Namor the Sub-Mariner

Luke Goss
lukegosscharliew178683a.jpg

Physically, he is in very good shape. Nice balance between buff and agile. His face is a spitting image IMO. His accent is very interesting sounding. Hes from England, but in both Hellboy 2 and Blade 2, it sound much more exotic. You can't really put a finger on what region its from, which is a nice perk for an Atlantean. He is a very good actor, especially as a regal warrior role like Namor. I cannot think of anyone possibly better.

That's an overpaid casting.

Screen test Goss & the Rock. Let the better actor gets the role.

Although I can't argue with your point, you must admit "BubbaaDoom" pegged it with the Rock as Wyatt Wingfoot.

From Comic Book Database

Atlantis. Throughout the ages, a few men have wondered if this fabulous place actually exists. Fewer have imagined that the city is protected by a wild and vengeful being, the very embodiment of the untameable depths themselves -- the Sub-Mariner. When a deep sea expedition mysteriously vanishes without a trace near the Marianes trench, legendary adventurer, Randolph Stein embarks on a journey that will rock him -- and his crew -- to their very core. Travelling deep into the dark belly of the sea, the men of the good ship, Voyager, are about to see things that defy description, that supersede their wildest imagination -- things that men aren't meant to see. Staring into the abyss, Stein will soon discover that the abyss can indeed stare right back at him.
James Cameron already made that film, its called The Abyss. If you liked that script you'd love The Abyss... there's pretty much no Namor in that as well.

Just replace "Sub-Mariner" with "alien" and that IS The Abyss...

Namor
Ant-Man
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Iron-Fist
Venom
Silver Surfer

:huh:

Were these only empty promises to use as hype? I put the blame on Avi for exactly this... and rushing what has been made primarially by FOX basically ruining DD, FF, Electra, X-Man Last Stand, and W-Orgins.

Yes he was not directly involved in the later, but the mold was set by then.
Anyhow, any hope for the above movies?

Last edited:
Namor - Those underwater effects, has any film been able to pull that off successfully yet? I was thinking that the Fantastic 4 would've met him a 3rd movie had the 2nd one been successful enough (Reason: Doom landed in the water after his defeat...small sign but one nonetheless).

Ant-Man - He, Wasp, Hawkeye, Vision, etc. would probably be served best in an Avengers movie as fresh additions to the team opposed to Thor, Iron Man, and Captain America who are more well-known and would have their own movies.

Black Panther - I think this was in development before Blade came out with Snipes wanting to play the lead. In addition to making appearances in the new Iron Man series and DTV movies, there's still an animated series coming out for the character that'd help to build buzz/hype for a movie.

Luke Cage/Iron Fist - I like a Marvel Knights movie of some kind for these characters to see how the audience may react to them (along with Moon Knight, maybe Daredevil, etc.) and then a spinoff for Heroes for Hire or either character.

Venom - Big ? here since the reboot news. I was thinking that it would've followed the Raimi continuity with Eddie Brock, Sr. as the host of the symbiote, but now it's harder to speculate.

Silver Surfer - FF2 may've removed this from the slate. A Silver Surfer movie would be a large undertaking in that it's likely to be mostly animated, and the reaction to FF2 probably wasn't enough to move it forward. After the success of Avatar (a Fox-produced film), it may still be possible though.

Disney may have something in mind for these characters. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:
Thanks "Construct" for the break-down. I do belive we still may see most if not all. I think the banking deal Marvel made to retain better control probably effected their plans and caused them to pull some back so Disney/Marvel could later make. I have no proof though, this is just a thought.

Nor a
Ant-Man
Black Panther
Luke Cage
Iron-Fist
Venom
Silver Surfer

:huh:

Were these only empty promises to use as hype? I put the blame on Avi for exactly this... and rushing what has been made primarially by FOX basically ruining DD, FF, Electra, X-Man Last Stand, and W-Orgins.

Yes he was not directly involved in the later, but the mold was set by then.
Anyhow, any hope for the above movies?

The characters you mentioned don't have much name recognition, but that hasn't stopped Marvel before. I think the bigger deal is that they are trying to get bigger properties off now that they have their own studios, and those who are owned by other studios will get done when the studio is really feeling the property. Marvel will focus on Iron Man, Captain America, Thor, and the Avengers, and Sony, Fox, Lion's Gate, and whoever else will make their properties when they think it's profitable.

In Namor's case, I think money is the biggest thing. Some of the things you mentioned can be done on a smaller budget, but Namor would cost a lot when it comes to the water effects. That is unless they decided to make Namor a human guy looking for Atlantis, and most of the movie is spent above the surface while he's discovering who he is.

Well I think there are different issues for lots of movies. The reality is, Hollywood has thousands of scripts going through it, with possible promises that they would be made, but most, even after the green light, never get made. This is the way Hollywood has always been, in some cases Marvel has been extremely lucky just to have these films made, no matter how horrible they are. If studios didn't see so much $$$ in the films, they would never have gone through with it. As far as Marvel controlled films are concerned, I think they care about how great the script is, and if it's not good enough, they will probably just pull the plug. Most Studios do this as well. Also, if there isn't a passionate director or producer behind it, it's hard to motivate Studios to make films they don't see as that great of potential. Also, the internet talks to all the "writers" and "directors" and "producers" who want to get the hype up, because if the hype is up, then studios will see the hype and make the film. So, sorry to say, we are all being used to give the impression that the film should be made, even if the script is horrible. You're dealing with hundreds of millions of dollars with these characters, and most of them probably can't handle their own film. They don't want to see another Elektra. Also, Marvel/Paramount is just focused on the film slate they are doing, and making those as good as possible, before moving on, with Disney of course, to make more. Fox wants more X-men, because it's the biggest franchise they own right now, and if they don't start improving on their movies, they will go bankrupt during this recession. Studios can pull the plug on a film at any time, and like I said before, many Marvel films are lucky that they go through with it. And while many Marvel Films haven't always been great, most are, and even the bad ones make lots of $$$, with a few exceptions. Characters that have been established in film and have released movies that make money, will be made period, because the studios know they make money, and because they have been one of the top movie genres of the 21st century, sense X-men came out. Again, if someone writes a script, and the studio may be interested... sometime they have no idea, they will get interviewed and BRAG and BRAG and BRAG about how great the film will be, even though the chances of it being made are very little. It's hard being a screenwriter for a living people, very very hard, you get very very desperate.

Even Feige doesn't mention the Princely one. Maybe animation is the way to go.

Universal own the rights to Namor, hence the lack of mention

Fair point Chewy. No mentions about Ghost Rider, X-men Orgins, or any other SONY/FOX things. I stand rebutted.:D

I would rather see a third FF movie than a Silver surfer....
aint FOX gonna reboot it?

I thought I saw a Namor poster a while back. Then again, that might have been on here. :csad:

Namor is not a real big draw in comics, and a null for movies. OTOH, if one got green lighted, WWE wrestler Randy Orton is perfect for the role.

Mostow is still working on Namor. He mentioned last summer that he'd like to make it after Surrogates so who knows.

An Iron Fist movie is in the works. Kevin Feige's comments about the Iron Fist movie:

I think what Ed Brubaker and Matt Fraction have done with Iron Fist lately is great, and the Iron Fist mythology opens up a whole other part to us.

:up:

I think we'll be seeing Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist & maybe Cage after the Avengers movie. Fiege has been talking about the first three characters alot. Plus, I've been seeing Iron Fist's name specifically in alot of reports mentioning Disney wants to focus on B/C-Listers.

As a long shot there is a rumor The Invaders may have a cameo apparence in the "Cap" movie. Maybe Marvel pulled back Namor's rights or they have a 1944 "loophole" who knows?

I think we'll be seeing Black Panther, Dr. Strange, Iron Fist & maybe Cage after the Avengers movie. Fiege has been talking about the first three characters alot. Plus, I've been seeing Iron Fist's name specifically in alot of reports mentioning Disney wants to focus on B/C-Listers.

I would hope that we get at least two of those movies you mentioned. Sure, I'd want to see all of them, but I want to keep my expectations in check. I think Iron Fist and either Luke Cage or BP gets made. I'm confident that BP will get made eventually because of a racial demographic they may want to tap into, and the prestige of being the first black superhero. I think Iron Fist has a good chance of getting made based on the kung-fu nature of the hero, plus the potential epic of seeing Kun Lun. Luke Cage may get made, depending on how well an Iron Fist does. Realistically though, I think we're 5 years away from seeing these in the least. I think these happen after the Avengers aftermath, and when i say aftermath, I'm thinking after the Avengers sequels as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"