NFL - Game On

One of my favorite Montana stories (don't know if it's true) is that during the niners SB winning drive in the Bengals game, he saw John Candy on the sidelines and said something like "Hey....isn't that John Candy? I'm gonna get his autograph after the game." That's just crazy cool S***.

One of my favorite Montana stories (don't know if it's true) is that during the niners SB winning drive in the Bengals game, he saw John Candy on the sidelines and said something like "Hey....isn't that John Candy? I'm gonna get his autograph after the game." That's just crazy cool S***.
That happened... and he's famous for calling his wife during playoff/Super Bowl games from the sidelines.

The idea that Mahomes isn't already considered a great QB is, IMO, way out in left field. Honestly, if he walked away from the game right now, he's probably in the HOF. In 6 years as the starting QB, his passer rating dipped below 100 only twice, under 98 once (this year when he won a SB), and never under 90.

As for the 49ers D, they were 8th overall, and 3 in rushing and scoring defense. There's nothing wrong with their D.

Kelce acted like a jerk, but I guarantee you that Reid didn't mind his meltdown. He understands how pressure packed things are and how competitive these guys are. He wants them angry, but not to be stupid on the field.

Look, I can't STAND Mahomes and like the Chiefs less than just about any team in the league, but, man, Mahomes isn't just good. My buddy @Babillygunn chided me the other day for saying Mahomes is better than Brady and "maybe" he's right. Brady definitely has the edge when it comes to on-field smarts, but he also played over 15 years longer than has Mahomes, but what Mahomes does on the field is just crazy (and for a Raiders fan like me....FRUSTRATING). I hate saying it, but the dude is just off the charts good and money at the end of the game.
Yeah. Mahommes is up there in the Brady-Montana-Manning-Elway discussion. The fact that, while I strongly disagree that he is better than Brady at this point, it’s still a valid discussion as to whether he may be goat is telling. I don’t think he’s the GOAT, but I readily believe he is undoubtedly great. He throws from any position and his vision is amazing. He’s got an insanely quick release and his IQ is extremely high.

At risk of being perma-banned from this forum, I still think Montana, and not Brady, is the GOAT. 4 Super Bowl appearances, 4 Super Bowl victories. There's a purity there that Brady simply doesn't have. Brady's career is not without its blemishes: losing to the pitiful Giants and Eli "Gomer Pyle" Manning in 2008 when NE was on the brink of an undefeated season and had a HOF team of Brady, Moss and Belicheck was pretty pathetic. And then there's the whole Giselle fiasco :D.
I love Montana, but for argument’s sake, if you are talking “purity” of career accomplishments, you have to remember that Montana was let go in favor of another QB. And Young did outplay him. That never happened to Brady.

I love Montana, but for argument’s sake, if you are talking “purity” of career accomplishments, you have to remember that Montana was let go in favor of another QB. And Young did outplay him. That never happened to Brady.
The Pats didn't have Steve Young as a backup.....that being said, they DID have Jimmy G... :funny:
Yeah. Mahommes is up there in the Brady-Montana-Manning-Elway discussion. The fact that, while I strongly disagree that he is better than Brady at this point, it’s still a valid discussion as to whether he may be goat is telling. I don’t think he’s the GOAT, but I readily believe he is undoubtedly great. He throws from any position and his vision is amazing. He’s got an insanely quick release and his IQ is extremely high.

So, like I said, I use the eye test a lot and also take into consideration the quality of the team. Elway was just crazy good with every single tool in the toolbox. Had Luck or Elway been on the Pats, who knows.....

What teams want in a QB changes over time. Hell, Fran Tarkington was another pain in the ass. What the guys playing the position now bring to the table is athleticism that you didn't generally see 20 or so years ago, but if you've got a guy that can really move, it puts so much more pressure on a defense.

The fact is that we view success as a measure; and rightly so, BUT say Brady is drafted by the Lions (sorry Detroit).....is he the GOAT? Talent, smarts, and circumstances are all in play when it comes to success.

IMO, if there was a Mahomes drafted by the Pats back when Brady was, I think he would almost assuredly be considered much better. That, however, is not reality. Offenses and defenses change. Just like movie revenues change, and, (I can't believe I'm making this analogy) as time goes on, it becomes harder and harder to make comparisons.

The fact is that we view success as a measure; and rightly so, BUT say Brady is drafted by the Lions (sorry Detroit).....is he the GOAT? Talent, smarts, and circumstances are all in play when it comes to success.
We forget though that the Pats were a joke for the longest time. Even with Bledsoe they tended to be a doormat.
That said, this is a very good point. It reminds me that Bruce Arians once was interviewed and was asked about all of the great QBs he coached. While he mentioned Brady, Manning, Rothlesberger and Palmer, he also remarked that Tim Couch was as good if not better than most of them. He said that it was impossible for people to realize how great he was given the situation that he was drafted into. In fact he even pointed out that Couch getting the expansion Browns into the playoffs may have been the most remarkable feat he’d seen any of the QBs he coached perform.

Not surprising when his record with the Steelers was 8-10, I think.

Trivia: the first celebrity singer to perform the Star Spangled Banner at a Super Bowl, was Charley Pride in 1973 at SB VIII.

In the previous seven games, the anthem was usually performed by a marching band or a chorus. It wasn’t until the 80s that having a celebrity singer became the norm.

bUt NO BoDY WaNTEd NInerS aND Kc?
I don't think it was the most watched SB because of the teams (though it was a good matchup from a ratings standpoint). I mean, look, we (football fans generally speaking) spent about 5 pages either talking about or mentioning Taylor Swift. Hell, I heard some people talking about her and Kelce in the freaking supermarket. My wife wanted a "Go Taylor's Boyfriend" shirt. Her and my DAUGHTER (who never watches football) sat on the couch cheering whenever Travis caught a pass.

I think you get my point. The Super Bowl always gets monstrous ratings, but this one definitely got a big bump because of her.

Last edited:

I'm not mad about it... but whoever is hired will have a tough job. It's like being the new Batman.

Last edited:
Shoutout to the KC fans doing more work than any cop at that parade shooting.

One dead and more than 20 injured in Super Bowl parade shooting

Some evil people out there. Supposed to be a fun celebration.
Yeah, I have no idea where the police were or what they were doing, but thankfully the fan or fans who tackled the shooter were in the right place at the right time and prevented anyone else from getting hurt.

Apparently Steve McMichael is hospitalized with pneumonia.

This is hard to hear. ALS is vicious.

Yeah, I have no idea where the police were or what they were doing, but thankfully the fan or fans who tackled the shooter were in the right place at the right time and prevented anyone else from getting hurt.
Shoutout to the KC fans doing more work than any cop at that parade shooting.
I'm not well versed on the detailis, but I did see video of several police running into the building. There were a lot more people than there were cops and I'm glad they were there to takedown this person. From an odds perspective, they were likely able to get there first. Very brave to attack an armed person with no weapon.

Jimmy G was suspended today two games for violating the league’s rules about performance enhancing drugs.

And yes, the article that I read is Filled with comments about how he should see a different doctor because his performance was certainly not enhanced.

Jimmy G was suspended today two games for violating the league’s rules about performance enhancing drugs.

And yes, the article that I read is Filled with comments about how he should see a different doctor because his performance was certainly not enhanced.
If you google "The joke writes itself", they need to use this as an example. :lmao:

Garoppolo could go back to the Patriots. He knows the system and the coach. Other teams he could go to be a backup are Carolina, Washington and Chicago. Those might be his best chances to start in the league again if other QB's don't pan out. He's such an overrated QB, though. He got to a Super Bowl with a team that is highly successful with QB's. He's also injury prone. I think he has one more chance to start in this league. Even that's a stretch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"