New Live Action Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Movie In The Works? - Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know one good reason alien turtles is a huge improvement over mutant turtles.

Realism!

But like most changes Bay makes this change is completely arbitrary and further proof he's just a greedy opportunist out of touch with the fanbase and source material.

This is the same guy that initially dismissed Transformers as a 'stupid toy movie' but presumably soldiered on once he realized what kind of paycheck he could get. And people are trying to convince themselves he didn't sneer at the idea of TMNT as well? Please.

I really hope Casey Jones shows up. Him and Ralph were always my favorites.

I don't think it's realistic that aliens would invade earth just to live in the sewer, eat pizza and fight ninjas.

At least them being mutants makes a sense from a "teeangers are mutations from a cultural wasteland" standpoint. Aliens doesn't really add anything to the concept, in fact it takes away. They should be throwaway bi-products of urban decay and waste, physically and socially.

I think what most people's concern is that there are already more than enough alien-based characters and stories in the TMNT canon as is. ****, other dimensions, time travel with Renet and Lord Simultaneous, the list goes on and on. The thing is that in these adventures, the turtles are supposed to be the most normal guys there, looking at this **** in disbelief.

I don't think it's realistic that aliens would invade earth just to live in the sewer, eat pizza and fight ninjas.

At least them being mutants makes a sense from a "teeangers are mutations from a cultural wasteland" standpoint. Aliens doesn't really add anything to the concept, in fact it takes away. They should be throwaway bi-products of urban decay and waste, physically and socially.

Should I have added the sarcastic smiley? I wasn't serious in any event. But I was pointing more towards the rather silly claims that audiences will happily swallow alien turtle ninjas but not mutations born of radioactive ooze.

Audiences will accept anything.

Transformers 2 proved that.

Does that mean Hollywood should continue to cheat the public with lazy and weak ideas?

No.

Audiences will accept anything.

Transformers 2 proved that.

Does that mean Hollywood should continue to cheat the public with lazy and weak ideas?

No.

Sign a petition or something or stop watching movies if you hate feeling like a "sucker".

I gotta say I'm more surprised that this change is even polarizing and that people r even defending Michael Bay at all, let alone with as much passion as the other side of the argument. Then again I'm not a fan of Bay in general so its not like I'm expecting a masterpiece. The guy ain't Chris Nolan so I can't really get worked up if he gets slammed. Whether or not the change will lead to good storytelling of not remains to b seen.

Sign a petition or something or stop watching movies if you hate feeling like a "sucker".

Yes, much better to just roll over and accept whatever gets dished out rather than strive for better quality.

That's how we end up with fine programming like Jersey Shore and films like Jack & Jill.

No, the people who support bad ideas are the suckers, not people who point out the bad ideas. :whatever:

and why should I stop watching all movies? :huh:

Not all movies cheat the audience.

I dunno, at the end of the day the transformers movie was about robots that turned into vehicles. They came from another planet and were at war with the decepticons. I'm admittedly not a transformers fan, but the general idea was there. Regardless of the changes he made.

With TMNT, making them aliens is completely different and also takes away their uniqueness. Especially considering mutant is in the name. But TMNT also hasnt been popular since they late 80's early 90's. Even though I don't agree, I'm not the one making the movie.

I gotta say I'm more surprised that this change is even polarizing and that people r even defending Michael Bay at all, let alone with as much passion as the other side of the argument. Then again I'm not a fan of Bay in general so its not like I'm expecting a masterpiece. The guy ain't Chris Nolan so I can't really get worked up if he gets slammed. Whether or not the change will lead to good storytelling of not remains to b seen.

I am not really defending Bay. This alien idea isn't just Bay's. I am agree that people should relax and see how it plays out....but this is what we fanboys do. We get worked over things we haven't seen. My mom used to say don't knock it til you try it...and while the idea of alien turtles may seem stupid we don't know how its being handled.
Back in 1988 a petition was going around comic book shops to stop WB from making Batman...the reason is because comedian Michael Keaton was cast as Bruce Wayne.
I am a fan of cinema. I'd like to believe the art form is so broad that we can have mindless action flicks next to thought provoking Sci-fi, raunchy comedies next to tear jerking dramas, movies that up lift and movies that break down.
So continue with the Bay bashing and the tearing down of the story that no one really knows...bring on more cries of childhoods being raped and strip mined.

Me:I am gonna take a wait and see attitude...see the movie and if I have a reason to complain...at least it will be based on cold hard facts and not mere speculation.

I dunno, at the end of the day the transformers movie was about robots that turned into vehicles. They came from another planet and were at war with the decepticons. I'm admittedly not a transformers fan, but the general idea was there. Regardless of the changes he made.

With TMNT, making them aliens is completely different and also takes away their uniqueness. Especially considering mutant is in the name. But TMNT also hasnt been popular since they late 80's early 90's. Even though I don't agree, I'm not the one making the movie.

No he butchered Transformers too.

It's like saying it's worse to make Transformers mutants than to take the charisma away from the ninja turtles, the TMNT movie being a recruitment advertisement for the police who are shown doing much of the fighting against the Shredder, and most of the TMNT characters looking completely unrecognizable.

I am not really defending Bay. This alien idea isn't just Bay's. I am agree that people should relax and see how it plays out....but this is what we fanboys do. We get worked over things we haven't seen. My mom used to say don't knock it til you try it...and while the idea of alien turtles may seem stupid we don't know how its being handled.
Back in 1988 a petition was going around comic book shops to stop WB from making Batman...the reason is because comedian Michael Keaton was cast as Bruce Wayne.
I am a fan of cinema. I'd like to believe the art form is so broad that we can have mindless action flicks next to thought provoking Sci-fi, raunchy comedies next to tear jerking dramas, movies that up lift and movies that break down.
So continue with the Bay bashing and the tearing down of the story that no one really knows...bring on more cries of childhoods being raped and strip mined.

Me:I am gonna take a wait and see attitude...see the movie and if I have a reason to complain...at least it will be based on cold hard facts and not mere speculation.
99% of time you defend Bay.

He could put the Ninja Turtles in dresses and make them fart constantly and you'd defend it.

99% of time you defend Bay.

He could put the Ninja Turtles in dresses and make them fart constantly and you'd defend it.

I say its more 55%...i mostly bash Bendis here:woot:

I became a fan of the TMNT through the comics. The cartoon and movies are a disappointment to me. The turtles will forever be known by Cowabunga and pizza and surfer dude-ness. The turtles that I was a fan of I know I will never see again.
They have been changed before...whats one more change?

Every comic movie changes the origin....so why is this the final straw???
Peter Parker wasn't bitten by a radioactive spider.
Ras' Al Ghul never trained Bruce in Ninjitsu.
Thor wasn't just cast to earth he was also placed in the body of a doctor.
Hydra wasn't a division of the Nazis.

Here's my 2 cents:

It's really inconceivable and contemptible what they're doing to the Turtles. I mean how is it so hard to remake the origin story and make it relateable to fans young and old? They've done it in the comics, cartoons, and early movies. It works on it's own. The only ALIEN thing about the Turtles should be that the ooze came from the Utroms and if Krang is to be in the new film that he, power-hungry, wants to mutate all of Earth into monsters or various beasts. With the help of The Shredder and the Foot Clan, they test their mutagen on Bebop and Rocksteady and their gang. Now, a rhino and warthog, the two along with their gang (whatever animals one wants to change them into) wreak havoc across New York and it's up to the TMNT to stop them.

How hard was that to write something so incredibly easy? It might become a little convoluted with too many villains crammed into it, but if Nolan has made it work, why can't the Turtles?

I do have a bias (not because my screenname on here is NinjaTurtleFan) but also because I feel Bay and his Platinum Dunes crew are like the younger brother who wants to play with your shiny, brand new toy and then they steal it from you and wreck it, like you knew they would in the first place. Whether from the horror remakes he and his team ruined or the Transformers which don't make a pantry load of sense and just seem like some guy obssessed with getting an orgasm after the next big thrill or explosion.

I also fear what he'll do to each character, their weapons, and personalities. I shun the new Nickelodeon property just because of its piss poor animation and for what they've done to April and the weapons (did every Turtle need a blade? Seems excessive to me.)

Yeah, Laird and Eastman don't really have a hand in their property anymore... more of a producer credit, but it just seems like they're falling to their knees at the warlord Bay.

I've only said this once or twice with a movie that's not even in production or after a trailer or pic is snapped or comes online but I hope this movie tanks for the sole reason of changing the Turtles into aliens.

Would anyone go see an X-Men film if they weren't mutants? No because it doesn't make sense. They have an "x-gene"; they're evolved. The Turtles have evolved from ooze. How can you screw that up or make it into something it isn't?
This. It's really ridiculous to think they can't write whatever they thought of while keeping the Turtles true origin in tact. Im sure most of us on here could write an outline incorporating Krang and keeping the turtles origin in tact. Here I'll do it right now:

Krang created the ooze, ooze somehow escapes dimension X, container crashes and leaks into a sewer, ta daaaa!

There is no valid reason what so ever that the Turtles need or should be aliens.

I say its more 55%...i mostly bash Bendis here:woot:

I became a fan of the TMNT through the comics. The cartoon and movies are a disappointment to me. The turtles will forever be known by Cowabunga and pizza and surfer dude-ness. The turtles that I was a fan of I know I will never see again.
They have been changed before...whats one more change?

Because those changes are minimal and don't change the essence of the characters. It's like taking the "Spider" out of Spider-Man, The "Bat" out of Batman,etc. You're taking them being mutants out, and them being turtles out (you could argue that they could come from a planet of turtles but they would still be known as Aliens).

You're examples are like comparing them turning splinter from a Rat in the comics to being Hamato Yoshi himself in the cartoon or from April being Baxter Stockmans assistant to a news reporter, those aren't as drastic as this.

Last edited:
On the other hand people said this very same thing early in Green Lanterns production. That worked out real well.

not everyone hated Green Lantern
complaining on the internet would have changed what?????

Green Lantern's origin was faithful to the comics so there wasn't anything we needed to see how they handled it

Those changes didn't alter the identity or subtext of the main character (Thor was based on the wildly accepted Ultimates version).

Those changes didn't alter the identity or subtext of the main character (Thor was based on the wildly accepted Ultimates version).

and since we haven't seen this movie or read the script we don't know how or if the identity or subtext of the characters are altered

Yes, much better to just roll over and accept whatever gets dished out rather than strive for better quality.

That's how we end up with fine programming like Jersey Shore and films like Jack & Jill.

Yes, striving for change on a message board will bring change.

And if no one utters a peep of concern you just might find yourself with a TMNT movie that's near unrecognizable, and far too late to do anything about it.

At least this way the studio has been given good indication that there is a fanbase out there for this property and any changes shouldn't be taken lightly.

Now I'm not condoning the ridiculous 'raped my childhood' comments but to sit there and suggest that everyone should simply roll over and wait to see if the filmmakers trash this film without voicing their concerns is plain foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Holopaxume
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"