.

They'll do whatever if they want to visit family or friends, or in some cases, booty call. :o

Who is Cole Young? 'Mortal Kombat' star explains his new character

Co-screenwriter Greg Russo, who is credited with Dave Callaham, wrote the latest draft of Mortal Kombat and injected his lifelong love for the games into the movie. Russo did not invent Cole Young, nor was it his idea for the movie to have him as an audience vehicle.

“It was something the studio wanted,” Russo tells Inverse. “The new protagonist was an idea loaded in prior to my involvement.”

Still, Russo took advantage of his time on the script to evolve Cole into someone with much deeper ties to the Mortal Kombat universe than anyone else.

“I inherited a script in 2016, and that had the new protagonist in it,” Russo says. “But it had no tie to the mythology of Mortal Kombat. I thought, if we’re going to do it, I want to make sure we do it right and that this character fits into the mythology in an organic way.”

Although Cole Young is the audience vehicle of Mortal Kombat, Greg Russo doesn’t think Mortal Kombat has ever been about one lone hero. “I think of it as an ensemble,” he says.

“The way the rhythm of the story works, you come in with Cole and, like a video game, you slowly unlock the rest of the crew as you go through the movie,” Russo says. “We did that intentionally. At the end of the day, we’re building towards The Avengers. We’re building towards an ensemble. Our protagonist is only one part. It was never, ‘Let’s not make Liu Kang the protagonist.’ It was, let’s introduce them one by one. That was the goal. Liu Kang is still the chosen one, it’s just a matter of slowly getting those pieces unlocked.”

Saw this today.
Meh. Not good. Not bad. Just meh.
Besides Scorpion and Sub-Zero i liked Sonya and Kano the most. Cole Young is pretty uninteresting.
Some nice cinematography and thats about it.

I kinda feel bad for giving Russo so much **** now that I know that WB forced this Cole nonsense on him. It’s amazing; they treat this property like it’s not worth a damn and yet they’re SO adamant about this new character being in it because they’ve convinced themselves it’s the only way to make it a success. What is wrong with this company.

Saw this today.
Meh. Not good. Not bad. Just meh.
Besides Scorpion and Sub-Zero i liked Sonya and Kano the most. Cole Young is pretty uninteresting.
Some nice cinematography and thats about it.

I'm not a hardcore Mortal Kombat fan or anything, but outside of just wanting a good movie the characters in this that matter to me are Sonya and Sub-Zero, and then to a much lesser extent Jax. So it's good hearing that those two are handled well, at any rate. It would be nice to have a sequel with Kitana, the "real" Sub-Zero, maybe Cyrax, Sektor, Reptile, Jade...but for now I'm focused on hopefully enjoying this one.

I wish someone would come along and save WB from itself. The Snyder cut should of been what we got in the theatre years ago, and now this Cole Young Bulls**t.

The Snyder Cut is something different than he worked on back then as he's added things to his vision and a four hour movie was never in the cards since it's financial suicide, on top of bad storytelling, so we would never have seen that in theaters. I can't blame them for trying to make changes either since they waited until two of Snyder's DC movies underperformed and got bad reviews before they took action and they can't let someone bury one of their most valuable properties. Of course them not giving enough time for the replacement to do his job properly is equally bad though, but I don't fault the idea of course correction there.

It's much less understandable to come in and force the writer to make a new character when you're rebooting the movie adaptations of an established property that has tons of characters. That's not giving the creators any chance to prove themselves like Snyder got.

Uggh so not a good outlook then? Early on I got Dragonball Evolution vibes about this. It is at least better than that?

I don't think it will be DB Evolution bad, but it's not looking great.

I kinda feel bad for giving Russo so much **** now that I know that WB forced this Cole nonsense on him. It’s amazing; they treat this property like it’s not worth a damn and yet they’re SO adamant about this new character being in it because they’ve convinced themselves it’s the only way to make it a success. What is wrong with this company.

Sounds like the standard Hollywood attitude to pop culture adaptations: "This IP is valuable for marketing, but its not a movie, so it can't have any actual worth. Thus we shall make it worthwhile by adding or changing whatever we feel like, since we as movie makers are definitely superior to whoever created it."

I mean, its Mortal Kombat, its not high art. . .but neither are 99% of movies.

Nah, there's nothing defensible about how WB handled ZSJL. It wasn't even Snyder's choice to make it a 4-hour flick. He thought it was going to be a miniseries until WB forced him to release it as a movie. And that Terrio interview was especially damning. But I won't launch into a whole thing about it here.

Now, when you look at this Russo situation with Cole Young, there's just a really obvious self-sabotaging pattern at WB. And it largely seems to stem from the fact that they desperately want all these different connected universes, but aren't set up in a way that allows that type of storytelling to flourish. They have no "executive storytellers" at the top of them all that're guiding things. No actual plans at all. Just a bunch of different suits trying to appease shareholders.

I'm still excited about this movie. I'm still going to give Cole a chance. But I also can't help but feel that WB (yet again) got in their own way with that choice because they (yet again) don't trust the storytellers they employ to actually tell stories.

Last edited:
I wonder what Ed Boon thinks of Cole Young. I highly doubt he even gives a damn having minimal input in the movie. If someone does interview him I hope we get to hear his real opinions on the movie.

The funniest studio note I've heard come out of WB was that Superman should lose his cape early in the story so he can't fly...:wall:

I just saw some dude say that in an interview and can't remember where but he said it was their clever idea for keeping on the ground for most of the movie.

These execs really need to stay out of their own way.

The funniest studio note I've heard come out of WB was that Superman should lose his cape early in the story so he can't fly...:wall:

I just saw some dude say that in an interview and can't remember where but he said it was their clever idea for keeping on the ground for most of the movie.

These execs really need to stay out of their own way.

My favorite story is the one Kevin Smith tells about working with Jon Peters on Superman. I've watched that speech SO many times. I wish he would make a movie based on that. He could change the names and make up a new superhero character but keep the basics. Maybe instead of a giant spider and polar bears, it could be a giant wasp and grizzlies lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"