The New New Avengers

Wierd isn't it? I think it's just more proof that Bendis is pretty good while sticking to more street level stories... which New Avengers is pretty close to. Avengers is just far beyond that and it lacks. The New Avengers have faced threats or situations of late beyond street level but the characters for the most part are pretty down to earth, making it a noticably better team uner Bendis's pen.

*comment*
"Don't remember Superia being that strong."

You think she might have been playing with herself? (no OBVIOUS crude pun intended)

I like how Luke is about the only hero who frequently has his particular brand of invulnerability referred to by himself or people around him. It's a unique one, sure. But its treated like unbreakable skin actually does make him invulnerable - are his bones unbreakable? Are his organs invulnerable? Are his eyes? Or should the sheer shock often exerted on his skin still cause a cracked rib if the wrecking crew smash a truck into his side? Or if he gets a bazooka in the face, should he not be blinded?

I know he's Bendis' pet fave. But just go and make Luke a superstrong, near invulnerable bloke - the process he went through and the links to Project:Rebirth are about the only things truly interesting about his powers and source.

Last edited:
Bendis is saying at C2E2 that both Avengers and New Avengers are getting roster changes.

^Agreed. Any word on when, and what kinds of new members? I'm assuming it'll be after Fear Itself.

Rest assured....when the dust settles, Wolverine and Spidey will still be there. :(

Man, something that is really getting under my skin on Avengers lately is the roster changes. Every year it's new roster split between two to three teams... and usually it's just a reshuffling of who's already there plus maybe adding 2 new characters. I just wish they'd stick with a lineup beyond 12 issues. Has any lineup lasted more than a year and a half since Bendis's initial team?

I've dropped Avengers, Secret Avengers, and Avengers Academy... but I kept New Avengers because I love the lineup and dynamic. It's nearly a perfect team in that regard. Why change it? If it changes then I'll have less to care about and I may just drop that one too and be done with the Avengers corner. Now if Mockingbird quits as a result of being shot up two issues ago and they replace her then fine, but the rest of it doesn't need touched.

I like how Luke is about the only hero who frequently has his particular brand of invulnerability referred to by himself or people around him. It's a unique one, sure. But its treated like unbreakable skin actually does make him invulnerable - are his bones unbreakable? Are his organs invulnerable? Are his eyes? Or should the sheer shock often exerted on his skin still cause a cracked rib if the wrecking crew smash a truck into his side? Or if he gets a bazooka in the face, should he not be blinded?

I know he's Bendis' pet fave. But just go and make Luke a superstrong, near invulnerable bloke - the process he went through and the links to Project:Rebirth are about the only things truly interesting about his powers and source.

If form follows function,.. his bones should be "almost" as durable as his "skin" in proportion to how far in they are from the surface.

Same for his internal organs.

Otherwise the feat of his falling 30K feet leaves him a unbreakable skin filled with broken/smooshed innards.

Canon has a vampire unable to pierce his eyes, since he was placed in a pressure cooker in that first immersion you have to accept that the "invulnerable" is his entire external including the insides of his nose, mouth and,.... below the belt.

This is probably why I have a small issue with his having heart problems with his powers removed.

Rest assured....when the dust settles, Wolverine and Spidey will still be there. :(

Unfortunately, those are the first two I would like removed. I'm a big fan of both, just don't care for them on the Avengers.

Unfortunately, those are the first two I would like removed. I'm a big fan of both, just don't care for them on the Avengers.

I'd rather see Wolverine on UXF with a little X-Men dabbled in since he's deceiving them by running X-Force. This better come back and haunt him by both Cyclops and Cap or I'll be pissed.

I'm okay with Spidey on one Avenger team. I'd prefer New Avengers but if he's on the main Avengers along side Thor/IM/and Steve, it would be like he's the 4th member of the Big 3 (which makes no sense, I know).

I was fine with Spidey being on the Avengers, but being on the two teams was bad. I still don't understand the breakdown of the two Avenger teams, but I was dealing with it. Now that Spidey is also on the FF, enough is enough. The FF makes more sense, so he needs to give up the roster spots on the Avnegers.

As far as Wolverine is concerned, I was actually ok with him originally being on the New Avengers (back when it started up), but now it's become a joke. Not only is he on about every team, he now has the ability to teleport coast to coast.

Last edited:
Avengers
New Avengers
X-Men
X-Force

Yeah, 4 different teams is just stupid... and so is Spidey being on 3.

I was fine with Spidey being on the Avengers, but being on the two teams was bad. I still don't understand the breakdown of the two Avenger teams, but I was dealing with it. Now that Spidey is also on the FF, enough is enough. The FF makes more sense, so he needs to give up the roster spots on the Avnegers.

As far as Wolverine is concerned, I was actually ok with him originally being on the New Avengers (back when it started up), but now it's become a joke. Not only is he on about every team, he now has the ability to teleport coast to coast.

After so much traveling, the airlines just decided to give him free tickets.

Regarding upcoming roster changes, the June solicit for the adjectiveless title (with a caption about said changes), showed Protector, Ms. Marvel and Photon, which in and of themselves would make for a crazy powerful group (naturally, they will be placed with a couple of kung fu masters to balance things out).

Yes because you could just as easily add in another X-Man in Wolverine's place and the story remain exactly the same.

I'm okay with him on X-Force and 1 X-Men book because he is doing the secrecy so he has to be on both teams. But when you have X-Men, Uncanny X-Men, and Astonishing X-Men going on three separate missions but all including Wolverine, Emma Frost, and Cyclops... well that's just annoying. Especially when you have some core characters like Iceman, Storm, Havoc, Polaris, and Rachel Grey starved for attention. And the "other" X-Men they are using are being used in 2-Demensional ways, such as Dazzler, Gambit, and Northstar.

Heck... 4 X-Men books and of those 4 books we're only getting full attention on:

Cyclops
Emma
Wolverine
Namor
Magneto
Rogue
Pixie
Kitty Pryde (maybe)

If you go to "other" X-Men books including New Mutants and X-Force we get:

Psylocke
Angel
Cannonball
Dani Moonstar

And of all the X-Men and mutants on Utopia... those are the only characters getting full treatment. Everyone else are either background characters or place fillers and 2-demensional. When you have 4 books focused on X-Men that's just rediculous. I feel like X-23 is finally giving us some real focus on Gambit. Sunspot, Colossus, and Dazzler are almost there but not really. Deadpool and Fantomex get great time in X-Force but neither are actually X-Men so I didn't count them.

So yeah... it's a shame that Wolverine is on 4 real teams (two Avenger teams, X-Men scattered over four books, and X-Force) when other characters deserve the spot light.

Last edited:
You know what I think? I think I like to read good comics. And if Wolverine happens to be in a handful of 'em, that's okay with me. You know why? Because I'm a reasonable, rational person and I know why Marvel likes to spotlight it's most popular characters. And I don't waste my time nitpicking just to nitpick or complaining just to complain.

There's a lot about the industry that sucks and needs to be fixed. This? Wolverine being on "too many" teams? This isn't even worth discussing.

Why would he "deny" the chance? Regardless of whether anything's currently in the works, he knows as well as you should that anything's possible.

I'm pretty sure he would say something along the lines of a "No" if someone started asking for some D-list character movie or something, New Avengers having a roster with Spider-Man and Wolverine would already attract the general audience so making a New Avengers movie wouldn't be a bad decision.

A New Avengers animated movie would be cool to see, yes please!

A New Avengers animated movie would be cool to see, yes please!

I agree. Although, if Marvel were to do an actual New Avengers movie, and not just a version of the Avengers with Spider-Man and Wolverine and Luke Cage, I think they'd have to either make it a sequel to a Disassembled film or combine the two stories into one.

I think that instead of doing a NA dvd, I think that marvel should make NA part of the Avengers Easrths Mightiest Heroes cartoon. What I think they should do, is by the end of the 3rd season, the season finale should be based around disassembled. And the $th season should start off with the NA being brought together. And then by season 5 or so, have the origional team come back together as well, and basically have 2 teams of Avengers, on the cartoon. Which is pretty much whats going on in the MU currently.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"