Namor the Sub-Mariner

Discussion in 'Marvel Films' started by bengali, May 13, 2006.

1. Yellow Cyclone

Yellow Cyclone Pessimist

hickman's namor is absolutely perfect. so much swagger and giving no crap about what others think

2. Speed Force

Speed Force Hope, help and compassion

If they're already looking to cast Namor then Doctor Strange makes more sense than Black Panther 2

TheVileOne likes this.
  3. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I hope we get to see him do some ww2 stuff. Might even be some good Easter egg potential for the falcon and winter soldier series

4. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

I reckon that spidey news put the nail in the coffin for namor. The Sony/marvel deal was held up as an example of how to make it work and now we know it hasn’t I don’t think marvel or Disney will try again with another studio

psylockolussus and TheVileOne like this.
  5. Dark Raven

Dark Raven The Gal from Themyscira

I don't know about that. What about Hulk? He was used in team films but the distribution rights were still held by Universal. Why is Namor like Spidey and not like Hulk?

psylockolussus and TheVileOne like this.
  6. KRYPTON INC.

KRYPTON INC. Incorporated Kryptonian

Eh... Namor's issues are more in line with Hulk and they still used Hulk.

TheVileOne likes this.
  7. Silvermoth

Silvermoth Avenger

Because namor was sold before hulk at a very different time.

Namor, like Spider-Man, was sold when marvel was nearly bankrupt just to keep the lights on. So they basically have the whole character.

Hulk’s rights were sold during marvel’s very brief independent studios period basically with the idea that universal would organise distribution but have no control over the product (that was before Disney bought marvel). That’s why hulk can appear in a supporting role but no longer as the lead

8. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

Do you know that for sure or is that an assumption? I heard differently, but don't know if anyone knows for sure. Why wouldn't someone just let us know for sure what the scoop is???

9. Speed Force

As far as I know, Namor was like Hulk in that he can be used in team up films and whatnot, but he can't be in a stand-alone without Universal distributing.

He's not like Spider-Man or the X-Men because those required a film be in production by a certain time and he doesn't have such deal, obviously.

10. InCali

InCali I got a pUpgrade!

That's as far as I know too, but, obviously, I don't know very far.

11. Speed Force

Feige has commented on it once and all he really said was his rights were "tricky"

12. psylockolussus

psylockolussus Spice Mutant

I would just save Namor in a Fantastic Four film and phase 5 or 6.

13. Boom

Boom I got nothin'

What the hell kind of arrangement did Marvel make with this character? Namor hasn't been featured in a single movie since Marvel licensed the rights decades ago, yet they've never reverted back to them?

14. Zarex

Zarex Registered

Mr. McKenzie's rights appear to be in a similar position to those of Banner. In order to get Hulk into the MCU before his rights with Universal lapsed, Marvel Studios granted the studio the right of first refusal to distribute future Hulk movies. So a Namor solo flick is off the table but he can appear in team up flicks.

But another potential problem with the Sub Mariner is overall rights ownership. Though his first appearance was in Marvel Comics #1, Namor was created by Bill Everett for an unreleased publication, Motion Pictures Funnies Weekly. Some have speculated that the Everett family has an ownership claim on the character since he wasn't created under a "work for hire" agreement. Feige could be referring to this when he said this in 2018 - "I think there’s a way to probably figure it out but it does have — it’s not as a clean or clear as the majority of the other characters."

Marvel Studios Boss Addresses Namor's Complicated Rights Status - IGN