Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

They gave Endgame 3/5 so they arent big fans of fantasy stuff, but the show may still suck. Cant believe it will be as dull as Iron Fist though and I sat through all that, lol.

Yeah, I doubt many people read FT for the movie reviews, lol. But even if they have some bias against the material, the show might still be a trainwreck. I hope not though.

First "pro" review is 2/5 from Financial Times. It broke embargo and was deleted. Mostly mockery and the only thing I got from it is that it fails to be Game of Thrones. I don't know if it tried to be, because they're really different to begin with... Also, the review is based on the first 5 episodes.
Well, that is how they are pushing it. But it's one review. That being said, it really should be getting good reviews, even if it is just okay. When it comes to RT, genre stuff usually fairs well. I am looking at you CW shows...

Well, that is how they are pushing it. But it's one review. That being said, it really should be getting good reviews, even if it is just okay. When it comes to RT, genre stuff usually fairs well. I am looking at you CW shows...

The high RT scores that those CW shows get just makes me facepalm. It’s like they just give them a pass no matter how mediocre they are.

I thought they're banking mostly on Cavill, he's basically the only recognizable face on the show, and I remember GoT promos to be quite different. Granted I didn't follow them closely.

And I SERIOUSLY hope Witcher is A LOT better than anything CW.

Heh, yeah at the very least, it needs to be better than a CW show.

Though no way in hell will it be better than season one of Crazy Ex Girlfriend. :o

01172347-F160-4272-9129-3-E15-ADE8-E136.gif

To anyone that cares.

If you want to read the story that Dandelion's song, "Toss a coin to Your Witcher", is inspired by it is the short story, "The Edge of the World", and it's in the short story collection, "The Last Wish".

That's also a good collection to read if you want to get a feel for the world of the Witcher books.

I thought they're banking mostly on Cavill, he's basically the only recognizable face on the show, and I remember GoT promos to be quite different. Granted I didn't follow them closely.

And I SERIOUSLY hope Witcher is A LOT better than anything CW.

I mean in terms of stardom yeah, but there are other recognizable veterans in the cast. MyAnna Buring, Lars Mikkelsen, people like that. Honestly, though I find it to the show's benefit. A lot of new, fresh faces here.

I mean in terms of stardom yeah, but there are other recognizable veterans in the cast. MyAnna Buring, Lars Mikkelsen, people like that. Honestly, though I find it to the show's benefit. A lot of new, fresh faces here.
I prefer fresh faces (or less known veterans like you mentioned) too. I never fault a movie or series for not having stars. I just don't see much similarities between GoT and Witcher promos...

I prefer fresh faces (or less known veterans like you mentioned) too. I never fault a movie or series for not having stars. I just don't see much similarities between GoT and Witcher promos...

They are different. Witcher leans more heavily into fantasy and sword & sorcery IMO. I think it's a lot more "pulpy." And by pulp, I mean old-school pulp sword & sorcery fantasy stuff.

They are different. Witcher leans more heavily into fantasy and sword & sorcery IMO. I think it's a lot more "pulpy." And by pulp, I mean old-school pulp sword & sorcery fantasy stuff.

I'm my opinion The Witcher is way closer to Conan the Barbarian (movie and book) than Game of Thrones (tv version).

When do we start seeing reviews for this? Has to be soon, right?

The lack of reviews disturbs me. This comes out Friday, right? Or maybe Netflix shows' reviews all come out at the last minute? I'm not sure.

I watched Ben Morrison Spoiler free thoughts on the Witcher episode 1 on YouTube. The video just popped up in the recommended section and that's the only reason I saw it because before then I had never seen the guy's channel.

So, still no reviews and it comes out Friday. I'm thinking the critical reception is on par with most of Cavill's other projects, unfortunately.

Sigh please don't suck

I would be devastated if this isn't at least ok with room for improvement

I hope that's the case but... seriously, NO reviews yet?

Kind of want this to be good for Cavill's sake who seems to genuinely care more than usual about the role and fought hard to get it, but that alone wont necessarily mean it will turn out good.

The lack of reviews this close, is somewhat disturbing, all we have to go on is some initial tweets to the first 5 or so episodes some got to see which was mostly positive. I guess tomorrow though we find out for ourselves anyway, still excited to see what they came up with anyway.

Kind of want this to be good for Cavill's sake who seems to genuinely care more than usual about the role and fought hard to get it, but that alone wont necessarily mean it will turn out good.

The lack of reviews this close, is somewhat disturbing, all we have to go on is some initial tweets to the first 5 or so episodes some got to see which was mostly positive. I guess tomorrow though we find out for ourselves anyway, still excited to see what they came up with anyway.
Let's be fair. No reviews, no matter their quality, are going to stop us from watching this. So we will make up our own minds very soon.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"