Multiple students attacked with a knife in Pennsylvania school

Teelie

Fish Food
Reaction score
CNN's report on it. So far 20 people have been injured, some of them seriously by a student wielding a knife and going on a "stabbing rampage" in several classrooms and down a hallway.

There were no guns involved, no known motives, no known bullying of the attacker and people still keep thinking "it doesn't happen here" is somehow a good answer, as if people regularly go around stabbing other people at school on a regular basis somewhere else.

One of the students' lives was possibly saved by another student who put pressure on a wound that might otherwise have bled out.

And Twitter was utilized in the dissemination of the news. Nice to see a call out to that.

A teenage boy went on a stabbing rampage at his high school in Murrysville, Pennsylvania, early Wednesday, the town's police chief said.

At least 20 people at Franklin Regional Senior High School, about 15 miles east of downtown Pittsburgh, were injured, and the alleged attacker is in custody, Thomas Seefeld said.

A doctor who treated six of the victims said most of them didn't immediately realize what happened.

"They just felt pain and noticed they were bleeding," Dr. Timothy VanFleet, chief of emergency medicine at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center, told CNN's Ashleigh Banfield.

The violence happened in classrooms and a hallway, said Dan Stevens, a spokesman for Westmoreland County Emergency Management.

Student Mia Meixner was standing at her locker.

"I heard a big commotion like behind my back," she told CNN's Wolf Blitzer. "And I turned around and I saw two kids on the ground."

She thought a fight had broken out, but then she saw blood.

"I saw the kid who was stabbing people get up and run away," she said.

Meixner said she saw three students help a bleeding freshman, saying they were taking him to a nurse. Then she saw a senior girl she knew.

"She was standing by the cafeteria doors. ... She was gushing blood down her arm."

Meixner dropped her books and went to help the girl.

"I started hearing a stampede of students coming down from the other end of the hall, saying 'Get out, we need to leave, go, there's a kid with a knife.' Then a teacher came over to me and the girl I was trying to help. And she said she would handle the girl and that I should run out. So then I just ran out of the school and tried to get out as soon as possible."

Blitzer asked if the stabbing suspect said anything.

"No. He was very quiet. He just was kind of doing it," Meixner answered. "And he had this, like, look on his face that he was just crazy and he was just running around just stabbing whoever was in his way."

She said she didn't know the boy, but he had been in a lot of her classes. "He kept to himself a lot," she said. "He didn't have that many friends that I know of, but I also don't know of him getting bullied that much. I actually never heard of him getting bullied. He just was kind of shy and didn't talk to many people."

Injuries are serious

Details are emerging about how the teen was stopped. A school principal had "an interaction" with the suspect, and a school resource officer was able to handcuff him, Seefeld said. The teen was being treated for injuries to his hands, the chief said.

Mark Drear, vice president of the security company for the school, said one of his officers was stabbed. The school had three security officers and a full-time police officer Wednesday morning, he said.

A fire alarm that was pulled during the attack probably helped get more people out of the school during an evacuation order. Seefeld said that students were running everywhere, and there was "chaos and panic."

At one point, a female student applied pressure to the wounds of one of the male victims, possibly helping to save his life, said Dr. Mark Rubino, chief medical officer at Forbes Regional Hospital in nearby Monroeville, Pennsylvania, where seven teenagers and one adult were taken.

That male teen helped by a fellow student was one of three teens taken into surgery at Forbes.

The adult being treated there was not stabbed; he's suffering from an unspecified medical condition, according to hospital officials.

The teens' injuries are "quite serious," and "some are clearly life-threatening," said Dr. Chris Kaufmann of Forbes Regional.

They were stabbed in their torso, abdomen, chest and back areas, and two people were sent to surgery immediately after arriving, he said. Those two patients had low blood pressure, he said.

The teens who are undergoing surgery suffered knife wounds, most to the lower abdomen, Rubino said.

Physicians are evaluating other patients to see if they need surgery as well, Kaufmann said.

Rubino said he expects all the teens to live, noting that the strength of their youth gives them a greater chance of survival. But "I do want to stress the critical nature of their injuries," he cautioned.

Eleven victims were taken to four University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospitals, UPMC spokesman Cindy McGrath said. One was sent to UPMC Presbyterian; four were taken to Children's Hospital; one was taken to UPMC Mercy; and five were taken to UPMC East. She did not have ages or conditions of the victims.

Six victims have been released from UPMC hospitals, VanFleet said, and two are in intensive care.

The students who were hurt range in age from 14 to 17, Stevens said. All of the injuries are stabbing-related, such as lacerations or punctures, and there were no guns involved, he said.

'It doesn't happen here'

A message on the Franklin Regional School District's website said all of its elementary schools were closed after the incident, and "the middle school and high school students are secure."

Franklin Regional Senior High will be closed "over the next several days," district school Superintendent Gennaro Piraino said. The district's middle school and elementary schools will be open Thursday, and counseling will be available for the whole district, he said.

Information on what led to the stabbings and the conditions of the injured are still unfolding.

On Wednesday morning, students were being released to their parents, Stevens said. Shortly before 10 a.m. ET, CNN affiliate KDKA reported that some parents were beginning to be reunited with their children.

Bill Rehkopf, a KDKA radio host and Franklin Regional High School graduate, reported on air that he was shocked by the stabbings.

He kept thinking, "It doesn't happen here, it can't happen here," he said.

He said he was seeing parents showing up at the school and an increasing media presence. Parents appear to be calm, he said. Another KDKA reporter said she spoke with a parent who said she received a cell phone call from her daughter, who told her mother that "something bad" happened and that she needed to be picked up.

CNN first learned of the stabbings on Twitter.

We need to ban knives from society. It's the only logical course of action.

I freaked out when I read this on Yahoo because it just said PA school. My little brothers in 7th grade and there are some thugs in the school. Thank God it wasn't in our Area....still horrible though. I'm glad no one died.

We need to ban knives from society. It's the only logical course of action.

Wow, real original :whatever:

If this student had a gun, these kids would be DEAD and not injured. So let's leave the ridiculous comments for Twitter and the media's websites.

Last edited:
Plus, a knife serves multiple purposes under multiple circumstances. Guns serve one purpose. You're not going to use a gun to cut up a head of lettuce.

I think he was being sarcastic. How would we cut our meat?

He's making a jab at the gun control advocates who want to ban guns.

I wonder if this student was bullied. I guess that's always the first thought.

Last edited:
Bullying can't be ruled out but one of the students who knew the boy (but not friends with) said she didn't know of any instances he was bullied.

It was one of my first thoughts too. Usually someone only does something like this when pushed into it by other kids abusing them.

And I regularly use a gun to chop my lettuce to pieces, thank you very much. I like the taste of gunpowdered lettuce.

It's the whole guns-don't-kill-people-people-kill-people "debate" all over again.

Oh I see.....well...I know how I should handle this situation

28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

I guess we can be grateful he didn't use a gun. Obviously, this was still an act of unspeakable violence, but thankfully no one was killed.

Also, this kid stabbed 20 students? And some of them multiple times? That sounds really tiring. He must have been on one crazy mission.

Oh I see.....well...I know how I should handle this situation

28465-Jerry-Seinfeld-leaves-gif-yxqm.gif

I'm sure this thread can be civil. It was just the first comment and it was totally baseless you know?

USA definitely needs more knife control. It's insane how just any old guy can get a hold of something like that.

Right, but unfortunately that is exactly how some people are reacting. Which is ridiculous considering there would definitely have been a death count if there were guns involved, good guy with a gun or not.

It blows my mind that gun advocates are pointing at this as an example for their side. But I can't say I'm surprised anymore since their answer to all of life's problems in any situation seems to be more guns and shoot first.

USA definitely needs more knife control. It's insane how just any old guy can get a hold of something like that.
Because a gun debate in a thread about children stabbed with knives is exactly what we need right now.

Because a gun debate in a thread about children stabbed with knives is exactly what we need right now.

This :up:

What this thread should end up discussing is the motive behind the attacks. Was it bullying? Mental illness?

Turning this thread into another "guns are awesome yeehaw" discussion is just sad and frankly pathetic.

I've looked into the future Teelie....and I see this threads dark end......there will be many arguments, name calling, and inevitable thread lock. I see.....I see.....a new member being mourned in the "Banned Members You Kind of Miss" thread.....

filepicker_flbyyawsnbxq2sfkfhja_future-crystal-ball.jpg

Guys, let's not try to politicize this too much. It'll derail the thread into bait matches.

Any update on the kids' conditions?

Some are life-threatening but all are expected to live. There are more details to what kind of injuries were sustained.

The teens' injuries are "quite serious," and "some are clearly life-threatening," said Dr. Chris Kaufmann of Forbes Regional.

They were stabbed in their torso, abdomen, chest and back areas, and two people were sent to surgery immediately after arriving, he said. Those two patients had low blood pressure, he said.

The teens who are undergoing surgery suffered knife wounds, most to the lower abdomen, Rubino said.

Physicians are evaluating other patients to see if they need surgery as well, Kaufmann said.

Rubino said he expects all the teens to live, noting that the strength of their youth gives them a greater chance of survival. But "I do want to stress the critical nature of their injuries," he cautioned.

Eleven victims were taken to four University of Pittsburgh Medical Center hospitals, UPMC spokesman Cindy McGrath said. One was sent to UPMC Presbyterian; four were taken to Children's Hospital; one was taken to UPMC Mercy; and five were taken to UPMC East. She did not have ages or conditions of the victims.

Six victims were released from UPMC hospitals, VanFleet said, and two were in intensive care.

The students who were hurt range in age from 14 to 17, Stevens said. All of the injuries are stabbing-related, such as lacerations or punctures, and there were no guns involved, he said.

How is he getting so many kids all at once, were they all in a group?

Yeah exactly. How did he stab this many people? There were no adults around to tackle the kid after the 5th stabbing? 20 is pretty insane.

Kids don't just go stabbing/shooting/killing others if they aren't under some type of stress. Just about every perpetrator of a mass casualty event at a school in the US has been bullied or undergoing some type of mental breakdown so I'm not going to be surprised if that's the case here. It's kind of sad that kids have to resort to acts of violence after being bullied. I was bullied a bit when I was a FR in HS but never did I think it was okay to harm others. I think I was fortunate enough to have friends who eventually stuck up for me, a close enough relationship with my parents to tell them what was happening, and teachers/principal who helped put a stop to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"