"Ninety Nine Nights--MEDIOCRE" (Gamespot and IGN)

Manny Calavera said:
Ok, I'm going to try and keep this short so that you don't get lost in the midst of it all, or confused or whatever is happening to you. This is not about how repetitive pong is compared to something else. The point was, before you came in and gave everyone a ******* of ignorance, that all games are repetitive by their very nature, it's something present in EVERY game, making it an invalid complaint, like saying "I have to interact with the machine to play, how dumb". If you honestly don't understand this, then please, by all means, stop posting. Stop trying to come off as "smart" but instead coming off as, well, someone who has to try to come off as smart, stop with the condescending-while-I-write-a-failure-of-a-post crap reminiscent of a spiderdogg or an oregondude, and most of all, stop with the "I'll just make up my own debate and argue along with that" crap. At the end of the day, and you need to read this as many times as it takes to get it through your ****ing dense head, you are wrong. Games are repetitive. Tomb Raider is just the same group of actions over and over until the game is over. Halo, Ninja Gaiden, Splinter Cell, it's the same **** for the entirety of the game. They don't suddenly change genre's midway to keep it from being "repetitive", they don't have "design lead switch off day" back at the studio where all the lead designers have a crack at each other's games to add some variety you ****ing moron. You are wrong. If they didn't like N3, I couldn't care less, I've liked games that haven't been well received in the past, I really don't care. Repetitive is not a valid complaint. End of ****ing discussion.
Firstly, use paragraphs. They're your friend. They make your drivel easier to sift through.

Secondly, editing my replies to say silly things points to your inept reasoning skills and general lack of the ability to act like an adult. Perhaps you're still a child, in which case, that's an unfair comment by me. I was probably just as immature at your age.

Thirdly, I'm not pretending to be smart. I am in fact, just smart. I aced my GCSEs, I aced my A Levels, and I'm now about to enter my third year in university studying law and have a pretty promising career ahead of me. Failure to adhere to your point of view does not somehow make me stupid, especially when the arguments you put forward are not just flawed, but fundamentally wrong.

Fourth and finally, you're now arguing a point which I didn't disagree with. I never once said that all games aren't repetitive. I said they weren't repetitive to the same degree, which they're aren't. If all games where repetitive to the same degree, as you originally attempted to argue, then it would be a feature in every review. The reason it isn't is because some games are more repetitive than others. In some games you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. These games are criticised as being repetitive. Like N3, for example. Many other games aren't criticised for being repetitive, and this is because they're less repetitive, and it hampers enjoyment of the game to a lesser extent. It's quite a simple concept, and I should think the vast majority would see it.

Criticising a game for being repetitive is a valid complaint, just as much as poor graphics or bad AI are.

I guess you were only "done" if you got the last word in.

Avalanche said:
Firstly, use paragraphs. They're your friend. They make your drivel easier to sift through.

Secondly, editing my replies to say silly things points to your inept reasoning skills and general lack of the ability to act like an adult. Perhaps you're still a child, in which case, that's an unfair comment by me. I was probably just as immature at your age.
That was a one paragraph response, meaning it would have been pointless. I don't know if you're still in grade school where three sentences warrants a paragraph or what, but that usually doesn't happen elsewhere. As for editing your quote, no, it wasn't done for immaturity or for lack of reasoning, though judging by your previously displayed ability to just make **** up and believe it with all your heart I'm sure that wont phase you. The reason it was done was to quickly sum up the post so that quoting it didn't take up too much room. Sorry.

A guy pretending said:
Thirdly, I'm not pretending to be smart. I am in fact, just smart. I aced my GCSEs, I aced my A Levels, and I'm now about to enter my third year in university studying law and have a pretty promising career ahead of me. Failure to adhere to your point of view does not somehow make me stupid, especially when the arguments you put forward are not just flawed, but fundamentally wrong.

Should I really bother to explain that providing obviously fake credentials to make yourself seem smarter than a 12 year old when you clearly are a 12 year old, at least mentally, is one of the oldest internet cliche's, next to "omg I could beat u up in real life!1"? Probably not.

Fourth and finally, you're now arguing a point which I didn't disagree with. I never once said that all games aren't repetitive. I said they weren't repetitive to the same degree, which they're aren't. If all games where repetitive to the same degree, as you originally attempted to argue, then it would be a feature in every review. The reason it isn't is because some games are more repetitive than others. In some games you feel like you're doing the same thing over and over again. These games are criticised as being repetitive. Like N3, for example. Many other games aren't criticised for being repetitive, and this is because they're less repetitive, and it hampers enjoyment of the game to a lesser extent. It's quite a simple concept, and I should think the vast majority would see it.
I didn't attempt to argue that, or anything, I said that all games were repetitive. You disagreed. I said, no jackass, all games are repetitive. You continued to disagree until we see the backtracking we have here now.

Criticising a game for being repetitive is a valid complaint, just as much as poor graphics or bad AI are.
You're right. Only instead of what you just said, it's actually the exact opposite. But other than that, correct.

Am I the only thing that can easily comprehend what OUR THE GRIM FANDANGO dude is talking about?

He's right. Take DMC3. It's all about holding R1 and pressing square then X repeatedly. All over and over again. Sure you can kill many demons and fight bosses. But it's the same situation pasted over and over. Every game is like this.

Oh no, you're totally wrong, in Tomb Raider you can both walk and crawl, omg teh variety111!! :rolleyes:

Manny Calavera said:
Oh no, you're totally wrong, in Tomb Raider you can both walk and crawl, omg teh variety111!! :rolleyes:
omfgnooa8.jpg

I throw up whenever I remember some WB marketer ****** with some kind of untreated mental mutant disease thought that one trick pony stupid ass monkey a-hole could have made a great Batman :down

Yup. Kutcher is good for two things. That 70's Show and...Well Punk'd but it's not funny because of him...Nor what That 70's Show for that matter...

Ummm.

Punk'd has got to be the most pretentious and ******ed piece of "entertainment" EVER.

"Oohh!! Let's play pranks on the 'celebrities'!!! It's fun to hide their ferraris!! LOL!"

Die, MTV.

Gammy79 said:
Punk'd has got to be the most pretentious and ******ed piece of "entertainment" EVER.

"Oohh!! Let's play pranks on the 'celebrities'!!! It's fun to hide their ferraris!! LOL!"

Die, MTV.

You weren't in the "popular" crowd in high school, were you?

Makeshift Celebrity said:
You weren't in the "popular" crowd in high school, were you?

I was actually in the "Too damn cool for your own good" crowd.

I was the only member though :(

Manny Calavera said:
I didn't attempt to argue that, or anything, I said that all games were repetitive. You disagreed. I said, no jackass, all games are repetitive. You continued to disagree until we see the backtracking we have here now.
I, in fact, didn't disagree with your comment that all games are repetitive. This is what I had to say in my first response to your comment on repetition:

But presumably to some games more than others. Games offer varying degrees of variety. Some games are more repetitive than others. Some games are more fun than others, making the repetition a lesser evil.
I Just offered the suggestion that some games are more repetitive than others, to which you seemed to take great offence.

Like most things, repetition can be represented on a sliding scale. I'm going to use an example. In GAME A, you control a car. However, the only button you can press is the button for acceleration, and the car just goes along a straight road, and you have no further control of it other than to make it go forward. GAME A has a high degree of repetition. 10/10 on the sliding scale if you will. All you are doing is going forward in the exact same manner over and over. GAME B is a game like Burnout Revenge. Ultimately, like GAME A, you are driving. However, in GAME B, this is more varied. You can drive in complex tracks. You can take shortcuts. You can crash, or ram other cars off the road. Engage in 'crash' mode. Yes, ultimately, you're still driving, but it doesn't feel nearly as repetitive as it does in GAME A. It might be awarded 6/10 on the repetition scale.

In GAME A, after a minute or two, the game is going to get repetitive, and you're going to get fed up. In GAME B, though it will eventually happen, it's going to take a lot longer for the game to feel repetitive. GAME A is more repetitive than GAME B. The reviewer likely won't mention repetition in GAME B, but will mention it with respect to GAME A. Extreme examples maybe.

I actually can't believe I'm arguing this. It just seems glaringly obvious to me. Some games are more repetitive than others. I don't understand why this is such a controversial thing to say?

Manny Calavera said:
Should I really bother to explain that providing obviously fake credentials to make yourself seem smarter than a 12 year old when you clearly are a 12 year old, at least mentally, is one of the oldest internet cliche's, next to "omg I could beat u up in real life!1"? Probably not.
For the record, the 'credentials' I posted where not thrown randomly into the mix. They were a response to you suggesting I wasn't smart, to which I do tend to take offence on the grounds that I've worked hard in my life to stay smart. I'm not 12. I'm 21. I finished school and my GCSEs in 2001, and sixth form and my A Levels in 2003. I took a year out, and then attended Sheffield university in September 2004 to study LLB Law [M100], a course I will complete in June 2007, so not long now. I assure you that whilst I might be appearing stupid to you, I'm not.

As for beating people up, I'm not a particularly tough guy. 5'11'' and 150 pounds, I'm quite a slim guy, and no doubt there are a lot of people on this forum who could 'beat me up'. It's not something I feel compelled to lie about. On the other hand, I doubt the same number of people would be able to fare better than me on a top law course.

And yes, I'm being pretentious in throwing my academic ability in your face, but if you will question my intelligence. If it's perhaps caused you to feel you're no match, then rest assured that physically you could probably kick my ass. You're the real man here. Grrrr. There, now we're even.

Avalanche said:
I, in fact, didn't disagree with your comment that all games are repetitive. This is what I had to say in my first response to your comment on repetition:
I Just offered the suggestion that some games are more repetitive than others, to which you seemed to take great offence.
It's become painfully obvious that you aren't reading anything and are just responding with several shots in the dark, no need to continue making the point. I didn't "take great offense" to you saying one game was more repetitive than another, I took "great offense" to you being a dumb ass and thinking the ability to both walk and crawl somehow made the game less repetitive. I took "great offense" to you being a moron, not to games being repetitive.

Like most things, blah blah blah
Jesus christ, you're still ****ing just driving around! There's no more goddamn variety there because you can drive different types of vehicles, it's the same damn activity over and over and over again because that's what the game is based on you ****ing moron
dagnabbit.gif

More of the same stupid ****
It's not a controversial thing to say that some games are more repetitive than others, it's sad that you're too goddamn stupid to understand this, I'm getting really frustrated with the fact that you can't seem to understand one ****ing thing, no matter how ****ing simple. In your ****ty example, you're still ****ing just driving around! You don't do anything else there. It's still a ****ing repetitive activity dip****, this isn't about how repetitive one thing is over another, it's about the fact that all games are just the same activity over and over again, and it's about you being a ****ing idiot and being totally incapable of understanding this. Let me give you some perspective, because you've apparently forgotten what you're talking about in the midst of arguing that some games are more repetitive than others despite the fact that it has nothing to do with anything that anyone has said here. The argument was: They say N3 is repetitive because it's just you killing large groups of enemies. I said, this is flawed, because this is the premise of the game so of course it will be the focus, it's like saying a racing game is repetitive because all you do is drive and so I don't like it, or if you'd like another example, it would be as stupid as implying a racing game is NOT repetitive because you have different vehicles to perform the exact same activity with. I said "well all games are repetitive". You said, I assume because you're a moron, "no, they aren't, because in Tomb Raider I can crawl". That's what we are discussing, this has nothing to do with Pong compared to Tomb Raider, it has nothing to do with any of the stupid **** that you continue to bring up in spite of it not having anything to do with the topic. Games are repetitive. Period. Adding in different cars to repeat the same activity doesn't change that.

here's me being a blowhard
No, they were thrown around without any need, as they didn't lend you any extra credibility or make you seem smarter in any way, it ended up just making you seem like another internet doctor/spy/government official/millionaire. And if you really wanted to prove to me that you weren't dumb, this wasn't the best way to go about it, because you've pretty much destroyed any hope of you ever being anything else in my eyes.

And yes, I'm being pretentious in throwing my academic ability in your face, but if you will question my intelligence. If it's perhaps caused you to feel you're no match, then rest assured that physically you could probably kick my ass. You're the real man here. Grrrr. There, now we're even.
Just when I thought the post couldn't be any dumber, there's this. I didn't say I could "kick your ass", I used that as an example for something that would be equally stupid to the stuff you were doing. I mean, wow. Please, please, please don't reply, don't log back into the forums, don't do anything that involves you sharing ideas with anyone else, I'm begging you.

^

Gosh.

It's just a forum. You really shouldn't allow yourself to get quite so stressed about the opinion of another, even when it's as stupid as you believe mine to be.

I have another example. All my friends can be pulled under the heading of 'friends'. Sarah is a different friend to David. They're both different friends to Claire and Tim. Now, if I spent all year hanging out with just Claire, she's going to get repetitive. It's less repetitive if I hang out with differerent friends throughout the year, even though they're all just 'friends'.

Curses. I've only gone and replied. I've many more ideas to share too. They'll probably also wizz by over your head.

My friend said the demo was excellent, and it looks a lot like the fantastic spartan total warrior so I am in.

What's the storyline if anyone knows?

No, no, no....

As much as I loved the 99 Nights demo, it is NOTHING like the brilliance that is Spartan: Total Warrior.

Gammy79 said:
No, no, no....

As much as I loved the 99 Nights demo, it is NOTHING like the brilliance that is Spartan: Total Warrior.

I LOVED spartan so much it makes me weep.

tell me your thoughts on the 99N demo, gams, and story lowdown if you can

The demo is super fun, regardless of any technical flaws the game might have (hit detection, for example). It also can be a button masher, which is the dumbest reason ever to badmouth a hack and slash game....I mean, the combat variety is THERE.

If the game lets you beat it using only the X button, that's good and all....but it's up to the player to try different moves and combos if you want to spice up the combat, know what I mean?

I will never understand people/reviewers that go "Yeah, I beat the game only using the X button"....Jesus Christ, talk about ******ED.

Do I think Ninja Gaiden or Mark of Kri, with their very demanding combat skills, are better? Yeah, I do....but that doesn't make N3 any less fun.

It's one thing to try and have fun, experimenting with the combat and the different moves, than to actually LOOK for mistakes in the game and forcefully go through the game using only 1 button, making the game not fun...which of course is the complete opposite of what I do when playing a videogame.

But to each his own, I guess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"