My idea/theory for a grand Season 10 twist

DawnWarrior

Questioner of Authority
Reaction score
I've been thinking about Smallville lately, and its depiction of Superman and the number of liberties it takes with his origin. Then I thought about JJ Abrams' Star Trek, and the whole origin story combined with a timeline-altering plot device to keep things interesting. Then it hit me...

Remember: no other version of Superman's origin involves Smallville being rocked by a meteor shower. So imagine this: Brainiac, in the far future, travelled back in time to try to kill baby Kal-El before he could make it to earth and become Superman. The Legionnaires followed him back and foiled him. However, Brainiac had an insurance policy: He opened up a wormhole in the Rao system that scooped up a crapload of fresh Kryptonite. The hole opened up in the Solar system and dropped all the Kryptonite right into Smallville. So the meteor shower was Brainiac's doing: Even if Brainiac couldn't kill Kal-El directly, he had saturated his hometown with his greatest weakness, increasing the chance of him getting killed down the road.

Narada=Meteor Shower
Nero=Brainiac
Old Spock=Legionaires
Now, this scenario is pretty maleable; it could be Imperiex or Darkseid or whoever. The point is, the meteor shower rocked Superman's timeline off course.

So really, all of Smallville is an alternate timeline, and everything that has happened to Clark on the way to him becoming Superman is the timeline trying to right itself. Just like in Star Trek where each of the Magnificent Seven was pulled together (usually because someone else got sidelined from lungworm or death-by-cosmic-drill), each part of Clark/Superman's life comes together in an uphill battle against the meteor shower: Clark makes friends with Chloe in high school so that he can eventually meet her cousin Lois, while in the regular timeline, Chloe never would have lived in Smallville and never met Clark. Naturally, just like in Star Trek (where Kirk's dad dies, Vulcan is destroyed, and Spock makes peace with his dad much earlier in his life), some things turn out different. Lois and Clark meet in Clark's senior year instead of his first day at the Daily Planet. Jonathan Kent passes away at age 40-something instead of as an old man. Lana Lang's parents are killed in the meteor shower, whereas before they would have lived. And Clark and Lex become longtime friends before Lex becomes King of All Evil, instead of being casual acquaintences or strangers. It puts a whole new spin on Smallville, and reconciles it with other depictions of Superman.

i've thought about smallville essentially being an alternate time line for the true origin of superman. i definitely think its a good idea considering all the liberties they've taken through the years. it would make it too easy lol. i think fans would think it was a cop out though, which i could understand. i'd personally like to see three different versions of superman. a tv superman/smallville; a movie superman; and a justice league superman. ok, and one superman cartoon lol. for me that would be the epitome of awesome. welling/superman; routh/superman; someone new/superman.

Wow... I wasn't expecting to be partial to the idea, but... I like it.

I know a lot of people don't like to think of Smallville as "alternate" or "elseworlds," but I really think this idea is very cool. It reconciles its take on the mythos with everything that everyone pre-associate with the Superman story, and still allows the show to live and thrive on its own merits. In fact, I think it actually makes it a bit cooler, even, and, hey, they've already introduced the Legion, and have already shown Brainiac trying to go back in time to kill Kal-El from the get-go!

Like I said, I didn't expect to like this idea, but I can't help but feel it fits. :up:

interesting idea, though we know kryptonite followed clark's ship via the pilot episode. And smallville for all intentive purposes is just another take on the superman legend.

interesting idea, though we know kryptonite followed clark's ship via the pilot episode.
Actually, that brings up a thing I've always been unsure about: Kal-El's ship made it to earth using what I assume was the Kryptonian equivalent of warp drive, while all these meteors made it all the way to earth on sheer momentum. On the cartoon, we saw a wormhole open up that takes the ship out of the Rao system along with a mess of green rock, which I'll admit goes nicely hand-in-hand with the Smallville pilot.

Last edited:
Edit

Last edited:
And smallville for all intentive purposes is just another take on the superman legend.
It certainly is; this is just my take on it.

I am not knocking your thoughts dawn, we are all allowed to have our own thoughts on things. you did come up with some interesting thoughts. But for me the show is just its own thing. So they make their mark on the supes legend in their own way. While also taking things from various eras of comics, to the reeve movie, and other sources.

it's an interesting theory but it's too late to execute it since people would think it's a retcon to the entire series. I don't get why we can't just think of the show as an elseworld. It doesn't have to be explained to us. It's just another version of the Superman mythos...

yea its pretty much all its own world/universe.

I've been thinking about Smallville lately, and its depiction of Superman and the number of liberties it takes with his origin. Then I thought about JJ Abrams' Star Trek, and the whole origin story combined with a timeline-altering plot device to keep things interesting. Then it hit me...

Remember: no other version of Superman's origin involves Smallville being rocked by a meteor shower. So imagine this: Brainiac, in the far future, travelled back in time to try to kill baby Kal-El before he could make it to earth and become Superman. The Legionnaires followed him back and foiled him. However, Brainiac had an insurance policy: He opened up a wormhole in the Rao system that scooped up a crapload of fresh Kryptonite. The hole opened up in the Solar system and dropped all the Kryptonite right into Smallville. So the meteor shower was Brainiac's doing: Even if Brainiac couldn't kill Kal-El directly, he had saturated his hometown with his greatest weakness, increasing the chance of him getting killed down the road.

Narada=Meteor Shower
Nero=Brainiac
Old Spock=Legionaires
Now, this scenario is pretty maleable; it could be Imperiex or Darkseid or whoever. The point is, the meteor shower rocked Superman's timeline off course.

So really, all of Smallville is an alternate timeline, and everything that has happened to Clark on the way to him becoming Superman is the timeline trying to right itself. Just like in Star Trek where each of the Magnificent Seven was pulled together (usually because someone else got sidelined from lungworm or death-by-cosmic-drill), each part of Clark/Superman's life comes together in an uphill battle against the meteor shower: Clark makes friends with Chloe in high school so that he can eventually meet her cousin Lois, while in the regular timeline, Chloe never would have lived in Smallville and never met Clark. Naturally, just like in Star Trek (where Kirk's dad dies, Vulcan is destroyed, and Spock makes peace with his dad much earlier in his life), some things turn out different. Lois and Clark meet in Clark's senior year instead of his first day at the Daily Planet. Jonathan Kent passes away at age 40-something instead of as an old man. Lana Lang's parents are killed in the meteor shower, whereas before they would have lived. And Clark and Lex become longtime friends before Lex becomes King of All Evil, instead of being casual acquaintences or strangers. It puts a whole new spin on Smallville, and reconciles it with other depictions of Superman.

very cool idea. and considering they have played around with alternate timeline ideas.

although i dont' think i would trust the writers with such a complex concept without them butching it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"