Superman Returns New interview with Singer and Routh... 'Casting Superman'

It would be interesting to see some casting auditions thrown on the DVD when its released like they did on Superman the Movie in those documentaries. I would like to have seen some other auditions for Superman besides Reeve as well.

Showtime029 said:
I have to travel and I work my ass of everyday, I don't let headaches stop me. If somebody else said they have a headache or migraine and they couldn't make it, I don't think it's a sign of weakness.

Wow, how convienient that your own personal views support your position of defending BR. When it's crunch time at your work with a big meeting, or important presentation, you call in sick due to headache.

Let me know how that works out for you.

Showtime029 said:
I am shocked you are coming at me like a Oldguy in a three piece suit, if that's your choice we can go with it.

You always take a differing of opinion as a personal attack? Oh wait, your a lifer on SHH, of course you do.

Oldguy said:
Wow, how convienient that your own personal views support your position of defending BR. When it's crunch time at your work with a big meeting, or important presentation, you call in sick due to headache.

Let me know how that works out for you.

You always take a differing of opinion as a personal attack? Oh wait, your a lifer on SHH, of course you do.

When it's crunch time at work I can't call in sick, because I run my own company. I am at the forefront, and YOU'RE RIGHT, it would look bad.

If one of my employees called in and said they were sick I wouldn't tell them they were a puss and fire them. How does that make sense?

If somebody is coming in for an interview and they can't make it, sick or otherwise, I give them one more chance.

He went to the interview, so we can't rewrite history to fit your OLDGUY GOSPEL anyway.

Oldguy said:

Actually, if you read my post, my personal view involves me SHOWING UP WITH THE HEADACHE. I can't change other peoples views if they have a headache?

Hey, Oldguy, your opinion is respected as well as your lack of humor. This thread isn't about your opnion of Routh looking like a pear, it should be your opnion of what you thought about the interview that was posted. And Showtime, I guess we just need to let this guy get whatever he needs to off his chest. I'm not here to back you up because I'm a member of GAM and you PM'ed me. I'm not even a member of GAM. I just think Oldguy is't following by his own statements. If you don't agree with his opnion there is no way to work around it, from what I've seen. I've tried a few times to get this thread back on topic to avoid any more arguments, but the Old Man won't let that be. Everyone has their opnions, nothing wrong with that, but lets try to be respectful of other peoples opinions as you are preaching but failing to live by.

For whatever reason he has targeted me. He must not like this whole GAM thing. All I did was disagree that Routh was a "puss" for "almost" not going to the meeting and he lashes out at me for loving Routh and defending Routh. He has an agenda with me because of GAM.

Mr. Thing said:
In all fairness Oldguy, that's all to with(wow, the "o" word yet again) opinion.

I mean, some people can see Superman in people, while others think differently. Like Dean Cain for example, I mean, some people have him listed as the definitive Superman, while I think it's a load of tosh. Jesus, I've turned posh.

Opinions are only as valid as the facts they are based upon.

GR was the definitive Superman of his era because he captured the essence of patriarch that is Superman. He's not Jesus, BTW, he's your Dad. Don't let the christians fool you, they try to take credit for everything, like christmas and easter, both peagan holidays origionally, celebrating winter and spring solstice respectively. That and it was a pioneering new show on TV in its infancy.

CR was the definitive Superman of his era because of his uncanny resemblance, and his exceptional performance in the dual role of Superman/CK. He convinced us a man could fly while acting in his flying rig, and Donner, and crew pioneered new flying effects that were so remarkable in '78 that they created a new Oscar catagory to honour them.

Dean Cain was the definitive Superman of his era because...he was the star of the show on TV? Was it because he wore the costume and the WB said he was Superman? Was it because it was what was on TV at the time?

See where I'm going with this line of thought? Although opinions are not entirely right or wrong, they are certainly not equal. Some have more merit than others.

Showtime029 said:
When it's crunch time at work I can't call in sick, because I run my own company. I am at the forefront, and YOU'RE RIGHT, it would look bad.

If one of my employees called in and said they were sick I wouldn't tell them they were a puss and fire them. How does that make sense?

If somebody is coming in for an interview and they can't make it, sick or otherwise, I give them one more chance.

He went to the interview, so we can't rewrite history to fit your OLDGUY GOSPEL anyway.

You can't fire an employee for being sick. Grab a clue.

Yay, you are eager to hire people who buckle under some personal discomfort. I bet your accountant is ecstatic about that.

My wifey thinks Routh is a wimp after reading this article. She also thinks Routh looks ok, as Superboy. She doean't see a Man. Is she entitled to her opinion, or does she just like to complain?

Ya he went to the interview, after his agent told him to cowboy the **** up and go.

Does anyone know about how many people actually got to audition for the man of steel?

Metropolis_Man said:
Does anyone know about how many people actually got to audition for the man of steel?

For Singer only or in the total Ratner/Mcg/Singer 3 year span?

Showtime029 said:
For whatever reason he has targeted me...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis_Man
You know what I realized, you're actually like a literal old guy. Too afraid to accept any kind of change.

Showtime029 said:

Hmm I wonder whatever reason that could be?

Oldguy said:
Well to Whack it wasn't the relevence of the article, rather Routh's admitted unprofessionalism was. Yet here you are, posting away on this thread, attempting damage control, reminding us what is and isn't relevant.

To top it off, you then insinuate that these unflattering posts are causing you bodily harm. If you are truly as "unbiased" as you claim, why did you post here at all, other than to quash dissention with the awe and might of your unified conformity group, GAM.

What's the point of GAM? You guys PM one an other when you need some back up in an arguement? Should I be expecting more of you?

You know what's funny, Whack and I were having some fun in the post. Why are you sticking your neck out to defend him, when he wasn't even offended. Go back to page 3 and read a little bit. We were having some fun. This thing they call fun, that is what made me say I was getting a headache.

If it's GAM that bothers you then that's fine and if you want to come at me because you think I am some kind of leader thats fine too. I don't see any "GAM MEMBERS" jumping to my defense? Where are they? Where are these posters you are calling comformists?

If you think back for a moment, and stop trying to only look at my posts that half-heartedly back your argument, you will remember we have discussed the movie before.

If you can remember, we discussed the following:

1) I agreed on your origin theory, or re-origin, and alot of it was being
rehashed.
2) I was aggrevated with aspects of the suit; belt, no logo on cape...
3) I emphasized that I didn't like some of the choices that were being
made by Singer.

Now you are arguing with me about differing views on what should one do when faced with a headache? Come on man.

Oldguy said:
skruloos, you must really let me have a go at your alternate reality time machine. Seems like a lot more fun than reality, I guess that's why you spend so much time there.
Don't be absurd. You don't need a machine to understand that people have differing opinions about things. There are things that different people simply will not accept changes for. If Singer had done a complete reboot, there'd be people complaining that it was trying to be "better" than the Reeve's films by redoing the origin. If Singer had chosen to not use the Williams' theme at all, people would have complained that such a distinct tune was not used. The same thing happened when it was announced that Nolan wouldn't use Elfman's Batman theme. There WERE people who didn't accept Reeve's Superman because he didn't act like George Reeves' Superman and they complained about it.

You simply can't function under the assumption that everyone would accept an entirely new characterization by Routh universally. There will always be complainers.

I think it's time all of you stop with this discussion... just a suggestion...

...on the other hand if you guys want to kill yourselves using medieval weapons I'll let you. I will just watch while I eat this popcorn and drink this beer...:o

Oldguy said:
You can't fire an employee for being sick. Grab a clue.

Yay, you are eager to hire people who buckle under some personal discomfort. I bet your accountant is exstatic about that.

My wifey thinks Routh is a wimp after reading this article. She also thinks Routh looks ok, as Superboy. She doean't see a Man. Is she entitled to her opinion, or does she just like to complain?

Ya he went to the interview, after his agent told him to cowboy the **** up and go.

My company is quite lucrative and the hires I have made have gotten me where I am today. You don't know what you're talking about.

I see, your wifes opinion is gospel just like yours, and all the rest of our opinions don't count. Very nice.

Oldguy said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis_Man
You know what I realized, you're actually like a literal old guy. Too afraid to accept any kind of change.

Hmm I wonder whatever reason that could be?

I laughed and put up a shocked face? The wrath of Old Guy knows no boundries.

Alonsovich said:
For Singer only or in the total Ratner/Mcg/Singer 3 year span?

Thanks for trying to help me switch the subject around. I've posted 3 or 4 things to try to get this topic away from the arguments, but anyways...

I guess in total. Singer/Ratner/McG I know they tried for Brendan Frasier, Josh Hartnett, and theres a few others I can't really remember right now, but who were some of the main, sort of unknowns that actually got to go in a read a few lines of the script.

Metropolis_Man said:
Thanks for trying to help me switch the subject around. I've posted 3 or 4 things to try to get this topic away from the arguments, but anyways...

I guess in total. Singer/Ratner/McG I know they tried for Brendan Frasier, Josh Hartnett, and theres a few others I can't really remember right now, but who were some of the main, sort of unknowns that actually got to go in a read a few lines of the script.

You're welcome. As far as I remember these auditioned:

Brendan Fraser, Josh Hartnett, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer, Victor Webster, Ashton Kutcher, Henry Cavill, Jason Behr, Brandon Routh (Brandon and Cavill were the only ones to get a second audition), Jake Gyllenhaal, Jared Padalecki and Mike Vogel. Hayden Christensen was scheduled to audition but dropped.

I'm sure there are many more though.

Alonsovich said:
You're welcome. As far as I remember these auditioned:

Brendan Fraser, Josh Hartnett, Paul Walker, Matthew Bomer, Victor Webster, Ashton Kutcher, Henry Cavill, Jason Behr, Brandon Routh (Brandon and Cavill were the only ones to get a second audition), Jake Gyllenhaal, Jared Padalecki and Mike Vogel. Hayden Christensen was scheduled to audition but dropped.

I'm sure there are many more though.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Kutcher and I didn't even know about Hayden Christensen being up for the role. And yeah, there probably were tons more that tried out. I remember being pretty shocked about Kutcher going for it, nothing against him, but I didn't picture him as Superman in anyway.

skruloos said:
...You simply can't function under the assumption that everyone would accept an entirely new characterization by Routh universally. There will always be complainers.

Thats not the point, big surprise you missed it. Yes, you can't please all of the people all of the time,(see how easy I simplify the words you fail to conyey? silly skruloos, one day you'll learn simplification, not complication is the way.)

What you so pathetically attempt to infer, with your comment
skruloos said:
People just like to complain.
is that all complaints (about BR as Superman) are invalid. Nice tactic, especially the part where you support your theory with your (patent-pending) alternate-verse omniscientonicron, telling us what would have happened because you just know it to be true. Too bad I'm not 15 years old, or it might have worked.

Man I've been gone all these months and I can still make you look stupid. Nice to see somethings havent changed.

skruloos said:
There WERE people who didn't accept Reeve's Superman because he didn't act like George Reeves' Superman and they complained about it.

Prove it. Link some proof that there was any discernable division between fans over CR's portralyal of Superman in '78.

Metropolis_Man said:
Oh yeah, I completely forgot about Kutcher and I didn't even know about Hayden Christensen being up for the role. And yeah, there probably were tons more that tried out. I remember being pretty shocked about Kutcher going for it, nothing against him, but I didn't picture him as Superman in anyway.

Call me crazy, but given the case I don't think he would've been bad at all in the role. The guy at least has the height to pull it off. Some of the others were also good choices, especially Bomer and Cavill.

Alonsovich said:
Call me crazy, but given the case I don't think he would've been bad at all in the role. The guy at least has the height to pull it off. Some of the others were also good choices, especially Bomer and Cavill.

Oh really? You're right about the height, he definatly has that to pull it off. Yeah, Bomer and Cavill were probably my next choices if Brandon wouldn't have gotten it. As far as appearance, I think that guy from the very first Joe Millionaire show looked a lot like Superman. I just don't know if his acting skills were up to par or not.

Oldguy said:
What you so pathetically attempt to infer, with your comment is that all complaints (about BR as Superman) are invalid. Nice tactic, especially the part where you support your theory with your (patent-pending) alternate-verse omniscientonicron, telling us what would have happened because you just know it to be true. Too bad I'm not 15 years old, or it might have worked.
No. I was merely using an example of a flipside and using a universal truth. People will complain. A lot of times, people like to complain simply because they like to vent.

Oldguy said:
Man I've been gone all these months and I can still make you look stupid. Nice to see somethings havent changed.
Ah, so now you've come into possession of an alternate reality machine?

Oldguy said:
Prove it. Link some proof that there was any discernable division between fans over CR's portralyal of Superman in '78.
Like what? Personal recollections of people who prefer George Reeves' character over Reeve? I supposse you could ask Robocop. He's quite open about his preference.

Or can you provide proof that Reeve won every George Reeves fan over and prefer his Superman to GR's? Are you really implying that 100% of audience members were accepting of Reeve? That's a bit hard to swallow.

Showtime029 said:
My company is quite lucrative and the hires I have made have gotten me where I am today. You don't know what you're talking about.

I see, your wifes opinion is gospel just like yours, and all the rest of our opinions don't count. Very nice.

When did I say mine was gospel? I just stated it, and the basis for it. If that is too intimidating for you, don't respond to my posts. I'm not mean, you're just too sensitive.

Don't hate on me because you have no basis for your affection for BR other than you like him because WB execs authorized Singer to give him the job, after they rejected Singer's first choice.

Oh wait, in the face of solidarity and to appear faithful in the lead actor, this comprimise never actually happened anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"