Rocksteady's Suicide Squad: Kill the Justice League

I've still been having fun with this game. I will say, playing solo it has been a solid 6/10 for me. Some fun story moments and entertaining gameplay, but I've been less than certain of the longevity. BUT, since I started playing it fully co-op with 2 friends and my partner, we've been having a total blast. I think there's a lot of character build cohesion and combat nuance when playing in co-op that was completely lost on me in single player. Like one criticism I had about the skill trees seeming mostly very boring, it's actually totally come alive in co-op. I think one problem is likely that a lot of work has gone into making the co-op stuff work very well, but then they've tried to market it as also a single player game?

No, this is built around free flowing, seamless co-op mayhem, and if you go in looking for that you're more likely to have a good time. But yeah, I definitely think the controversy around this game is definitely overblown. It's still not amazing, but the 4 player co op has bumped it up to a 7/10 for me.

I personally didn't mind the Avengers game and thought the characters were well designed, but the missions and game world was so meh. Compared to that, I think the multiplayer here really is intergrated much better.

It is important to point out that Rocksteady was already working on a multiplayer game that was outside of what they were familiar with before they got Suicide Squad after WB Montreal's SS game was cancelled.

Yeah, but did we knew what kind of? A shooter or so?
Would be interesting to see anything from the game they had in mind before WB told them to make SS.

Ive been thinking a lot about the Avengers game recently, especially looking at this game.
Those who played both, how are they compared to each other?
For all the problems Avengers had, it at least gave you characters who felt completely different when playing right?

Would be interesting to see anything from the game they had in mind before WB told them to make SS.

Ive been thinking a lot about the Avengers game recently, especially looking at this game.
For all the problems Avengers had, it at least gave you characters who felt completely different when playing right?

I doubt there is anything of real substance from 2 years of development, especially with the reported issues Rocksteady had. But, given the trend they were chasing, a shooter does seem likely.

Avengers was a bit of a technical disaster, but it did at least understand the characters should feel unique from each other, the engine just wasn't capable of allowing some of those characters to really let loose, and it was way too much of a grind to get some of those characters leveled and geared to the point that they became really fun to play. Suicide Squad is technically far more competent but held back by the basic approach they take to the gameplay.

I’m personally having a blast on this. Loving the story and the varied traversal for each character. I’ve done 2 bosses so far. Love all the lore and Easter eggs throughout of the DC and Arkhamverse.

My main right now is King Shark. Then after that it’s Harley, Boomerang and Deadshot. I’ve actually barely used Deadshot. Also tried some co-op and that’s been pretty fun.

Yeah, look I enjoyed Avengers for what it was. I will say, I think I'm enjoying the Suicide Squad co-op FAR more than Avengers. Being limited to just the four characters, means the writing and the characterisation is far more on point. It doesn't take long for you to feel immersed in whatever character you're playing. Single player can be fun but I think co-op is where it's at, and you'll get far more out of it with each friend locking in a particular character.

Another big difference I think is the world and environment. In Avengers, the environments felt super disconnected and even the city zones just felt like generic city? Metropolis has that classic DC feel, and you're always flying past little DC easter eggs etc. Hunting for Riddles in co-op is very fun too and I'm glad they're adding more Riddler challenges with each season.

Also, now that I've dug more into each character's skill trees, I feel like I appreciate the differences of each playstyle more and i wouldn't say they're all too similar. So in co-op, I main as Boomerang and I'm basically always using powers. Speedforce teleporting around, throwing boomerangs to freeze guys, zipping into the air then blasting them from above. Whereas Shark really feels like Hulk should've felt in Avengers, you're just bouncing from roof top to ground and smashing with every landing.

Whereas my partner is working on a really cool Deadshot build, where critical hits from the air increase the jetpack length, and then you do more damage while jetpacking, so it's like a cool stay hovering indefinitely type build?

So look, I think the fun and the variety is there. Longevity will remain to be seen but i think it's probably much easier to throw more content at a game that already has an enjoyable gameplay loop, compared to something like Gotham Knights where the combat felt clunky and unsatisfying to begin with?

I finally played the game. It's fun for the first hour or so and then falls off a cliff into mindless, repetitive gameplay and an uneven (and unfinished) story.

I'm glad I played it for Kevin Conroy (who gives an amazing performance) but I won't be coming back to this. Swing and a miss from Rocksteady in my opinion, although it will be interesting to see if they can keep players invested in it over the coming year.

I'd like to think that WB's takeaway from this will be that live service games are actually tricky to pull off and are not a guaranteed easy success, but they'll probably just shift all the blame onto Rocksteady and assign another studio an ill conceived live service project.

I'm just glad the general gaming audience isn't as gullible and stupid as I originally thought they were. Hopefully this **** is finally dying.

Unfortunate, but its not like we didnt call that from day one.
The game just had everything going against it and after The Avengers, WB should have seen it coming.
Why they thought their Brand, especially the SS brand would be strong enough to make a successfull Loot Shooter...is beyond me.

You know what would have not fallen short of expectations? A Arkham Origins Remaster.
Get your stuff together WB.
Listen to the people, let outside developers work on DC IPs and stop being weird...why is that so hard?

I feel sorry for the developers on the game but LAAS needs to die.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for them. They wanted to do a multiplayer game after Knight.

I don't necessarily feel sorry for them. They wanted to do a multiplayer game after Knight.
I dont think its wrong to do Multiplayer games, there is nothing wrong with that.
They have done Single Player since 2006, so i dont blame them for wanting a change.
Of course i prefer Single Player, but a change of pace...i get it.

I feel sorry for them being forced into doing a SS Loot Shooter, that WBs insistence to have a Suicide Squad Loot Shooter, hurt the studios reputation.

LAAS is just one type of multiplayer and the worst iteration of it.

I for one am happy to hear that this game is failing and has fallen short on WB’s expectations

That’s what they get for making a half-assed live service game instead of a solid single player game like the Arkham game were

Let them burn!

All they had to do was make a Batman: Beyond Gotham game. Set 20 years later. An Arkhamverse Batman Beyond story. It was so simple. But they made their choice. Their failure will empower me for years to come.

If this game is basically done or quickly dies out, I have to admit I still had fun playing through the campaign. Whatever happens though now will happen and I’m curious to see how they respond going forward.

It’s quite amazing just how stupid WB execs are

Is this what is considered the Definition of insanity?
Like, they just spent millions and 9 years on a live Service game that might Not survive 6 months.
And their takeaway is, Do more live Service?

Apparently this sold worse than Gotham Knight, and significantly worse than GOTG.

Good luck surviving that.

That does not sound good.
I like the idea of this to be honest.
A Joker from a different earth, that was not the big bad of Batman, but a suicide squad member and all that.
Is a cool idea and the Joker seems fun to play...but this does not sound good at all.

At this point, i feel like the game doesnt get past 3 seasons.

Im saying it again, to get some goodwill from fans...do a Arkham Origins Remaster.
Something has to change at this point.

Marvel literally announced another game in the works, that is now what? 5?
And what do we have? Wonder Woman where we have no clue what to expect.
Get your things in order WB and get a DC game universe going.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"