NBA 2015-2016: Age of Exorbitant Television Money - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
C'mon man, everyone knows he only got those championships because of the lockout and Ray Allen's 3. Not to mention the league givinig it to him this year, let's be real here. :o

I'm pretty sure he meant "hard path" as in selling your soul to the basketball gods to reward you with some extra luck.

It is unreal how Joel Embiid has yet to play an NBA game. This has to be a record for the longest delay of a rookie debut from injury. Here's hoping he can even make it to opening night.

It is unreal how Joel Embiid has yet to play an NBA game. This has to be a record for the longest delay of a rookie debut from injury. Here's hoping he can even make it to opening night.

I want to see the dude play!

John Wall feeling the need to respond to critics and fans about Beal making more money than him, hearing about how KD once privately text a reporter after a game to ask him a question about Skip Bayless tweeting something about him so he could respond in a post-game conference, the D’Angelo Russell/Nick Young fiasco that could have possibly altered the rest of Russell’s career, Brandon Jennings going off about Robert Horry’s career over Reggie Miller’s (which is a non-story to me), how Gabby Douglas says she struggled with social media during this year's Olympics, or hearing from those closest to LeBron about how his game completely changed once he turned off social media during the playoffs further proves the point about how different this generation is with social media and that 24/7 sports coverage.

One side of it is pretty awesome that these guys can be so close to fans and those who report on the games but it seems like such a different and at times tougher road than it was back then since there’s an extra level of criticism and noise coming your way. A tweet can be a top story nowadays and players have to be coached with how they handle their online image and personality. It bites players in the ass pretty often too for stuff they impulsively put out there in response to criticism which can harm their reputation or just opinions they have. I can't call these people mentally weak or pathetic as I think it’s just a clear indication that it plays a factor into how people sometimes perform on the court. I mean, we're now in a time where you have kids that commit suicide from online bullying. I think it affects how people act at work or their relationships with their colleagues on and off the court, just ask Swaggy P :rimshot:

I think it gets to a lot of these athletes in some way or another. The best (or worst) example is what LeBron said after he lost to Dallas when the reporter asked something along the lines of what he had to say to the haters who were happy to see him lose and the only thing he didn't do was flip off the camera in that moment. That reporter got him good and it's too bad he went for it, it was a really bad look but in my opinion, I think he was baited in the lowest moment a player could possibly be at. The fact he rose out of that dark hole is impressive I think, his game could have taken a nosedive completely but it seemed to strengthen him and his game after he locked in during the playoffs after that. When I hear about KD supposedly trying to set up a question to respond to Skip Bayless with a reporter, that's amazing right there too. I used to always see KD buried in his phone at his locker after playoff games and I wondered what he was doing. I wonder if Wall & Beal will improve their play together after them hearing this noise about them, or if Wall really believes in what he says and not playing for the money or care. I don't know if some of these players use social media and that 24/7 sports coverage noise as a tool to motivate them or work on certain parts of their game but if I were in some of their positions, I'd try very hard to not have it cloud my thoughts on a regular basis.

Kobe seems to very unique in that regard since he came at the tail-end of last generation and brought that attitude into this current generation and stayed at a high level. Tim Duncan in a way too and we never heard much from him anyways. I always wonder how some of the past greats would have been if they came around in this age of technology and social media. That's why I can't stand seeing people say that MJ/Bird/Magic/etc would never say this or do that. It's like we don't have a damn clue how they would have been if they were born in the late 80s/early 90s and molded in this generation ha. I do find it fascinating to imagine though, that'd be a great Bleacher Report cartoon (like those Game of Zones episodes). Bird would have probably been cold-blooded on Twitter in his trash talk and opinions about past greats and other players. Barkley would have been hilarious I’m sure as he always has been. Maybe it would have shaped some players differently than the way they were in their actual time.

People for the most part, probably always want to say the right things (especially) when in the public eye but with a society over-saturated with critics, bloggers, and straight up roasters, nothing will probably ever be the right answer or response, or even non-response for some. Everyone’s a certified critic or expert in their own little way and has their opinions, which is fine I guess, I’m doing it right now I suppose. It’s a weird business and that’s probably why I limit how much time I spend discussing certain things online and such. I love my movies and sports and love nothing more to discuss them with friends, but it gets out of hand so easily and often. It’s too much ugly online and it even frustrates me at times with how I can be treated online, and I’m not even the one on TV being talked about. I missed whatever happened in here a couple weeks ago or whatever but it sounded like it got personal. But hey, that’s that forum business.

The positive aspect of it that I see from time to time are things like what happened a few weeks ago where that video of the player in a pick-up game in full Jordan attire was playing went viral, and Jordan himself was able to get in touch with the player (who is autistic) and got him a bunch of free swag and a phone call, that's just awesome. What started off as a bunch of clowning on this guy (which I'm guilty of but I didn't know the autism part until the story came back up) turned into a great story. There's a lot of great young talent coming in this year and I hope we get to see some great things and they are tutored the right way in handling all the noise.

- On another note, I had some very small thought come to mind of the violence in Chicago when D-Wade announced he was going to the Bulls. When I think of Chicago, I seem to just think of how bad it’s gotten there since I’m from Gary, Indiana myself (which isn’t far from there and the reason my folks didn’t raise me there) and I have plenty of family in or near Chicago. It’s surreal that Wade’s cousin was killed before he even suited up for a game for the city yet. He did grow up in Chicago but that’s crazy this happened so quickly into his new chapter with the Bulls. :(

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw a clip about that, I didn't see the full quote or anything but something about James saying that Jordan's teammates don't all get the credit they deserve. And apparently Stephen A went off about that. Don't people always say things like Pippen wouldn't have 6 rings without MJ? I even remember Stephen saying something along those lines when Pippen said that LeBron could go down as the greatest player or something years ago. It makes sense to me since Jordan is the greatest ever and he's front and center the reason why the Bulls had those 6 championships.
MJ wouldn't have 6 rings without Pippen either so it works both ways. As a matter of fact, MJ never had a single winning season without Pippen. (or Jackson)

If there is such a thing as "greatest ever" (there isn't), then it certainly would not be a shooting guard. Anyone that wants to pass up all the great centers (Wilt, Russell, Kareem) in favor of a shooting guard that only improved the 27 win Bulls to 38 wins and had three straight losing seasons while getting booted out of the playoffs in the first round better enjoy losing.

Lebron is probably tired of hearing how he is supposed to do everything at all times when no other star ever did that. Certainly not MJ...who had teammates hit winning shots all the time. It wasn't MJ blocking Charles Smith like four times in a row to beat the Knicks.

Yet MJ fans suddenly think it's a huge crime when Ray Allen hit a winning shot. Nevermind that shot would not have meant a thing if Lebron didn't go off in the 4th quarter for 16 points to get the Heat back into the game in the first place. Meanwhile Wade...whom MJ fans love to claim is awesome...scored 2 points in that 4th quarter. If Lebron had Pippen instead he would have had a lot more success.
C'mon man, everyone knows he only got those championships because of the lockout and Ray Allen's 3. Not to mention the league givinig it to him this year, let's be real here. :o

I'm pretty sure he meant "hard path" as in selling your soul to the basketball gods to reward you with some extra luck.
That didn't work very well for Lebron if he did that. He never got a great coach, had to face superior teams in Finals constantly, and of course last year his 2nd and 3rd best teammates got hurt.

MJ must have made that deal. All the great teams of the 80s got old just in time, NBA expansion waters down the league, he gets Phil Jackson and Pippen, never has to play the 2nd best team of the 90s (Rockets) in the Finals, Popovich gives them Rodman for Perdue, and they missed the Spurs by one year too. Now that's a run of luck!

Larry Byrd would be the NBA's biggest villain if he played today. He'd talk the coldest s*** and still whoop you.

I was glancing through my DVR schedule for the next 2 weeks, and I saw an NBA pre-season game on the schedule. Wow, can't believe it's already time again! Go Pacers!

Respect to KG, IMO, right there with Duncan as the best PF to play the game. The most versatile player at that size I ever saw in his prime, and one hell of a leader during his later years...

I'm reading that it's only a 6 week thing. Still, not a good way to start. 76ers have horrible luck.

Anyone else following the preseason? GSW v Clippers already looks like a cheat code.

I don't know what is a bigger sign of Le*****'s arrogance. The fact that he thinks anyone gives a **** about his political views (sorry buddy, I don't take political advice from someone whose highest level of education is grade 12 anymore than I take stock tips from a homeless man) or the fact that he wrote an endorsement op-ed of someone and didn't even get to the person he was endorsing until the 14th paragraph, spending 14 of 19 paragraphs talking about himself and his own accomplishments. God, I'd hate to hear the guy give a best man toast. He probably wouldn't even mention the newlyweds.

Edit: and before certain posters come in here and act like I kicked their dog for talking **** on someone they have never met who gives approximately 0 ****s about them, this post is meant to be tongue in cheek.

I don't know what is a bigger sign of Le*****'s arrogance. The fact that he thinks anyone gives a **** about his political views (sorry buddy, I don't take political advice from someone whose highest level of education is grade 12 anymore than I take stock tips from a homeless man) or the fact that he wrote an endorsement op-ed of someone and didn't even get to the person he was endorsing until the 14th paragraph, spending 14 of 19 paragraphs talking about himself and his own accomplishments. God, I'd hate to hear the guy give a best man toast. He probably wouldn't even mention the newlyweds.

Edit: and before certain posters come in here and act like I kicked their dog for talking **** on someone they have never met who gives approximately 0 ****s about them, this post is meant to be tongue in cheek.

Doesn't take an expert to realize that Trump is one of the worst choices for President ever. Ohio is a swing state and his voice does matter to a lot of people in that state and a Clinton endorsement is a big deal. Most people probably didn't even read what he wrote but only the headline.

Doesn't take an expert to realize that Trump is one of the worst choices for President ever. Ohio is a swing state and his voice does matter to a lot of people in that state and a Clinton endorsement is a big deal. Most people probably didn't even read what he wrote but only the headline.

If someone is going to vote a certain way because a basketball player with a high school level education (which is putting it generously considering he was probably given no show grades for all of his classes in order to maintain his eligibility like most star high school athletes are) tells them to, I pray for the sake of our Democracy that said person simply does not vote as they clearly are not smart enough to appreciate the responsibility or weight that comes with voting. Hell, this election shows the consequences of letting morons like that vote. They are the exact type of idiots who are voting for Donald Trump.

Lebron does something...

...Matt attacks Lebron. ;)

I wish Lebron had endorsed Gary Johnson personally.

If someone is going to vote a certain way because a basketball player with a high school level education (which is putting it generously considering he was probably given no show grades for all of his classes in order to maintain his eligibility like most star high school athletes are) tells them to, I pray for the sake of our Democracy that said person simply does not vote as they clearly are not smart enough to appreciate the responsibility or weight that comes with voting. Hell, this election shows the consequences of letting morons like that vote. They are the exact type of idiots who are voting for Donald Trump.

I mean, look, I'm with you on that. I'm not getting any of my political information from sport stars but to the regular man or woman who cares more about sports than their president, an endorsement by LeBron (in Cleveland) is a big deal. I'm not going to complain because anything to get more votes away from Trump is fine by me.

I don't know what is a bigger sign of Le*****'s arrogance. The fact that he thinks anyone gives a **** about his political views (sorry buddy, I don't take political advice from someone whose highest level of education is grade 12 .

A few years ago, LeBron was asked about a couple of world news headlines and took criticism when he said he had no comment because he hadn't familiarized himself with the situation yet. I don't remember the exact subject matter, but it was admirable of LeBron to say "I don't know" rather than give a half-baked, kneejerk reaction as many celebs often do.

According to people in Akron, LeBron is very socially active. That doesn't *necessarily* correlate to being informed on political matters but it suggests that he's not myopic. It wouldn't surprise me to know that a man over 30 is starting to realize his place in the world and thus becoming more informed about what's happening beyond the basketball court.

A few years ago, LeBron was asked about a couple of world news headlines and took criticism when he said he had no comment because he hadn't familiarized himself with the situation yet. I don't remember the exact subject matter, but it was admirable of LeBron to say "I don't know" rather than give a half-baked, kneejerk reaction as many celebs often do.

According to people in Akron, LeBron is very socially active. That doesn't *necessarily* correlate to being informed on political matters but it suggests that he's not myopic. It wouldn't surprise me to know that a man over 30 is starting to realize his place in the world and thus becoming more informed about what's happening beyond the basketball court.

This election shows what happened when a man of limited education and a big mouth, who thinks his opinion is worth something because he has been successful in a completely different field, starts using his fame to get involved in an area in which he has no expertise or business advising others on. And unlike Le*****, Donald Trump is actually a somewhat smart person. Results are still a disaster. Yeah, unless he plans to return to college, educate himself, and actually learn the nuances of the issues (rather than write a political endorsement that does little more than talk about how great he, himself, is and compare the importance of an NBA championship to POTUS), Le***** should stick to basketball.

Last edited:
This election shows what happened when a man of limited education and a big mouth, who thinks his opinion is worth something because he has been successful in a completely different field, starts using his fame to get involved in an area in which he has no expertise or business advising others on. And unlike Le*****, Donald Trump is actually a somewhat smart person. Results are still a disaster. Yeah, unless he plans to return to college, educate himself, and actually learn the nuances of the issues (rather than write a political endorsement that does little more than talk about how great he, himself, is and compare the importance of an NBA championship to POTUS), Le***** should stick to basketball.
LeBron is more intelligent than Trump. And a better businessman. After this election Trump's brand will be shot because no one will go to his hotels or golf courses, and unlike The Donald, LeBron is actually a self made millionaire.

Ya, because nobody ever had any knowledge/interests/impact outside of their chosen profession. :whatever:

The post you responded to showed you EXACTLY how different the two are - when Lebron doesn't know something, he doesn't make an ass out of himself. He has shown that he educates himself in his business/philanthropic endeavors. I understand that you hate him, but the statement above is ridiculous and lacks any kind of real perspective.

Last edited:
Ya, because nobody ever had any knowledge/interests/impact outside of their chosen profession. :whatever:

The post you responded to showed you EXACTLY how different the two are - when Lebron doesn't know something, he doesn't make an ass out of himself. He has shown that he educates himself in his business/philanthropic endeavors. I understand that you hate him, but the statement above is ridiculous and lacks any kind of real perspective.

Your response shows that you lack any real perspective about the fact that I am, in essence, the Jerry the King Lawler of this thread. Which is amazing considering I explicitly stated as much in my original post on his endorsement.

Your response shows that you lack any real perspective about the fact that I am, in essence, the Jerry the King Lawler of this thread. Which is amazing considering I explicitly stated as much in my original post on his endorsement.
You're basically Stephen A Smith. Entertaining, but delusional. But to each his own.

You're basically Stephen A Smith. Entertaining, but delusional. But to each his own.

More of a Skip Bayless, really. Stephen A. is sincere. Like Skip, I say **** because I know it works up certain people who think any criticism of LeBron James is akin to kicking their mom and their puppy.

I've been hearing rumors that when the NBA announces a new CBA deal, that they would consider expansion again. Not sure if that will work, but if the NBA goes with an NFL like 32 team league, it'll probably be Seattle and................I think if they go to 32, they will go the "only game in town route" which would leave cities like Louisville, Omaha, Albuquerque and Virginia Beach as options. If they do expand, I don't see the NBA going with two cities with multiple sports teams in multiple leagues, which I think eliminates Pittsburgh, Vancouver and Kansas City.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"