Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

Yeah it's confusing to me other than something something diversity.

Which I can get for some shows, but again The Witcher actually has countries that are meant to be alternate universe versions of Africa and the Middle-East that would have those people. However, Fringilla would not be one of them. And Fringilla has a direct relation to the Toussaint nobility in the books. So, to change her race, you will have to alter her backstory as well. Or change the backstory of other characters/countries.

Granted, most of my visual reference for Fringilla is the games, so this is not a hill I'm gonna die on. I don't need Fringilla to look a certain way or be Nilfgaardian or whatever. I'm not gonna make YouTube videos and rage about this.

The main things I care about are Geralt, Witcher code, School of the Wolf, Kaer Morhen, Vesemir, and Yennefer's personality, Geralt and Dandelion's bromance.

Last edited:
At this point I expect Dandelion to be Ciri's childhood pet. Probably a dog or maybe a ferret if they're feeling adventurous which based on other casting choices they are feeling very adventurous.

Geralt will be constantly having to deal with Dandelion getting into trouble and ****ting all over Kaer Morhen. Typical pet stuff that will frustrate Geralt to no end. But deep down Geralt will love the pet and his shenanigans.

Im not exactly thrilled by some of the casting but i will hold my judgement until i see the characters on screen.
Cuz even if theyre occasionally right, fanboys are famous for being super wrong about keaton, ledger, hathaway, jackman, gal gadot etc.
Its true those werent race bent, but for me, its still a lesson in wait-and-see.

More stuff from Reddit. Looks like a 100 years old character won't be a problem. :o

he7hhyq6fft11.jpg

I gravitate to her a lot. But let's see if she will make a great Yennefer.

Every time someone brings up Fringilla in this I get worked up about this project. Its almost like I wish the actress would drop out and they could recast Fringilla properly

More stuff from Reddit. Looks like a 100 years old character won't be a problem. :o

he7hhyq6fft11.jpg

I mean she played Miss Havisham once in a stage version of Great Expectations. A photo of this doesn't convince me she can play a convincing Yennefer.

I mean she played Miss Havisham once in a stage version of Great Expectations. A photo of this doesn't convince me she can play a convincing Yennefer.
I didn't try to convince anyone with that photo. I'm yet to be convinced myself.

so much negativity in this thread... how about we spice things up... casting call.... UMA UMA

I say..... Maggie Gylennhaal

At this point I wouldve taken Yvonne Strahovski as Yen since she already played a "Space Yen" in Mass Effect.

Like you couldn't find Natalie Dormer for Fringilla?

I am hoping around Comic-Con we will get a better view of what the show will be. They haven't even started filming yet, so while I have some misgivings about the casting, it's still kind of early to totally lose it.

Fight and sword choreography will be important. Costumes, etc. I'm more sort of concerned about how immersive it looks. Will they have enough time on post-production to make monsters and creatures look really impressive, etc.

In 2019, fans are not going to accept a Witcher TV show that looks like Inhumans level. So I'm more worried about the production elements and presentation than the casting.

Also, I'm hoping Vesemir and the priestess Nenneke will be in it and they will get good talents to play them.

Last edited:
At the end of the day she auditioned for the part. In the audition she did enough for them to say that is yen.
None of us saw the audition so until we see her playing the part can't really say if she is a good fit for the part or not.

I'm hoping that Netflix is ambitious about The Witcher series. And they seek to take over from Game of Thrones. And if so, they need to invest. It needs to have high production values and decent budget.

I'm somewhat not worried about costumes, sets or sword fighting, but I'm worried about casting and beasts FX/prosthetics.

When it comes to secondary characters, it's a bit strange. They ordered only 8 episodes so far, but, according to Recapped, Triss has an actress already. She's barely mentioned in the first two books, as I recall. And there's a lot to unpack. Kaer Morhen and Triss substantially join the story only by the third book. How much are they willing to skip?

I'm hoping that Netflix is ambitious about The Witcher series. And they seek to take over from Game of Thrones. And if so, they need to invest. It needs to have high production values and decent budget.

I'm somewhat not worried about costumes, sets or sword fighting, but I'm worried about casting and beasts FX/prosthetics.

When it comes to secondary characters, it's a bit strange. They ordered only 8 episodes so far, but, according to Recapped, Triss has an actress already. She's barely mentioned in the first two books, as I recall. And there's a lot to unpack. Kaer Morhen and Triss substantially join the story only by the third book. How much are they willing to skip?

Think it's more how much are they willing to change and add?

Agreed (@OutOfBoose), although I hope for great costumes, sets and sword-fighting too (which are all great on GoT). Casting is always crucial of course, but Witcher might have more beasts and FX which will be very important. GoT has the dragons which weigh on the budget more so in recent seasons, but there wasn't all that much of this needed in the medieval, political intrigue stuff at the beginning.

Since geralt would be fighting beasts a lot of the time i wonder if they could adapt the his technique from the games. Or would it be too wild?

I hope they keep that and the signs too.

Since geralt would be fighting beasts a lot of the time i wonder if they could adapt the his technique from the games. Or would it be too wild?
I believe it's unnecessary since it looks more like martial arts, than something that can hurt anyone and especially beasts.

Maybe wild swingin like that is useful for training dexterity and coordination, but I hope actual swordfights are more practical and to the point. Not necessarily super-realistic, just gritty enough.

Think it's more how much are they willing to change and add?
That too, of course. I'm just saying there's more than plenty of material to fill first 8 episodes even without Triss and Kaer Morhen. It makes me think they're willing to put Ciri's arrival to Kaer Morhen and at least beginning of training in the first season already. If they intent to keep it like in the books or close.

I believe it's unnecessary since it looks more like martial arts, than something that can hurt anyone and especially beasts.

Maybe wild swingin like that is useful for training dexterity and coordination, but I hope actual swordfights are more practical and to the point. Not necessarily super-realistic, just gritty enough.

They can't do it too realistic you wont see anything.

They can't do it too realistic you wont see anything.
Like I said in the post above, no need for dances with swords a-la Star Wars prequels. Or water dancing from Game of Thrones. There are plenty of good examples of medieval/fantasy sword fighting in movies/series without some fancy crap.

Like I said in the post above, no need for dances with swords a-la Star Wars prequels. Or water dancing from Game of Thrones. There are plenty of good examples of medieval/fantasy sword fighting in movies/series without some fancy crap.

Yeah i know. Just like that video. Everyone seems to think the longsword is "slow".

Rough in execution, but I like the vibe of it:

tumblr_pgek4tbieK1veb4qco1_1280.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back