New Interview with Bill Duke

Mr Lex Luthor said:
Seriously, what are you guys talking about? :p
I was making fun of your new friendship with Nell... I wish I had a friend :(

TNC9852002 said:
Oh, it's nothing :p ...Yeah, I was being a little condescending, but, I will respect your views and opinions as would I like for you to do the same with me.. :D

HAH...Very wishful..

The only thing that I still can't understand, is the logic being why the Sentinels are being deployed in the first place. I mean, obviously there are soldiers right there fighting alongside the X-Men eventually, at least in a few of the photos. Wouldn't there be a huge conflict of interest if they decided to throw some Sentinels in? How would that resolve the conflict and end the war and the film? We already know there's a happy ending and this Sentinel thing is just not working for me...There's too much more to this finale for me to believe that they can fit more expensive, and seemingly non-integral plot devices such as Sentinels just because it could be done.

-TNC

I'm still not convinced that the soldiers are fighting with the X-Men.

And I look at it like this; even if they are, or if they aren't, look at the destruction caused by the Brotherhood. And the X-Men aren't going to be all strawberries and icecream either. Storm is gonna be summoning tidal waves for crying out loud! Plus, the X-Men will be going after Leech, presumably, who if the government is at all involved with this cure, might want to keep their hands on...

The President will see the destruction caused in San Francisco. He will see that too many lives are at stake. He will see that the military, fighting with or against the X-Men isn't effective enough. And he will see (with help from Trask, of course) that the only way to stop these mutants, and to stop the destruction and the risk of probably hundreds of lives, is to eliminate the mutants causing the destruction. The Sentinels are designed to stop rogue mutants. So they are sent into an area where mutant activity is high. And it will not hold prejudice over which mutants are okay, and which aren't. And the President will see the X-Men as "expendable" to save the lives of his citizens, and stop the destruction of not one, but 2 historical landmarks (Alcatraz is a landmark, even if it has been turned into a military complex in the movie).

That's how I see it. And that mutants will have been put into production soon after X2, after the Cerebro incident. Even if McKenna wasn't going to make them active after the "conference" with Xavier, they were probably still built, and put on "standby", just in case. And now Trask, who headed the project, is now in a position to push his agenda on the President, who is vulnerable to the situation with all the recent mutant activity, and since this is a new President, might not be up to speed on whatever it was that Xavier and McKenna talked about. He probably wouldn't even know that Xavier and McKenna ever talked... and it was probably McKenna's positive outlook towards mutants after the Cerebro incident that didn't get him re-elected, and put this new President in office.

JustABill said:
You gots me. I consider you my friend, oh friend of Ben.
Mhmm.. and you're kinda hot :up: Cool.

Ya know Nell,...that thing you mentioned about the build-up for the Sentinels and the relationship between Beast and Trask being at the center of their appearance later on in the film...Yeah, it could work, but I'm just running out of room to think for why this should be so important unless they'd be considered a pivotal aspect of the film? If that's the case, then what's with the point of a movie, where storytelling is paramount, of them putting in a Sentinel in Xavier's Danger Room and then again at the end? If a connection needs to be made, so be it. That could work...that is, if only they were important enough to the story..

Anyone remember The Incredibles where Mr. Incredible faced a robot early on the film, created by Syndrome? The tactics he used to defeat it eventually became the only strength in remembering how to defeat an even larger and dangerous version of the same robot later on in the film's climax. There are differences between that film and this film that should be noted. One in particular is that in The Incredibles, there were only 6 main characters, in comparison to X3's 14. The differences were small, but they DO add up.

-TNC

Ohhh. I like the Incredibles.. I have to buy that on DVD someday. Hee.

It's interesting how deep the Sentinels were originally going to be as part of an early X2 script:

Zak, regarding X2, can you tell us how it was planned to bring Sentinels into the storyline? We've seen the design concept, we know there wasn't the budget to animate them, but how would they have been brought into the story? Was the storyline very different at the time they were mooted? Can you tell us what the general storyline of X2 was when Sentinels were included?

*** The storyline was the same, except for the fact that instead of soldiers storming the house, it was prototype sentinels (their first mission.) The third act was in the same location, but Stryker was stealing Cerebro to download the list of all mutants into the Sentinels. (There was no cerebro-weapon thingy) One scene I was particularly into that got cut was, after Stryker activated the Sentinels, their program decided that the only way to really stop the mutant threat was for them to kill all mutants AND all carriers of the mutant gene. Stryker got stuck in a room with one of his own creations, it scanned him and then (because his son was a mutant) killed him.

The finale had Jean pushing the X-Men out and sealing herself in the base and then destorying all ten thousand sentinels in the base in a fiery Phoenix explosion.

Obviously, once they decided to cut the Sentinels, all that had to go.
So, instead of a Dark Cerebro plot, it was going to be a Sentinel plot...

Now, I wonder why they felt that the Sentinels needed such presence, screen time, and development in one movie? ;) :D I guess they were a huge part of the story, ya know...Unlike X3.. ;)

-TNC

Damn, now I wish it was put in X2. :o

New:
Q. You say Sentinels aren't a big part of the movie but could you please tell us - will they feature in more than one scene/setting? Will they also actually be referred to as Sentinels and will they be linked to Trask??

*Can’t talk too much about this. But I just don’t want you guys to be expecting a movie full of robots. They are not a big part of the film.

Another cleverly vague answer by Kinberg..

-TNC

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"