• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Most butchered character in a Marvel film??

What was wrong with him in Ultimate Avengers? :confused:

jmao said:
hulk isnt supposed to just be a big dumb thing... hes supposed to have personality and say funny ****

No, he's not. He's basically a big dumb brute with a temper who you're supposed to be afraid of and feel sorry for at the same time.

jmao said:
daredevil just looked stupid

That's not the character being butchered. It's you not liking the costume. Which, with the exception of the mask not atanching to the neck and the DD being in a slightly different spot, was exactly the same.

jmao said:
rogue cant fly and she doesnt have her strength

Which she didn't have when she first apeared. She got that later on when she nearly drained Ms. Marvel to death.

jmao said:
shadowcat is supposed to be a ninja... and have all this **** going for her, but shes just a little kid in the movie

She was a teenager when she started out, and she's still fairly young. And she didn't learn ninjitsu until later in her career.

jmao said:
wolverine is supposed to be badass, and not make stupid comedic comments like "Dont get your panties in a bunch"

Logan says stuff like that all the time.

jmao said:
colossus is supposed to be russian, his story also changed completely, and he should be bigger

They didn't completely change his story. And he was Russian. He had Russian flags in his dorm room. They just didn't have much in the way of an accent. And he was the same size he's supposed to be in the comics.

jmao said:
same with juggs, too small

There are limitations to how big they can make the character on screen. And that's still not butchering the character.

jmao said:
iceman is too serious all the time... hes not supposed to be like that

There's been a streatch where he's been rather serious recently.

jmao said:
sabretooth just disappeared...

That's not butchering him. That's simply not using him much.

jmao said:
nightcrawler isnt supposed to be such a wussy...

He wasn't that wussy.

jmao said:
and hes supposed to have a sense of humor

There were a few moments where he was a tad humorous.

jmao said:
toad was just stupid... i hated him

What does that even mean?

jmao said:
storm is supposed to be from africa... she speaks perfect english...

She speaks perfect english in the comics aswell.

jmao said:
king pin just looked horrible.. hes supposed to fat looking (even though he strong)... he didnt look fat at all

Micheal Clark Duncan put on 40 or 50 pounds for the role. And alot of The Kingpin's girth is muscle. He's like a power lifter. Lost of muscle woth body fat for added mass.

I agree almost intirely on everything that The Question just stated, with the exception of Sabretooth.

Hulk IS a dumb Brute!

Daredevil looked PERFECT!

If they started Rogue of with Super Strength and/or flight in the movie, I would have been pissed!

Kitty wasn't a "NINJA" or matial artist until Logan trained her in everything he knew.

Wolverine is both a BADASS and a JACKASS! Both in comics and on film!

Colosuss is perfectly portrayed and he IS Russian! They just chose to do it in a more Ultimate X-Men way, of which he moved to America when he was a child.

Juggernauts size is fine with me. I wouldn't have wanted them to throw a 10 foot tal Vinnie Jones at me, it wouldn't have been believable! He looks PERFECT!

I'll admit Ice Man could show a bit more humor, but in the story they have it meshes a lot better to have him the more quiet yet emotional type struggling for a place in the world.

Now Sabretooth I will tell you straight out was done horribly, not because he wasn't show enough, but because when he was shown he was NOTHING like the character. In fact they made him appear to be nothing but a mindless brute, when he is supposed to be a psychotic killer with years of military training and experience. He showed ONE slightly sadistic bit in the whole film, and perhaps they could have him come back and expand more on the character from there, but all in all, he was done poorly.

Nightcrawler was NOT a wuss! He was what he has always been, a fragin priest! or someone of a large religous nature. He DID show humor numerous times, such as when he hung upside down spying on the group from a tree. but mostly it was imoprtant to show more of his serious nature, which NC ALWAYS HAD!

How was Toad stupid??? Would you have preffered the classic X-Men version of Toad bowing and scraping at Magnetoes feet? Saying "Yes Master" in a smeagleistic voice????? I don't think so!

As far as Storm, she HAD an African accent in the first film, but Brian Singer is a DICK so he told her to lose it for the second film, thus screwing that character a bit. But I suppose you could use the excuse of "well, shes picking up an american accent to fit in" Guess she can't be TOO different.....

Now don't diss Duncan at ALL! He was a fragin awesome kingpin! he did put on alot of weight just like Q said, and he NAILED the personality! Don't EVER nock MCD!

I don't think Hulk himself was butchered but I do think that his origin was. It was that butchering that made me hate the movie.
I know for a fact that Ben Affleck has been a Daredevil fan since he was a kid so I'm sure he would have been just as mad as the rest of us if the DD suit looked stupid. I think it looked great. The leather was a nice touch, had it been all spandex like it looks in the book, then it probably would have looked really stupid. There are so many little things that are wrong with the movies but the little things don't bother me, its the big things that bother me.

Complaining that they didn't have a 7'2 Russian guy play Colossus just doesn't make sense. Finding a guy that 6'9 and 900lbs to play Juggernaut would have been even harder. Some things have to be changed for reality's sake, but they should at least try to keep the really important things the same. Ok, so they have to update some origins but as long as they do it right (Spider-Man) then the fans shouldn't be too angry. :venom:

Olcanucklehead said:
Now Sabretooth I will tell you straight out was done horribly, not because he wasn't show enough, but because when he was shown he was NOTHING like the character. In fact they made him appear to be nothing but a mindless brute, when he is supposed to be a psychotic killer with years of military training and experience. He showed ONE slightly sadistic bit in the whole film, and perhaps they could have him come back and expand more on the character from there, but all in all, he was done poorly.

I understand what nyou're saying, but I think all of that stems from there simply not being enough time in the film to delve into his character at all. He seemed how Sabretooth usually seems when he;s pushed to the sidelines of the story.

Olcanucklehead said:
How was Toad stupid??? Would you have preffered the classic X-Men version of Toad bowing and scraping at Magnetoes feet? Saying "Yes Master" in a smeagleistic voice????? I don't think so!

And, with the exception of his apearance, he was exactly the same as he is the the comics. A creepy british guy.

Olcanucklehead said:
As far as Storm, she HAD an African accent in the first film, but Brian Singer is a DICK so he told her to lose it for the second film, thus screwing that character a bit. But I suppose you could use the excuse of "well, shes picking up an american accent to fit in" Guess she can't be TOO different.....

I wouldn't be against the explanation of her trying to aclimate herself. Or, and this seems much more likey, her accent could have just changed. If someone spends alot of time in another countrty and they speak the language fluently, then they eventually start to take on the accent of that area. British and Australian citizens who move to America start to get a more American accent after a while.

If Anything, Toad Was Improved. In The Old Comics He Was A Goofy Jester; Here He Was Actually Dangerous.

Chris Wallace said:
If Anything, Toad Was Improved. In The Old Comics He Was A Goofy Jester; Here He Was Actually Dangerous.

I agree, also in the visual change. Somehow, I don't find the costume of comics Toad all-too visually believable in a film setting. The medieval jester/serf getup works for the character on the illustrated page, but in a film would require a huge leap in logic (no pun intended) for the viewer. For a character that was very surreptitious and "behind-the-scenes" for Magneto, I thought the plain outfit he wore very acceptable.

I'm on the same way too. Never really liked Toad in comics but the movie version was much better. He was kewl.

Dr. Doom I hated what they did with him

Elektra

Dr. Doom was a total Norman Osborn rip off, I was very disappointed in the FF movie version.

Elektra too, tho i did enjoy the movie despite what others have said, it was a good action flick on its own.

Dr. Doom

Didn't even resemble his comic counterpart in the least.

LOL at the poster who referred to the 6"8 Daniel Cudmore as "too small" to play the 6"6 Colossus.

Oddly enough, some people get an idea in their head and if a movie ventures slightly from it, the character was butchered. I'd hate to think I spent all the money it cost to go to movies just so I could nitpick it to death. That's not to say that some characters aren't butchered but if you think every character in every adaptation you see is butchered, maybe life would be more pleasant if you just stick with the books.

spiderwasp said:
Oddly enough, some people get an idea in their head and if a movie ventures slightly from it, the character was butchered. I'd hate to think I spent all the money it cost to go to movies just so I could nitpick it to death. That's not to say that some characters aren't butchered but if you think every character in every adaptation you see is butchered, maybe life would be more pleasant if you just stick with the books.

As I said, people confuse udnerdeveloped with butchered. And if they use the word "butchered" everytime, they banalise the real butchered character. If Cyclops and Storm were butchered, then what about Dr Doom? What does that make him?

Everyman said:
As I said, people confuse udnerdeveloped with butchered. And if they use the word "butchered" everytime, they banalise the real butchered character. If Cyclops and Storm were butchered, then what about Dr Doom? What does that make him?

A monstrous creation...a pure singularity of utter suckage that draws in all light, life and love into its inky core to rape and rend all things beautiful before spitting them back out in a tar-like substance of girlfriend-losing angst.

Oh, wait, was that a hypothetical question? :D

spiderwasp said:
That way of thinking could be the end of these boards.

spiderwasp said:
maybe life would be more pleasant if you just stick with the books.

You have no idea how many times i have thought that reading through all these different threads.

I liked the Fantastic Four, but they really butchered Doom. Although, they can still recontruct the character in follow-on movies.

Maybe Go The Darth Vader Route & Say He Needs The Armor B/c Of The Damage The Ff Did To Him; Plus It Can Be A Way To Supplement His Powers.

I have to Man-thing was the worse marvel conversion I have seen or "not seen" since the whole went on with showing nothing until 10 min of him at the end. Swamp Thing 1 and 2 was better than this.

The only reason I feel Doom wasn't butchered per se is because it was an origin. That character has a LOT of backstory to him, and honestly the movie would've had to have been about an hour longer to do it justice.

I Not Only Agree But Have Argued This Point Numerous Times. Plus, If I Ran My Own Country, Would I Really Make It A High Priority To Kill My College Roommate-who Can Barely Make His Rent-just Because He Outscored Me On Some Tests? I'd Need A Reason To Go After Him. Now The Loss Of A Multibillion Dollar Empire-along W/my Health & My Looks-might Be A More Understandable Motive.

terry78 said:
The only reason I feel Doom wasn't butchered per se is because it was an origin. That character has a LOT of backstory to him, and honestly the movie would've had to have been about an hour longer to do it justice.

So, they had to completely change his origin and make him a barely recognisable character?

Chris Wallace said:
I Not Only Agree But Have Argued This Point Numerous Times. Plus, If I Ran My Own Country, Would I Really Make It A High Priority To Kill My College Roommate-who Can Barely Make His Rent-just Because He Outscored Me On Some Tests? I'd Need A Reason To Go After Him. Now The Loss Of A Multibillion Dollar Empire-along W/my Health & My Looks-might Be A More Understandable Motive.

Yeah. But that's not Doom at all. Doom was the ruler of a country who hated his old friend because of an accident that was really his own fault but, because of his arrogance, eh placed the blame on his now former buddy. Is it complex and exciting? No. But it's human. People do terrible things over the stupidest **** sometimes. Doom was completely ruined in that movie.

Completely ruined? Hardly. No more than the Joker being a gangster who once killed the Waynes. Only he's not dead, so they can naturally gravitate him toward more of a happy medium.

-Hulk
-Dr. Doom
-Daredevil
-Bullseye
-Blade in part 2 and 3
-Cyclops

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member