Arrival- Discussion Thread (spoilers)

triplet said:
LOL!

I'm not sure I can... I think you're right, however: It's a setup for later.. Why else mention that they are disciples of Zod?

They'll likely be back, so I think it was a setup.

There are a lot of hints in this episode at what might be happening later.

Like one thing I mentioned in my review (which Craig hasn't put up yet - you guys can read it later, ;) ) was that I loved how they visually set up that Brainiac and the FOS/Jor-El will be opposiing forces for good and evil in Clark's life.

I mean, the episode starts out with these white crystals forming the FOS and it ends with black crystals forming brainiac. They're like bookends with Clark caught in the middle, he will have to deal with their conflicting agendas for him the whole season.

I thought that visual set up was brilliant.

:up:

Didnt notice that before..the latter..I meant :)

triplet said:
^^----- Too funny...

Before X-Files they also had a black oil thing that tried to eat Ensign Yar on ST:TNG....

And then there was the Blob in the 50's that tried to eat Steve McQueen...

Amorphous beings are hardly a new idea in sci-fi and horror.

ST : TNG , you got me on that. :up:
Smalliville at times, seem to try and capture the X-files vibe.
Having Mark Snow do the sound may also be the reason for that.
My main issue is with having Brainiac as an organic entity.
I love the animated series version of Brainiac,thought that they might go that route with Brainiac.

The Incredible Hulk said:
They had a Kryptonian spaceship and Brainiac on the X-Files? :confused:

:)
Kryptonian spaceship has the same design as a UFO from the X-files.
Brainiac's Form is identical to an alien entity on the X-files.

Billy Batson said:
ST : TNG , you got me on that. :up:

Yeah, and the oil that tried to eat (or take over, I don't remember) ensign Yar was sentient... not a creature.

Billy Batson said:
Smalliville at times, seem to try and capture the X-files vibe.
Having Mark Snow do the sound may also be the reason for that.
My main issue is with having Brainiac as an organic entity.
I love the animated series version of Brainiac,thought that they might go that route with Brainiac.

Well, just because the base form (if you can call it that) of Brainiac is fluid doesn't mean he's organic. We don't know the nature of the sludge he arose from.

How any substance could appear fluid then become crystaline and then end up looking like an ogranic being is totally beyond me. I would venture that it's not organic, whatever it is.

I like the STAS version of Brainiac too, but I would think that a mechanical brainiac would not look as good in Live Action as he did as ink on a cell.

Pickle-El said:
HEARSAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search your feelings you know this to be true!!!

vlcsnap2358958ej.jpg

Billy Batson said:
Proudpenny gave me the BOOT!

MMmm.... Well, you can still lurk... you don't need to be registered to read the forums.

(Or you could create a new handle... been done here before A LOT.)

I just realized something, in the scene between Clark and Lex, why does Clark seem automatically po'ed at Lex? Sure once Lex starts questioning his honesty and everything he would have reason to be, but as soon as Lex walks into the house Clark is a little curt when he says "where's my mom and dad?" as if he's mad at Lex about something. As far as we know Clark didn't witness Lex being raving-mad to Chloe, so what's he mad about?

Maybe Chloe told him off-camera that Lex was suspicious.... :confused:

Finally, my faith in Smallville is renewed. I was not the biggest fan of season 4. I felt really disappointed by a lot of it, but when Jor-El said the line, "One journey is ended, another is begining," I smiled because I knew thats what the show was doing. The teen angst, freak of the week, secrets and lies BS has finally played itself out, and the show is begining a new journey. Whats even better is that the show now has a "Big Bad". We have a constant reoccuring superpowered villian instead of constant freak of the weeks. And its played by the oh so awesome James Marsters. This episode was fantastic. I feel this season will be much more epic, and I'm really looking foward to it. :up:

Just gotta get past the Clana & Clark love phase while he is powerless. Thank god they are doing this plot very early in the Season :up:

tonytr1687 said:
I just realized something, in the scene between Clark and Lex, why does Clark seem automatically po'ed at Lex? Sure once Lex starts questioning his honesty and everything he would have reason to be, but as soon as Lex walks into the house Clark is a little curt when he says "where's my mom and dad?" as if he's mad at Lex about something. As far as we know Clark didn't witness Lex being raving-mad to Chloe, so what's he mad about?

maybe its a build-up of everything he's experienced with Lex, especially towards the end of the season, and you know, he was a bit frantic..and then of course Lex goes into digging yet again, when really Clark is standing in the middle of his ruined home and his parents are in the hospital, and doesnt have time for that (which I think he told him)...anyway, I guess it was an interesting choice on TW's part.

That's a good point, also it wasn't like Lex was ecstatic to see Clark was OK either.. he was very aloof, I think part of Clark's reaction was due to that...

The Incredible Hulk said:
here is my formal review of "Arrival", a few days late mind you..

http://www.livejournal.com/users/superhulk/3732.html

This is just back on Live Journal for now, but they're going to have a permanent home elsewhere real soon

Excellent review, Hulk.... I especially like how you talked about Clark's humanization.

:up:

Maybe Craig will put mine up today too so I can share.

triplet said:
That's a good point, also it wasn't like Lex was ecstatic to see Clark was OK either.. he was very aloof, I think part of Clark's reaction was due to that...
It also showed he is no longer giving Lex the benifit of the doubt, and no longer assuming the good in him...and Lex stopped caring what Clark thought of him long ago.

I think his reaction was spot on. When he first asked where his parents were he was just scared that something bad had happened, then when Lex started asking about Chloe thats when Clark became defensive.

Great review. I really liked the Clark Chloe scene as well and your mention of how Al/Miles know this character called Superman.

I look forward to reading more of your reviews as the season goes on. :up:

triplet said:
Okay, better late than never... ;)

Here's my review on kryptonsite. It's long and spoilery, so be warned.

http://www.kryptonsite.com/arrivalreview.htm

I liked your review, You had some very good points .

(1) Clark in the begining showed alot of maturity towards His DESTINY (When he first began his training in the FOS.)

(2) Nam-Ek & Aethyr should have had a name introduction .

(3) Their should have been a SUPER SMACK DOWN between Kal-EL & Nam-Ek & Aethyr .

(4)Clark & Chloe scene was done well.

(5)Erica was super in her preformance as Lois.

(6) The Kents scenes

(7) Lex becoming more evil.

\8/ introduction of Brainiac

About the only thing I had a problem with in this episode is a problem I had with Leech, and a few other episodes. I don't like the fact that Clarks powers can be easily taken away from him, mainly because its part of his DNA.

Lighthouse said:
About the only thing I had a problem with in this episode is a problem I had with Leech, and a few other episodes. I don't like the fact that Clarks powers can be easily taken away from him, mainly because its part of his DNA.

I'm not a fan of it either but realize it's a necessary evil in order to do a lot of these episodes.

At least Jor-El taking them away is interesting and makes sense, IMO.

avidreader said:
I hope they dont get stuck into you over there for spelling it Luther and not Luthor. :D

Did I mispell Luthor?

:eek:

Hey... no one's perfect. ;) :D

LOL!

Too funny...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member