• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Sequels Mystique: The Movie

That's ridiculous the X-Men characters are bigger than any Hollywood star

It's not ridiculous when the person you have playing the character is currently one of the most popular actresses out there right now. Lawrence has the star power to put people's butts in the seats.

Mystique is an amazing character, but it would be silly to say that Lawrence playing her doesn't play a significant part in people being interested in and liking the character.

One monkey don't stop no show.

If she wanna bounce then whatever then... thousands of actors will line up for a three picture deal

the only reason the solo idea has even come up is because it's Lawrence playing her and she is currently one of the biggest actresses in Hollywood right now

Yeah it's true. The Mystique story won't happen unless it's JLaw or if they did recast it would have to be big to get a green light. Like Angelina Jolie big. Which would never happen. We will only see a solo Mystique movie if Jennifer Lawrwence comes back.

Well personally, I don't want a Mystique solo film. Give me X-Force or whatever team spin-offs, just not a Mystique film.

Well personally, I don't want a Mystique solo film.

Technically, I'd fall in here too.

I think there are many more deserving characters, introduced or haven't debuted yet, but my previous post was preference...

does anyone really want a solo Mystique movie when there are much better X-Men characters out there that have more merit for a solo film than Mystique?

Actually I think Mystique could make a really cool solo film. There are some really cool characters but I don't think any of them would work solo. Maybe Storm is the only other female X-Men that could get a good solo. Mystique has some cool stories. And her solo comic run was good. They could make it more like a spy movie. But I doubt it's happening anyway.

I'd rather see a solo film for Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Psylocke, Jean Grey than Mystique.

If Lawrence is game and they have a cool story to tell, then why not? Make the movie. Give her character something to do outside of the main X-Men films, because I don't want to see her show up in those for a long while.

See I wouldn't only because I feel like they all work better as a team. Wolverine, Gambit, Deadpool all work well solo. And I think same for Mystique. Because of her background and her ties working with the government but also her fight for mutant rights. Mystique is such a middle character. Stuck between sides and it would translate really well to film. I love Rogue, Cyclops, Jean etc but they all work because they're together.

Well obviously Storm, Cyclops and Rogue spent more time with the X-Men rather than their solo adventures... but these are the characters that have yet to get their due... while Mystique.... she's not even a X-Man, she's appearing in her 6th X-Men film next year and they have developed her more than those three mutants that I mentioned. So I'd rather see a solo film for those three than Mystique.

Like if we go back to 2000, and someone told you that in 15 years... Mystique would be devloped more than Rogue, Cyclops, Storm, would you have believed that or liked the idea? I wouldn't.

Back in 2000 I wouldn't expect any spinoffs lol because it's X-Men and I prefer them all together but for some stories it does work. I don't even really count Mystique being developed that much in the first three movies. She was fantastic but she was a silent assassin. She just had some amazing scenes especially X2 and really stood out. But her major development has been in First Class and DoFP and let's face it, it's because of Lawrence. While Mystique isn't apart of the X-Men she is still a huge character in the universe. To me her and Magneto are always apart of the X-Men somehow. While I don't think her getting a solo is a bad idea I would prefer it didn't happen of course but all I know is they have some good stories to pull from.

I just don't think people would very be excited by that. Like in the other sections of these forum, people are already saying that they aren't excited for Deadpool/Gambit... what about a Mystique movie? Also its so obvious that they would only be making this film to milk the popularity of Jennifer Lawrence and I don't feel good about that.

Yeah I know but the other people probably have their own reasons for not wanting Deadpool or Gambit. All the fans of the X Films know that if a Mystqiue movie gets going it is because of Jennifer but I think we'd still all get behind it just as we are with Deadpool, Gambit, New Mutants. And also Gambit is a hugely popular character and getting Channing Tatum on board definitely got the movie green lit just as JLaw would for Mystique. We haven't seen Gambit yet but still if Channing wasn't in it I doubt we would get a solo.

I'd rather see them put their effort and time for something more interesting like X-Factor or X-Force than a Mystique film.

Back in 2000 I wouldn't expect any spinoffs lol because it's X-Men and I prefer them all together but for some stories it does work. I don't even really count Mystique being developed that much in the first three movies. She was fantastic but she was a silent assassin. She just had some amazing scenes especially X2 and really stood out. But her major development has been in First Class and DoFP and let's face it, it's because of Lawrence. While Mystique isn't apart of the X-Men she is still a huge character in the universe. To me her and Magneto are always apart of the X-Men somehow. While I don't think her getting a solo is a bad idea I would prefer it didn't happen of course but all I know is they have some good stories to pull from.

Lawrence wasn't a big name in FC and she was still given a lot of development, it's because she was playing mystique and she was a recognisable character the audience knew, if It was anyone who got mystique pushed upfront it was Bryan singer who decided to expand on his creation

And I still question why people think mystique wouldn't have been given a big role in FC2 or the adaption of DOFP even if it wasn't Lawrence, only big thing Lawrence had an huge impact in was the marketing

Last edited:
Considering the fate of mutantkind and the fate of the world rested on Mystique's decision in DOFP, I would say she made a huge impact in the movie itself.

Considering the fate of mutantkind and the fate of the world rested on Mystique's decision in DOFP, I would say she made a huge impact in the movie itself.

Considering they were adapting DOFP that isn't to far off from the source material is it?

but lets say it wasn't played by lawrence and it was some actress whose done a couple of supporting film roles then would they have decided to push mystique into the background now? even after all that obvious set up for the character in FC? and if so why? or would they have done exactly the same thing with the character that we got in DOFP?

See I think the Mystique role was definitely tailored to Jennifer. When they cast her for First Class she was garnering a lot of critical buzz for her movie Winter's Bone. Fox got really lucky with the timing of securing her because she blew up just after First Class. She did have a decent role in First Class and based off of the future movie we knew that Mystique would show up but the thing is the original First Class sequel wasn't DoFP it was something else until Bryan stepped in, put the two casts together and tried to fix the mess up of Last Stand. So even if it was more of a no name actress her role for the first class sequel would have just been Magneto's right hand woman. As we saw her in the original trilogy. But DoFP changed that to turn her from being a merciless killer to a more grey area character and the fate of world depended on her choice. I definitely think that was because of Lawrence. Had DoFP gone ahead with someone lesser known I reckon it would have ended up being a bit different. The mission in the comics was to stop Mystique but the character and her humanity was definitely something added in there to give JLaw the Oscar winner some emotional scenes. And hey I loved it.

See I think the Mystique role was definitely tailored to Jennifer. When they cast her for First Class she was garnering a lot of critical buzz for her movie Winter's Bone. Fox got really lucky with the timing of securing her because she blew up just after First Class. She did have a decent role in First Class and based off of the future movie we knew that Mystique would show up but the thing is the original First Class sequel wasn't DoFP it was something else until Bryan stepped in, put the two casts together and tried to fix the mess up of Last Stand. So even if it was more of a no name actress her role for the first class sequel would have just been Magneto's right hand woman. As we saw her in the original trilogy. But DoFP changed that to turn her from being a merciless killer to a more grey area character and the fate of world depended on her choice. I definitely think that was because of Lawrence. Had DoFP gone ahead with someone lesser known I reckon it would have ended up being a bit different. The mission in the comics was to stop Mystique but the character and her humanity was definitely something added in there to give JLaw the Oscar winner some emotional scenes. And hey I loved it.

Hit the nail right on the head. I don't even have to answer the original post. Thanks!

Wouldn't that mean they wanted mystique to have a big role anyway? If they picked Jennifer for that very role and they forsaw her rise to fame? She could have been moira instead?

I don't get why people believe after FC with the whole giving her a personality and adding a backstory with Charles that they just gonna forget all that for the sequel, unless it's believed Lawrence being cast is what changed the character which is silly

I personaliy believe no matter who played her DOFP would have been exactly the same

Last edited:
It's naive to think Jennifer Lawrence playing Mystique in DOFP didn't somehow influence how the character factored majorly into the plot.

I'd rather see Lawrence starring a Brotherhood movie than a Mystique solo movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"