Netflix's The Witcher - General Discussion Thread

Sometimes bad CGI in moves and TV shows is criticized because it looks like a PS4 cut scene. Goat boy looked like a cut scene from PS1.

just finished this and wow i loved it

henry cavill was amazing as geralt i truly believe he was made for this role not superman

Hopefully there's a few things that can be improved upon next time out, Nilf armor, some of the monsters designs (although some were good) and details like Geralt's eye's perhaps more cat like etc.

I really do not like Jaskier, but it feels like the show wanted me to.

yea no way was goatboy cgi... that looked straight up from Dark Crystal lol that was, to me, by far the worst part of the show.

next to triss. but she didn't seem to be in it so much so i barely complain about her

they could have gotten Jim Bruer to do it and it been better looking

81963931_10156858655893027_4619887683680862208_n.jpg

he kinda looks like harry potter

I hope we get to see Jaskier really dandied up next season. He was too reserved this season. I want something like this...

latest

He should be vibrant and stand out in a crowd.

Yeah. I'm kind of amazed anyone would think its cgi.

The design and everything about Goatboy was just awkward and uncomfortable.

He looked awful and so I just assumed it was bad CGI.

‘Zero Women Can Fight With A Sword’ Claims ‘The Witcher’ Critic

Sometimes you should stop while you’re ahead.

For conservative commentator, novelist and Daily Wire podcast host Andrew Klavan, that was probably back when Clint Eastwood adapted his book True Crime into a movie by the same name. Everything since has been decidedly downhill and, well, to the right. Always to the right.

For instance, Klavan’s critique of Netflix’s fantasy drama The Witcher. Here he is speaking of Queen Calantha, the monarch of Cintra and grandmother of Ciri:

“Immediately I was put off by the fact that there’s a queen in this who fights like a man,” said Klavan. “There’s a couple of scenes where women fight with swords. And I just hate these scenes, because no women can fight with swords. Zero women can fight with a sword.”

A rather bold claim. Bold and unsubstantiated.

While the history of swordfighting may indeed be dominated by men, plenty of women—ranging all the way back to Joan of Arc and beyond—have taken up blades for fun or for blood.

Klavan also claims that all men are “much, much, much” stronger than any woman, clearly ignoring every female boxer, bodybuilder and wrestler, many of whom are much, much, much stronger than many men.

“What I mean by that is in a situation where you are fighting men who are used to fighting with swords, you are going to get killed if you are a woman fighting with a sword 100 percent of the time,” Klavan clarified. “A woman with a sword could kill somebody who doesn’t know how to fight with a sword. But in a war situation, where you are swinging this five to ten pound sword again and again and again, against much, much, much stronger men, they are going to kill you.”

He’s also bothered by Calanthe’s behavior.

“This queen is… she’s a man,” Klavan remarks. “They should have made the character a man. She’s a man. She’s, uh, gross. And she swaggers around, and she rips into the meat and tears it with her teeth and, you know, and then… and curses people out. She’s a man.”

I guess he isnt a fan of Vikings either.

Bloke who said it seems like a complete idiot I agree but whoever wrote doesn't seem like they are too far behind them going the other way lol.

Tbh I didn't really buy Calantha as a fierce warrior either I mean I liked her character and the actress, Renfri I no problem at all they made it very clear that while she wasn't quite a match for the Witcher she seems to have been top 3 fighters we have seen in the show so far. Think some of that maybe goes down to them if I remember correctly never actually showing us her in combat.

I hope we get to see Jaskier really dandied up next season. He was too reserved this season. I want something like this...

latest

He should be vibrant and stand out in a crowd.

Nearly fell of my chair picturing Joey wearing this lol

Well he has rocked the long hair look before so he could go down that route again in time.

I also think somebody should tell him that a sword like Calanthe used would be in the 2-3 pound weight range, 3.5 lb max. While I do have a couple issues with Calanthe her being a woman is not one of them. I might not have a issue with something like this if it was a well thought out and informed opinion but to me this just comes off as women weak, men strong.

What don't you like about him?

Disclaimer: I'm only familiar with the show.

Where to start? For one he's painfully unfunny, which at times feels like the point. But then most times he says things that I just can't imagine any real human saying. Like telling people they have goose-like necks as an actual compliment. It's just shoddy writing imo. The kinda stuff that makes me feel like the writers just went with their first ideas and never thought twice. He was like a rough draft that gained sentience.

Adding to that, he contributes absolutely nothing and is unapologetically self-absorbed. And that would be totally fine if not for the fact that we're clearly meant to worry about him whenever he's in danger and feel bad for him when Geralt finally blows up at him. It just felt like an insult to my intelligence that the show expected me to root for this friendship despite offering up nothing in the way of showing Jaskier as an actual friend.

Maybe all this gets paid off or something, I guess we'll see. But gawd, I find every scene with him more and more difficult to sit through.

Disclaimer: I'm only familiar with the show.

Where to start? For one he's painfully unfunny, which at times feels like the point. But then most times he says things that I just can't imagine any real human saying. Like telling people they have goose-like necks as an actual compliment. It's just shoddy writing imo. The kinda stuff that makes me feel like the writers just went with their first ideas and never thought twice. He was like a rough draft that gained sentience.

Adding to that, he contributes absolutely nothing and is unapologetically self-absorbed. And that would be totally fine if not for the fact that we're clearly meant to worry about him whenever he's in danger and feel bad for him when Geralt finally blows up at him. It just felt like an insult to my intelligence that the show expected me to root for this friendship despite offering up nothing in the way of showing Jaskier as an actual friend.

Maybe all this gets paid off or something, I guess we'll see. But gawd, I find every scene with him more and more difficult to sit through.

To me it seems odd that they changed the story in episode 2 to be the first time they meet, where as in the story the episode is based on Geralt and Dandelion already know each other and if I'm not getting stories mixed up are looking for a job to make money for food. I have to be honest there were a couple of times where I felt like I only understood what was going on because of knowledge of the books and games. I sure there is a better way to word what I'm saying but it just isn't coming to me.

I do have to say I'm not the biggest Dandelion fan myself in the books or games. As for the show I'm probably in the same boat as I am with the books and games. At times I like him other times I'm like ok lets move on.

The contribution Jaskier makes to Geralt in my mind is that he humanizes him to the villagers. It’s a clear and recurring theme that the average folk fear and despise Geralt, and that starts to soften when Jaskier writes songs and endears Geralt to them a bit. So it’s a transactional friendship at first where Geralt protects Jaskier and gives him new material, and in return Geralt’s got an occasionally useful friend, but more importantly an average person that doesn’t despise him.

The friendship between him and Jaskier seems like a clear analogue for Geralt’s position with regard to the average folk in the universe, and so far seems to have been executed quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"