News & Discussion Thread

Vosloo was on the movie - maybe only for a few days - but he was there. The scenes with him with young Storm Shadow and later pulling off his peasant disguise to reveal Zartan took a few days ...
It's too bad. My hope was we could've seen him actually become a more faithful Zartan at the end and fight Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

It's too bad. My hope was we could've seen him actually become a more faithful Zartan at the end and fight Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

But was (Movie) Zartan supposed to be particularly skilled at close combat? All I took from his character was that he's simply a master manipulator and expert with disguises.

Why not? He killed people in the first movie.

True. But his abilities were only of the semi-realistic/bruiser standards akin to Firefly and Roadblock; as opposed to the wire-fu levels of Snake Eyes and Storm Shadow.

should've been some sort've fight. The healing ability was shown ff, but wasn't given any pay off.

Ok so ive finally seen GiJoe Retaliation. I liked it better than the first but unless i missed it they didnt say anything about the members from the 1st movie? I wanted to know what happened to Rip, Scarlett, Gen Hawk, Heavy Duty, Baroness, Breaker etc? I think they should have at least given a quick backstory or something.They made Duke and RoadBlock like best friends but wasnt it like that with him and Rip in the 1st movie? Like is said maybe i missed something idk.

Ok so ive finally seen GiJoe Retaliation. I liked it better than the first but unless i missed it they didnt say anything about the members from the 1st movie? I wanted to know what happened to Rip, Scarlett, Gen Hawk, Heavy Duty, Baroness, Breaker etc? I think they should have at least given a quick backstory or something.They made Duke and RoadBlock like best friends but wasnt it like that with him and Rip in the 1st movie? Like is said maybe i missed something idk.

It's so that they have the option to bring them back in a sequel if they want to. Same reason why they didn't explicitly kill Destro either. No point committing yourself if you don't have to.

Moreover, Scarlett and the others didn't play a part in the movie. As such, mentioning them would have just confused (new) viewers. It's just something called "conservation of detail".

Finally saw the movie..and i loved it...Adrianne Palicki is all kinds of hawt..Jinx too..omg omg stunning...Lot more snake-eyes is always a plus..The only real problem I had was RZA...STOP ACTING PLEASE.UTTER NONSENSE.Rza should have gotten thrown off a cliff and duke should have lived

Last edited:
It's so that they have the option to bring them back in a sequel if they want to. Same reason why they didn't explicitly kill Destro either. No point committing yourself if you don't have to.

Moreover, Scarlett and the others didn't play a part in the movie. As such, mentioning them would have just confused (new) viewers. It's just something called "conservation of detail".

Ok thanks for the info me peasant. :word:

Finally saw the movie..and i loved it...Adrianne Palicki is all kinds of hawt..Jinx too..omg omg stunning...Lot more snake-eyes is always a plus..The only real problem I had was RZA...STOP ACTING PLEASE.UTTER NONSENSE.Rza should have gotten thrown off a cliff and duke should have lived

Yeah i agree BUT i do think Kinx was hotter than Palicki.

Extended Action Cut (122 minutes)

m2205859.jpg

Last edited:

Jon Chu said that
Scarlet will be back for GI Joe 3

http://www.craveonline.com/film/int...chu-on-g-i-joe-retaliation-g-i-joe-3#/slide/1

Scarlett and Baroness both need to return.

So, rewatched the theatrical cut in comparison to the the extended cut and I think I take back what I said. I think the theatrical cut works a bit better because of what the theatrical cut does with Snake Eyes.

In the theatrical cut, Snake Eyes is essentially a ghost. We have no idea where he is. Roadblock even makes a comment that if Snake Eyes isn't here, he's got a good reason. The next big scene with Snake Eyes is when Zartan, acting as President, says that Snake Eyes is the one who assassinated the Pakistani president. The next time we see Snake Eyes, he's in hand cuffs. Granted, we know Snake Eyes didn't do this but the film plays on this idea. After it is revealed that Storm Shadow is alive and acted as Snake Eyes in the assassination, we then get the reveal, after the escape of Cobra Commander, that Snake Eyes has been on the job all along and also the revelation that Storm Shadow is alive.

Cut to Tokyo where he's given instructions from the Blind Master that they have to help their fellow Joes and now that they know that Storm Shadow is alive, Snake Eyes is tasked with bring him to justice.

In the extended, we get the Tokyo scene first which kind of strips away the mystery of what Snake Eyes is up to and whether or not he in fact did the assassination. Not only that, he's not given instructions from the Blind Master to bring Storm Shadow to justice. And on top of that, the instruction he is given from the Blind Master makes no sense in the narrative. Cobra hasn't indicated anything in the film yet that they are up to something but Snake Eyes is given the task to stop their plans.

The theatrical cut also cuts the Flint nonsense that doesn't play better in the extended cut anyway. Jinx having to prove herself to Snake Eyes has no weight in the extended cut as well.

And while the credits of the film show a whole bunch of footage that wasn't in the theatrical cut at all, it doesn't hurt the film. Yeah, the end credits do play better when you watch it with the theatrical cut but I don't watch credits anyway, so it's a wash.

So, rewatched the theatrical cut in comparison to the the extended cut and I think I take back what I said. I think the theatrical cut works a bit better because of what the theatrical cut does with Snake Eyes.

In the theatrical cut, Snake Eyes is essentially a ghost. We have no idea where he is. Roadblock even makes a comment that if Snake Eyes isn't here, he's got a good reason. The next big scene with Snake Eyes is when Zartan, acting as President, says that Snake Eyes is the one who assassinated the Pakistani president. The next time we see Snake Eyes, he's in hand cuffs. Granted, we know Snake Eyes didn't do this but the film plays on this idea. After it is revealed that Storm Shadow is alive and acted as Snake Eyes in the assassination, we then get the reveal, after the escape of Cobra Commander, that Snake Eyes has been on the job all along and also the revelation that Storm Shadow is alive.

Cut to Tokyo where he's given instructions from the Blind Master that they have to help their fellow Joes and now that they know that Storm Shadow is alive, Snake Eyes is tasked with bring him to justice.

In the extended, we get the Tokyo scene first which kind of strips away the mystery of what Snake Eyes is up to and whether or not he in fact did the assassination. Not only that, he's not given instructions from the Blind Master to bring Storm Shadow to justice. And on top of that, the instruction he is given from the Blind Master makes no sense in the narrative. Cobra hasn't indicated anything in the film yet that they are up to something but Snake Eyes is given the task to stop their plans.

The theatrical cut also cuts the Flint nonsense that doesn't play better in the extended cut anyway. Jinx having to prove herself to Snake Eyes has no weight in the extended cut as well.

And while the credits of the film show a whole bunch of footage that wasn't in the theatrical cut at all, it doesn't hurt the film. Yeah, the end credits do play better when you watch it with the theatrical cut but I don't watch credits anyway, so it's a wash.

I completely disagree, I think the Extended Cut works a lot better, and makes some characters look quite a bit more competent.

In the theatrical cut, Snake Eyes isn't present for the beginning of the movie, and shows up (scoping out the scene and hanging back) for the prison break. So even though he's been trailing Storm Shadow the entire time, he can't be bothered to put any real effort into stopping him (and the leader of the most notorious terrorist cell, freshly escaped). In the extended cut, he and Jinx are both introduced before anything happens and is dispatched to follow up on rumors of "a new attack by our enemies"--right before the two major strikes by Cobra. So when "Snake Eyes" gets captured the movie allows for the possibility that he's fallen into a Cobra trap pursuing a false lead, rather than being given the information (by an established bad guy) that he assassinated the Pakistani prime minister (which we know he didn't) and given that, was somewhat randomly ambushed and captured (which would never happen). In the theatrical cut, everyone looks bad, out of touch, and superfluous. Snake Eyes at least gets the dignity of arriving too late to stop Cobra Commander's escape in the EC (and hampered by a potential turncoat), rather than just looking too absent-minded to bring along a sniper rifle and finish the job.

Jinx as a character is not any kind of game-changer to the story, but her introduction and handling here feels a lot more natural rather than in the TC where both she and Snake Eyes are clumsily re-introduced in a pseudo-training scene that comes across as padding (since it has no purpose in the theatrical cut other than to do just that). Jinx comes across as a completely superfluous character in the theatrical cut, someone to fill up the roster after 99% of the good guys have just been wiped out. In the EC, she is least given a chance--made a potentially dangerous rival that Snake Eyes initially doesn't want around, and then grows to respect as an equal in battle (exemplified by her and Snake Eyes fighting simpatico in the tunnels)--rather than him just handing her the carbon fiber blade at the end of the TC (after she has disappeared for the climax), like "uh, I guess you're a Joe now since it's the end of the movie." Whether she was a necessary addition to the film is debatable, but at least as the only other female Joe in the movie she gets a good representation in the EC.

Flint--now that I agree with you. The "knuckles" scenes were completely unnecessary and contradictory to each other (with no reprisal to Roadbloack, bizarrely), and nothing was gained by it.

The climax is also quite a bit less abrupt in the extended cut, and manages to not make Storm Shadow look like a chump, since after an entire movie of being ambushed and knocked unconscious (it's almost a running gag by the end), Storm Shadow outfoxes Zartan and is only delayed from the killing blow due to Firefly's interference.

Overall it's better paced and arranged in the extended cut, and all those involved look better by comparison.

Last edited:
Does the extended cut address at all that they let Cobra ****ing erase London? 8 Million people ****ing dead in an instant. And then they give them medals at the end?

We are talking about genocide and a holocaust and no one seems upset about it. Cobra literally destroyed London and took it off the face of the earth. Storm Shadow was standing right there.

Seriously, how does no one blink an eye after that scene? How does that scene not bother anyone? How are people are OK with that scene?

It's maddening.

Even in a dumb big action movie like ID4 after all the big cities get destroyed, the mood is somber and like the President is upset about it.

Last edited:
Hell, there was even consequences for the Joes in the first movie when the streets of Paris and the Eiffel Tower were destroyed.

Maybe it will be touched upon in part 3, but I doubt it.

I finally got around to see this movie. I had some extra X-box points so I rented it out. I'm glad I didn't pay for this movie. Some things were better obviously. I liked that Snake eyes didn't have a fake mouth on his mask, and the visor looked much more streamlined. Also we finally get a faithful interpretation of Cobra Commander. Not sure what else is good to say about this movie.

I did like Jonathan Price as Zoltan/imposter President. I appreciate that they let him be the bad guy in this one, and gave him much more to work with than what he had in the last film.

The Roadblock/Duke relationship felt forced, so Duke's death had little impact, although I bet it pissed off some die hard Joe fans, but I assume they were already pissed at how crappy the first movie was.

All in all this was an unnecessary sequel to a film that no one cared about. Add to that the stupid directors decision to kill off Channing Tatum just when his career was going gang busters. I just hope there are no more sequels.

1/10

Does the extended cut address at all that they let Cobra ****ing erase London? 8 Million people ****ing dead in an instant. And then they give them medals at the end?

We are talking about genocide and a holocaust and no one seems upset about it. Cobra literally destroyed London and took it off the face of the earth. Storm Shadow was standing right there.

I just want to launch one of those satellite missile thingies at my brain so I can forget that anyone ever made these movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"