Namor the Sub-Mariner

the Depths should be given to Kevin Feige & marvel films team, to use this as the basis for the project.. keep costs modest since it's not "all" about Namor...

I'm not reading it myself, but I've read about it, and taken a look at it in the shop. Basically, it's a Sub-Mariner story where the Sub-Mariner isn't even in it. It's about this research team who travel to the depths in a submarine, seeking to find the lost city of Atlantis and disprove the existence of the legendary Sub-Mariner who protects it.

What follows is a whole lot of deep sea exploration with little success, as the crew gradually turns against each other. All the while the captain of the expedition, explorer Randalph Stein, is haunted by dreams of the Sub-Mariner coming from the depths to claim him. And then it's uncertain whether this is a premonition, Namor making contact with him, or just the guy going utterly insane.

I must say, that sounds like an awesome way to do a Sub-Mariner film. :up:

I'll have to check this out when it becomes a trade.

I'm not reading it myself, but I've read about it, and taken a look at it in the shop. Basically, it's a Sub-Mariner story where the Sub-Mariner isn't even in it. It's about this research team who travel to the depths in a submarine, seeking to find the lost city of Atlantis and disprove the existence of the legendary Sub-Mariner who protects it.

What follows is a whole lot of deep sea exploration with little success, as the crew gradually turns against each other. All the while the captain of the expedition, explorer Randalph Stein, is haunted by dreams of the Sub-Mariner coming from the depths to claim him. And then it's uncertain whether this is a premonition, Namor making contact with him, or just the guy going utterly insane.

Are you joking? What kind of story is that? What you re trying to do is to avoid to show Sub mariner because you re afraid the audience would think that the submariner character is ridiculous.

I think submariner or Aquaman is makable and we don't need to hide it in a dream or what ever. In fact I want to see him in the Avenger movie.

i've never understood why Aquaman gets all the hate, while Sub Mariner doesn't.

Because non comic fans usually don't know who the **** the Sub-Mariner is.

so it's the exposure, huh?

I think it's just a tad unfair. If I was an ignorant non-fan/Aquaman hater and found about Sub-Mariner, I would have a field day.

Are you joking? What kind of story is that? What you re trying to do is to avoid to show Sub mariner because you re afraid the audience would think that the submariner character is ridiculous.

I think submariner or Aquaman is makable and we don't need to hide it in a dream or what ever. In fact I want to see him in the Avenger movie.

He's not joking. It's the kind of story Marvel is currently publishing. I'd like to see him in Avengers or an Avengers sequel myself. :)

it sounds like Solaris, Sunshine, and Event Horizon..underwater!

it sounds like Solaris, Sunshine, and Event Horizon..underwater!

That's what The Depths reads like too, from what I've seen. Dripping with atmosphere and dread, and would make for a brilliant film. But sadly, it's a film we're unlikely to see, since some producers likely still think comic book movies only appeal to the "LOLZ ME WANTS TEH EXPLOSIONZ~!" mindset that ANTOINE X demonstrated above.

Superhero movies need to change up their format and try different approaches, if the genre is to have long-term viability rather than just being a flash in the pan. It's not a case of being "afraid" of people finding Sub-Mariner ridiculous. It is a less is more approach, building up to a climactic reveal and steadily building tension in the process, rather than simply going for Comic Book Origin 101.

Besides, the Sub-Mariner was never truly comfortable amongst the glossy, cheery superheroes, in my opinion. He is a product of an earlier, darker era. And The Depths captures that pulp sensibility of the character perfectly.

Agree. Movies based on comics have to evolve just like the comics themselves. Think outside the box

Yeah... really... These books have been around for 60+ years, with loads of different stories, characters, personas, dilemmas and overall entertaining content. They have run the gamut from superficial smash-em-ups, to high flying campy astronomical voyages, to simple personal tales... and deep-diving (no pun intended) thought-provoking sagas that explore the mysteries of the human condition.

The movies should be no different.

Last edited:
I just bought The Depths 1, 3, and 4. Issue 5 is not out yet, and I'm having trouble finding 2. When I do though, I'll post a full review :)

Does anyone think we will ever see Namor, the Sub-Mariner featured in a Marvel movie? I know there were rumblings a few years back about a solo movie, but even if that never came to be, what about the possibilities that he could be seen as a secondary character in a movie?

I think Namor is an awesome character and I would love to see a live-action interpretation of him someday! :woot:

^That's the best way to introduce him, IMO. And it happens to be the way they reintroduced him in the 1960's. I still have yet to see an idea that tops what Lee/Kirby did in regards to bringing him back.

I haven;t read it what's going on in that?

Also if Marvel wanted a younger star for Namor, I'd like to suggest Ian Somerhalder.

He was actually Wizard Magazine's choice for the roll a few years back in one of their movie issues. I think he would be great in the roll.

Call me crazy, but I can totally see Namor showing up in an Iron Man movie. I hope he does get a movie at some point. His story is too cool. That whole thing about it being SW underwater is awesome.

For something like namor, I would like to see small parts in the avengers, cap, IM that foreshadow the "bigger world" of superheros. Some kind of dossier that deals with crypto-zoology... and on the list could be things like Wendigo, Mermen, subterranean humanoids... Leading to inclusion of Namor in later movies (as not just showing up one day... but being there, in secret).

the Depths should be given to Kevin Feige & marvel films team, to use this as the basis for the project.. keep costs modest since it's not "all" about Namor...

Yeah, no offense, but if i pay to see a Sub-Mariner movie, then the Sub-Mariner better bloody well be IN it.

Yeah, no offense, but if i pay to see a Sub-Mariner movie, then the Sub-Mariner better bloody well be IN it.

agrees... id be fine with that being an aspect of the story.. but uh.. the movie really needs to be about namor.. not shown from an outsiders point of view.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"