Movie Titles

The Geek Vault

Come at me bro
Reaction score
Well I've been thinking lately, do you guys think that in all super hero movies the movies title should be the super heroes name? Now, with "The Dark Knight" that is not Batman 2, they came up with an original title without the name of the hero, another exception is the Shazam! movie they are apparently making, that does not include the heroes name. Are there any other instances where you don't think they should include the heroes name? For instance would you be pissed if when they made a Sub-Mariner movie they named it "Journey of Atlantis" or something?

Something like Power Man/Iron Fist could easily be called HEROES FOR HIRE. Or a solo Luke Cage/PM flick could simply be called CAGE.

As for Sub-Mariner (like you mentioned) I guess they could go with PRINCE OF ATLANTIS. But that almost sounds like a Disney flick.

The first movie has to be titled the heroes name. First Nolan Batman movie is named Batman Begins, and Batman is a pretty known character. Then the second could have "Dark Knight", "The Incredible Hulk", etc.

As for Namor, I bet they'd title the movie "Namor the Submariner", because Namor sounds strange and non-descriptive enough. Anyway Marvel should've done "Captain America" way before Namor.

Well I've been thinking lately, do you guys think that in all super hero movies the movies title should be the super heroes name? Now, with "The Dark Knight" that is not Batman 2, they came up with an original title without the name of the hero, another exception is the Shazam! movie they are apparently making, that does not include the heroes name. Are there any other instances where you don't think they should include the heroes name? For instance would you be pissed if when they made a Sub-Mariner movie they named it "Journey of Atlantis" or something?
I think that I'd stick with the original name that they used in the comic-books so fans of the comics can know that that's there favourite superhero being helmed on the big screen. If you're going to make a sequel then don't completely change the name of the original movie; just keep adding on numerical order to each sequel that they make. But sometimes, when you have movies with titles like: Batman Begins or Superman Returns, that won't work out because it would sound weird. But still, I think that movie companies should reframe from adding those kind of movie titles and instead stick with a simple movie name where if you're willing to make another sequel, without completely changing the name of the movie, you can simply just add a number according to the number of films that have been made in that franchise so far.

The comics almost always have the heroes name on the title page, so the movies should always have it somewhere present in the title shot.

I think it'll just be up in the air. Some movies can get away with a numerical sequel title and some maybe either can't or just decide to take a different approach. For example, Batman 2 sounds weird imo for some reason, maybe because none of the older Batman's were called this. So taking on a sub title would be just fine. But in Nolan's sequel's case The Dark Knight alone is perhaps the approach they want to take. So then I wonder what a third and possibly fourth film might be titled. I think it might be weird to add Batman back into the title then. Caped Crusader? That sounds kinda lame to me, but we'll see what interesting titles they can come up with.

This makes me wonder then about future movies. In Marvel's case, you got Spider-Man 1, 2, 3 but then you have X-Men, X2: United, X-Men The Last Stand. Can't forget Fantastic Four and FF Rise of the Silver Surfer. Numerical sequels and subtitles. So what will Ironman take assuming a possible trilogy considering Downey has signed on to a three movie deal. Ironman 2 or Ironman: Enter the Mandarin or Ironman: Warmachine. I don't know about those subtitles but you get my drift. I like the idea of manipulating the main title though, kinda like TDK. So I was thinking like The Invincible Ironman.

I think it'll just be up in the air. Some movies can get away with a numerical sequel title and some maybe either can't or just decide to take a different approach. For example, Batman 2 sounds weird imo for some reason, maybe because none of the older Batman's were called this. So taking on a sub title would be just fine. But in Nolan's sequel's case The Dark Knight alone is perhaps the approach they want to take. So then I wonder what a third and possibly fourth film might be titled. I think it might be weird to add Batman back into the title then. Caped Crusader? That sounds kinda lame to me, but we'll see what interesting titles they can come up with.

This makes me wonder then about future movies. In Marvel's case, you got Spider-Man 1, 2, 3 but then you have X-Men, X2: United, X-Men The Last Stand. Can't forget Fantastic Four and FF Rise of the Silver Surfer. Numerical sequels and subtitles. So what will Ironman take assuming a possible trilogy considering Downey has signed on to a three movie deal. Ironman 2 or Ironman: Enter the Mandarin or Ironman: Warmachine. I don't know about those subtitles but you get my drift. I like the idea of manipulating the main title though, kinda like TDK. So I was thinking like The Invincible Ironman.
You make good points but I think that people will care less about the title of a film, it depends if the movie is actually any good or not. But anyways, I personally think that they should just use titles with a simple name and if they make a sequel then just add numerical codes like: I, II, III, IV, V, etc. Alike what they did with the first five Rocky films and the series of Star Wars flicks. I know Batman II/Batman 2 would sound a bit weird but the numerical code could be like silent or something or they could just make it with the movie logo/symbol(e.g. the new Batman symbol with a numerical code in the middle of it).

As for Sub-Mariner (like you mentioned) I guess they could go with PRINCE OF ATLANTIS. But that almost sounds like a Disney flick.

As far as the Sub-Mariner went, I always throught that something along the lines of "Namor: Atlantean" would work.

I prefer the actual name of the hero for their movie with a sub-title for its sequels- although I really like the idea of using the names of the characters subsequent comics for its sequels i.e. Punisher: War Zone.
I'd like a Hulk sequel to be called The Rampaging Hulk.
Spidey's had enough comic titles with sufficient adjectives to cover plenty of sequels- to simply called them 2 and 3, always strikes me as lame.

it depends on what sounds right but let's not get overboard.

you can call it whatever you want but it wont make it a better/worse film because of it.

I prefer the actual name of the hero for their movie with a sub-title for its sequels- although I really like the idea of using the names of the characters subsequent comics for its sequels i.e. Punisher: War Zone.
I'd like a Hulk sequel to be called The Rampaging Hulk.
Spidey's had enough comic titles with sufficient adjectives to cover plenty of sequels- to simply called them 2 and 3, always strikes me as lame.

I read somewhere that Spiderman 2 had the working title Amazing Spiderman.

I'm probably in the minority, but in most cases I've always hated the additional titles. I'd rather just have the numbers. I think it's even worse when they've gone with the numbers thru parts 2 or 3 and then change the title format.

I'd really like to see the sequels to Iron Man and Thor get titled the Invincible Iron Man and the Mighty Thor.

As far as Namor is concerned, I think the title of the movie should be "Submariner" or "The Submariner" but throughout the film he should only be referred to as Namor.

the namor movie should be called

Namor: The Sub-Mariner

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"