DC TV Series Naomi series in the works from Ava DuVernay

BTS photo of Kaci and Ava.

I see that S.T.A.R. Labs on Naomi's world has about half the budget and space as the one from Earth Prime.

So… Superman seems to be a pivotal (though largely offscreen) factor within the parameters of this series. I.e., several characters have reported interacting with him (either as allies or, possibly, as enemies). But these characters are mostly visitors/refugees from the recently revealed “alternate Earth” (or “alternate Earths” — plural). So what remains puzzling (at least to me) is whether Supes ever existed in this show’s (Naomi’s) main reality. Certainly, the idea of Superman exists. Naomi is a big fan, she runs a Superman blog, etc. But for a while, it was looking like Naomi was an aficionado of the fictional character. Then, when the multiverse shenanigans kicked in, Naomi discovers (plot twist!) that in some different dimension — which occasionally intersects with this one — Superman is real.

Or not. Or something…

Every time I think I’ve got a handle on this show’s “internal logic” vis-à-vis the status of Superman, details emerge that confuse me. In the last episode, for instance, Dr. Bell at STAR Labs says she’s knows Superman through “mutual friends.” (Therefore, he exists in Naomi’s world…?) But then Naomi refers to a Superman comic. (Therefore, he’s fictional in Naomi’s world…?)

:shrug:

I see that S.T.A.R. Labs on Naomi's world has about half the budget and space as the one from Earth Prime.

That was just 1 room though. But i liked it!

So… Superman seems to be a pivotal (though largely offscreen) factor within the parameters of this series. I.e., several characters have reported interacting with him (either as allies or, possibly, as enemies). But these characters are mostly visitors/refugees from the recently revealed “alternate Earth” (or “alternate Earths” — plural). So what remains puzzling (at least to me) is whether Supes ever existed in this show’s (Naomi’s) main reality. Certainly, the idea of Superman exists. Naomi is a big fan, she runs a Superman blog, etc. But for a while, it was looking like Naomi was an aficionado of the fictional character. Then, when the multiverse shenanigans kicked in, Naomi discovers (plot twist!) that in some different dimension — which occasionally intersects with this one — Superman is real.

Or not. Or something…

Every time I think I’ve got a handle on this show’s “internal logic” vis-à-vis the status of Superman, details emerge that confuse me. In the last episode, for instance, Dr. Bell at STAR Labs says she’s knows Superman through “mutual friends.” (Therefore, he exists in Naomi’s world…?) But then Naomi refers to a Superman comic. (Therefore, he’s fictional in Naomi’s world…?)

:shrug:

Yeah idk why Ava went that route to put Naomi on an Earth where all the DC characters are comics instead of her being in a superhero world. The hawkman guy knows Superman and is from universe 29 isn't he?

Yeah idk why Ava went that route to put Naomi on an Earth where all the DC characters are comics instead of her being in a superhero world. The hawkman guy knows Superman and is from universe 29 isn't he?

I think there have been occasions where comics get playfully (?) self-referential and meta. For example, in a Superman comic, there might be random kid who’s reading a Superman comic! Kinda cutesy. But it can also be rationalized. In a world where Supes is real, it’s not surprising that his status and iconography would be represented in various pop culture media. Including comics. (Presumably, however, these comics-within-comics wouldn’t have the credit “Superman created by Jerry Siegel & Joe Shuster” or mention anything about Clark Kent — because those details would shatter the internal logic.:cwink:) So it’s possible that Naomi is using the same idea. I.e., Superman actually exists in Naomi’s world; and comics about Superman also exist... :thf:

But this scheme, it seems to me, can be confusing and ambiguous (unless ambiguity is the point…?) A much clearer indication of Superman’s reality would be to put him in newspaper headlines or the TV news, not comics. And since we haven’t had those indicators (as best as I recall), the audience should therefore assume that Superman is fictional on Naomi’s Earth…?

I guess you could argue that sorting out Superman’s status (on the various Earths in the Multiverse) can be a slow and gradual process. After all, the show is about Naomi, not Supes. Still, we’re six episodes in and I remain stumped about what’s going on. :O

Best episode of the season so far.

This was an interesting episode and I liked the reveal at the end. I just wish they would pick up the pace just a little with the mystery.

We need a Crisis sequel crossover with Superman & Lois, Flash, Stargirl, and Naomi.

That would be cool.

Well, with Superman and Lois on a[nother] break, Naomi is taking that 8 pm time slot for essentially a two-part season finale tonight.

Reactions: Dr.
Hope something major happens in the 2nd hour.

Hope something major happens in the 2nd hour.

I literally fastfoward the first part...its so slow. And I'm doing it with the 2nd part. Its a bunch of budget saving.

They had like 1 power sequence and not even like a real fight...

Last edited:
I did not see that twist coming at the end. A potential season 2 should be interesting. It was an alright finale but like Primal said kinda slow but it picked up towards the end.

Well, I watched this from the beginning. It was… okay. Certainly not bad (like, say, the final seasons of Supergirl :ninja:). But not exactly riveting either. The season arc was something of a slow burn and often meandered. And I remain perplexed about the whole parallel universes thing as it relates to “Superman.” Initially, I was prepared to interpret this confusion as a deliberately constructed “mystery” that would be — eventually — revealed to the audience. But by the end of the season, things are just as puzzling.

On the upside, Kaci Walfalll is quite lovely and a talented actor.

Enjoyed the first season but not sad about this news.

Not surprised, especially with Discovery cleaning house. If Batwoman and Legends couldn't come back, I couldn't see it happening for Naomi, much as I did enjoy a lot about it.

I thought Naomi would have a better chance of renewal after Batwoman & Legends got cancelled, but it's not the case.

In addition to low ratings, it was too soon for Naomi to have a TV series when she doesn't have much comic appearances.

Watching Ms.Marvel and it shows the flaws in Naomi and exactly how Naomi should've been done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"