Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

Yeah Mikkelson would be perfect as an older Geralt towards the end of hiw witching career but assuming this series would run for a while you want to start with a younger more agile chap in his mid to late 30's and see his progression to the more mature and wisened old Geralt.

As Vesimir, perfectly fine.
Yeah, Witchers aren't immortal, but they do age slower. Geralt included. So you want someone who is experienced but also can convincingly play mid-to-late 30s for a while.

I can see Mikkelsen playing that more wisened, experienced mentor type of role. It's not necessarily a bad thing. Vesemir is the Wolf School's fencing instructor and basically teaches Geralt everything he knows. He's also arguably the best swordsman in the Wolf School.

You can do a lot with Vesemir. He's one of my favorite characters. Plus his past with him being part of the Witcher purge and not being at the school when an angry mob invaded Kaer Moerhn and killed everyone there. All the Wolf School's secrets were lost to time. It's why they can't make Witchers anymore. I truly believe Vesemir not being there when it happened eats away at him. Young students were butchered. They were likely his students.

Last edited:
vQFTAAL.jpg

DAYWGLeXUAAlh2Y.jpg

A 10 minute photoshop jobby :D

God I'm WAY too excited for this show :p

Did someone ask Marvolo a question? I didn't think so.

Eh that's not so bad and it can let the show stand on its own. As much as I love the games, this series existed long before the games came along and blew everyone away.

Its a bit of a shame the game will be ignored completely, especially in the asthetic department of how characters look or monsters are ingrained in my mind now but that might just be because I have spent more time with the game than the books at the moment. Still that might just be me and the game is set after the events of the book so the story wouldnt have an effect on that.

At the end of the day the characters are the same so its not like it will be totally different but can concentrate on the books alone which are very good as I am discovering as much as the game and the books did, of course, come first so its probably right at the end of the day.

I want more involvement of Triss than was apparently in the books, but I don't know that the article rules that out, because they didn't say they'd be taking zero cues from the games.

Brian Cox for Vesemir!

What are the biggest differences between the books and games? I've only played Witcher 2 & 3 and read some comics, so that's all I know

I want more involvement of Triss than was apparently in the books, but I don't know that the article rules that out, because they didn't say they'd be taking zero cues from the games.
More Triss is always good. I think it makes sense that they'd play up the love triangle aspect (for better or worse) to get Triss in more. I'd personally like to see more of her relationship with Ciri.

Brian Cox for Vesemir!

What are the biggest differences between the books and games? I've only played Witcher 2 & 3 and read some comics, so that's all I know

From what I know the whole Triss romance didnt come into until the games started, although they did hook up in the books once but that was due to Geralt being tricked by Triss and obviously all the games are set after the books are complete chronologically speaking. From some things I have read online a lot of fans of the books are not happy about the whole Triss/Jen/Geralt triangle so it will be interesting to see if that does make it into the show or not, if the games are to be ignored it wouldnt be included, Im not sure it seems complicated!!

Last edited:
Brian Cox for Vesemir!

The Witcher games take place after the books, so there isn't *too* much that is different, as the "history" the games include/mention don't really contradict the books. I'm sure there are some minor things, but nothing that I can really think of right now. Speaking for myself, the hope that the games would have some influence comes down to stuff like character/monster designs, music, visual representations of magic, etc; things that the books simply couldn't do due to the medium.

Yeah the games incorporate a lot of the history and lore of what was established in the books and move it forward for their storytelling.

In the books, the monster world is in decline. That doesn't seem to quite be the case in the games. It seems the Witcher world is more in decline than the monsters who seem to still be quite plentiful. I mean, Geralt doesn't have a ton of trouble looking for Witcher work from town to town.

I think Eredin's motivations in the books are slightly different.

Also in the books, the Witcher signs are in there, but they are a little more frequent and way more powerful in the games.

Geralt is a little more emotional and philosophical about his lot in life as a Witcher. He has a lot of self-loathing. Geralt is different from other Witchers in that they aren't really supposed to display their emotions, but Geralt is actually very emotional. He broods way more in the books than in the games.

His emotional state can likely be attributed to him having a very powerful lineage. His mother was a druid priestess and a sorceress. His father was a strong warrior. So, even without becoming a Witcher, he had a strong bloodline and probably could've been easily raised and bred for combat.

Geralt had a lot of early success in the Trial of Grasses, better than most. So the Witcher mages did even further experiments on Geralt, which is what caused his hair to turn white. Granted, these experiments are brutal, and the survival rate on the children forced to undergo them are minimal. That's probably a big reason why Geralt has sort of an honest, self-loathing view on Witchers. It's not exactly an honorable profession or group.

A part of me wonders if the unconventional experiments Geralt received allow him to experience stronger emotions than the other Witchers who have better control over their emotions. On top of that, I suspect his strong genes might also have allowed his emotions to come off as more human than other Witchers in general.

Last edited:
Its a bit of a shame the game will be ignored completely, especially in the asthetic department of how characters look or monsters are ingrained in my mind now but that might just be because I have spent more time with the game than the books at the moment. Still that might just be me and the game is set after the events of the book so the story wouldnt have an effect on that.

At the end of the day the characters are the same so its not like it will be totally different but can concentrate on the books alone which are very good as I am discovering as much as the game and the books did, of course, come first so its probably right at the end of the day.

I'm half way through the last book, Lady of the Lake. And throughout reading all the books, I was seeing the games aesthetic. It is such a shame no influence will be had from the games. But I have a feeling that is a Sapkowski call (though it is a pure guess on my part).

Last edited:
I'm half way through the last book, Lady of the Lake. And throughout reading all the books, I was seeing the games aesthetic. It is such a shame no influence will be had from the games. But I have a feeling that is a Sapkowski call (though it is a pure guess on my part).

Yeah I guess they didnt want to get too hemmed in with design choices and stifle the creativity by just copying the looks of things from the games, its fair enough I guess and yes Sapkowski hasnt always been vocally supportive of the games so wouldnt be surprised if he was part of that decision.

I'm sure a lot of things will still be recognisable though, it will just be a slightly different take on some things and I'm sure if they pull out all the stops it will be compelling. The great thing about the books is how much of the subject matter is very relevant to our world today and could be a great commentary on numerous things if done right.

Sapkowski should lighten up. He wouldn't have the opportunity to make money on a new TV series if not for the games.

I was watching season 3 of 12 Monkeys and got to thinking about Todd Stashwick as Geralt.

I'm soooooo freaking excited for this....but also soooo freaking nervous lol.

My guess is this will follow the books? Which are great however there is one aspect of the games I hope they bring into this production.....

The composer....

Marcin Przybyłowicz

His scores for the games and expansions are incredible.

Him or any of the other composers who have worked on the series would be incredible!

Edit: I also hope they incorporate the short stories into the series somehow as well, those are actually some of my favorite parts of the books, just watching Geralt do hunting instead of some grand epic story.

Last edited:
I love the music for the games, especially this theme:

[YT]fOn1xdGkyHY[/YT]

I think a variation of this theme was found in each game.

Yeah another reason its a shame the games are being ignored, the music is fantastic in W3 especially, from the main theme to the background Gwent music, really fitting. Hope the show can come up with something equally good.

The music is incredible, I can listen to "The Fields of Ard Skellig" on repeat, used to be so soothing.

On another note

Another reason the games being ignored sucks for me is that the video game interpretation of Toussaint in blood & wine is one of the most beautiful things I've seen period.

I also love The Fields of Ard Skellig. It's so peaceful and serene. There's majesty to it as well.

[YT]NknjE2SBPxw[/YT]

Even if the show isn't based on the game, I hope they can get some of the same composers, so maybe it will have a similar sound and quality level. Plus all the Polish inspirations.

Something else they can do for a TV show is expand Ofir and Zerrikania.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"