New LL Interview-Translated Into English From French

Sarg92

Ouch!
Reaction score
The Incredible Hulk : Interview/preview from Louis Leterrier.

When we last talked, you mentioned your dream of directing a major science fiction movie. Do you consider your dream achieved now that you’re directing Hulk 2?

Overachieved. I truly realize the great opportunity I have been given. In the actual state of pre-production, I can make the movie I really want.

How is it going between you, Marvel and Avi Arad?

Marvelously. And what’s extraordinary about Marvel, and more since they became independent, is that they are motivated people who want to make a good movie and are always looking for ideas to make it better. That’s the reason Ang Lee and Eric Bana were in the first movie. They are not the kind of people that obviously come to mind for making a production like this but are genuine artists that could elevate Hulk to something more than just a simple action film and, in my opinion, achieved it. Marvel gave them creative freedom, like they did with Sam Raimi on Spider-Man when hiring Tobey Maguire. Don't get me wrong, I would never compare myself to theses guys, that would be out of place, but now I better understand the pleasure they had making these movies the way they wanted.

Have you already selected your actors?

I have some ideas. I can tell you that they are not people you expect to see in these kinds of movies. Marvel and I agree on this and they consider that the movie doesn’t need an action hero like Bruce Willis or Tom Cruise.

What can you tell us about the story?

In fact, it’s the story that convinced me. The first time they contacted me, I was very hesitant. They came back because they loved Unleashed. We met and they told me about the story. I must admit, it took me 30 minutes to say yes. As a moviegoers and a fan of the character, they were handing me something I always dreamed to see on the big screen. It won’t be a sequel to Ang Lee’s film but it won’t be a remake or a re-imagining either. It will be a new adventure with different characters, new intrigue, new monsters. We will quickly get to the heart of the story because I think people know the character and I don’t want to shoot 45 minutes to get to the first Hulk-out or about the reasons that make him a monster. The first movie had a lot of Bruce Banner’s story and a little of Hulk’s. This one will be 50/50.

Rumor has it that you convinced everybody when you showed storyboards of two completely wild scenes that didn’t have anything to do with the original script. Is it true?

It’s Stéphane Levallois who works with me on the artistic direction of the film. Stéphane is an exceptional artist, rare and complete, and this movie needs his eye. As you must expect, I won’t tell you what those scenes are about but if I manage to put them on screen the way I imagined them, they’re going to be quite good. Avi Arad’s reaction was what I hoped for. He and his partners had never seen something like that in a movie and naturally wanted to have it in their own (laughs). And then we come back to the creative freedom we have been given; they changed the script to put those scenes in.

Lastly, what can we expect of the character’s design? Will you use the same as the previous movie?

No, he will be truly different. It’s in Stéphane Levallois’ hands. If you only take the face, it needs to be redesigned for the SFX , on one hand, but also because the first Hulk had a lot of Eric Bana. And if we’re going to have a different actor for Banner, the Hulk must also be different. Also, I don’t want to have a 45 feet tall Hulk that gets bigger when he gets madder. I don’t want to make Godzilla. This Hulk will be 9 feet tall and his height won’t change. I see this character as a tortured soul, prisoner of his superpowers and always on the run by fear of hurting others. If I need to state any references, I’d say mostly Jeckyl and Hyde, Frankenstein and even Edward Scissorhands.

Editor’s note : Obviously, Louis kindly gave us the scoop on some new infos regarding the script and the special effects. But we can’t talk about it right now. We’ll get back to it in time…

OK... That is quite interesting and scary to read! LOL! If this is true the last statement in green would be the most important... Edward with the money in hands, ROFL!!! Edward Scissorhands, which makes sense! Sounds like he DEFINITELY has the right direction and I'm encouraged by this article!

Thanks!

Unleashed is underrated.

and the Incredible Hulk is going to surprise alot of skeptics and naysayers.

Can't wait for the superbowl trailer. It's going to bring down the house.

That all sounds very encouraging, I used to be a bit worried about LL directing, but the more i hear from him, the more encouraged i become. Zak Penn is my only gripe with this movie now.

Well it looks like the Hulk will be 9ft tall. Which is too big, but at least he will not be 15 ft or grow larger as he gets madder.

You achieved your goal by obtaining the reindeers of Hulk 2?

Hulk reindeers?!! Oh boy. And you thought Hulk DOGS were bad!:oldrazz:

The rumour says that you would have definitively convinced everyone by proposing the story-boards of two lunatic scenes of action which had nothing to do with the script of origin. What happenhappen does?
It is Stephan Levallois who works with me on the artistic direction of film. Stephan is an exceptional, rare and complete artist, and this film needs its eye. Obviously I will not say to you what it turns over from there, if it is only if I am able to do them as I imagine them, these scenes are likely to be not badly. The reaction of Avi Arad was that which I hoped for. He and his/her collaborators had not never seen that in a film and naturally wanted that that is in theirs (laughter). And there one returns from there to freedoms which are granted to us on this large production since we could modify the scenario according to the scenes of action about which I spoke to them.

This is what REALLY has me excited! Two lunatic scenes of action. Two crazy action scenes! Never seen in a film before! I can't wait to see what these might be like! IF ONLY he can do them as he imagines them! Hopefully they will be awesome!

Sarg, would it be possible to post the original interview in French?

Ca serait plus facile pour moi. Merci d'avance.

And the Hulk will be 3 meters tall which is around the 9ft9inches.

Yeah, I translated the interview with Google Translator so there will be mistakes in the translation such as the reindeer snippet.

There is a better translation at Hulkmovie.com, check it out!

You're welcome mon ami.
BTW, could we link the first pic (hulk vs Abomination, with choppers in the background) to the one of the actions scenes Louis is referring to?
(we'd a have a hint if we can find out who actually draw this.... Stephan Levallois ????)

to Sarg92: Google translator is the most amusing tool on a boring friday afternoon, when trying to find out what was the original saying with the translation (I'm french btw) ;), it's a mix of laugh and pain...
thanks for digging that out anyway

The explosive, action-packed adventure in one of the all-time most popular superhero sagas unfolds with a cure in reach for the world's most primal force of fury: THE INCREDIBLE HULK. We find scientist Bruce Banner (Edward Norton) living in shadows, scouring the planet for an antidote. But the warmongers who dream of abusing his powers won't leave him alone, nor will his need to be with the only woman he has ever loved, Betty Ross (Liv Tyler).

Upon returning to civilization, our brilliant doctor is ruthlessly pursued by The Abomination (Tim Roth) -- a nightmarish beast of pure adrenaline and aggression whose powers match The Hulk's own. A fight of comic-book proportions ensues as Banner must call upon the hero within to rescue New York City from total destruction.
from potential synopsis.

one thing I really like about the direction of the movie, is rather than be an all encompassing verison of the hulk, this movie sounds more and more episodic, like just a window into the world and mythology of the character. much like a single issue of a comic series.

good interview... i guess.

just gave me a headache reading it LOL.

Good find Sarg:up:

Sarg, would it be possible to post the original interview in French?

Ca serait plus facile pour moi. Merci d'avance.

And the Hulk will be 3 meters tall which is around the 9ft9inches.

thanks:yay: i was wondering how that translated to feet,that's a good size for Hulk IMO

hmmmm... Honestly... I didn't think the Ang Lee one was BAD... not GREAT... but not THAT BAD.

Will i see the new one? DEF... but am i hyped about it? Not at all.

That could be me, not being a fan of the comic tho. DOn't get me wrong. I'm on the Marvel side and only feel bad for BATMAN whos on the evil... ahem... DC side.

i'm not a big fan, so don't get me wrong, but i thought he grew when he got mad? I know there comes a point in anger where he'll change to Grey hulk and grow...

and i'm lookin forward to Ed "with money in the hands" to play Bruce.

Great synopsis! 9 feet...perfecto! I love the idea of Banner being away from the real world for a time, probably living in some remote village or in the wilderness before he returns.

How do you guys feel about this being centered in NY?

I've always pictured Hulk as a west coast/mid-western region kinda hero myself...pus the F4, Spidey, Daredevil and co are there to watch over NY..but whatever! :D

I had a hard time making out some of what he was saying because of, i guess, the language thing but when he was talking about the two action scenes in the film, was he saying there would ONLY be two action scenes? Or that he proposed two that weren't in the script?

LL proposed two "lunatic" scenes of action which had nothing to do with the script, the producers (Arard and co) loved them and said they could only be in a Hulk movie so they changed the script to fit in those scenes.

I can't wait!

LL proposed two "lunatic" scenes of action which had nothing to do with the script, the producers (Arard and co) loved them and said they could only be in a Hulk movie so they changed the script to fit in those scenes.

I can't wait!
:woot: :up: :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"