Superman Returns No Supervillians in Superman Returns; A very wise decision.

Sorry if i was rude, Matt. Seriously. I just thought it was a good joke and it was funny to see the Crystal Ball. Thats it. Sorry again.

I think Superman needs Luthor and later on Supervillains, just to set things up.

Lobster Charlie said:
Why not? We have the technology and talent to make some pretty bad-assed looking updated versions of Superman's villains. I mean, I'd rather see them try something new, bold, and daring instead of what seems to be a near-remake of the original!

Theres obviously still potential for that in the sequels, they just needed some familiar ground (the Superman VS Lex thing) to kick off the franchaise again, since thats what the general public is aware of vaguely.

The good news is that the writers basically confirmed (in the moviehole interview) that supervillians will be featured in the sequels. They just needed to kickstart things off on some familarial territory....as opposed to doing it the Tim Burton way. They also said the seeds for the sequels will be planted in this film....

Well that's good to know, I guess. I don't have a good feeling about this film, but I'll be there on opening night, with an open mind, hoping and praying for the best!

Kane said:
Theres obviously still potential for that in the sequels, they just needed some familiar ground (the Superman VS Lex thing) to kick off the franchaise again, since thats what the general public is aware of vaguely.

The good news is that the writers basically confirmed (in the moviehole interview) that supervillians will be featured in the sequels. They just needed to kickstart things off on some familarial territory....as opposed to doing it the Tim Burton way. They also said the seeds for the sequels will be planted in this film....

You don't need to kick things off the traditional way. Burton did it the traditional way (Batman vs Joker). Singer is doing the traditional way. Look at Nolan, he took three villians very few, if any people have ever heard of and made an outstanding movie. He took the daring route. Singer is very much so, taking the safe, boring route.

SpiderDaniel said:
Sorry if i was rude, Matt. Seriously. I just thought it was a good joke and it was funny to see the Crystal Ball. Thats it. Sorry again.

No worries my man...but umm...listen to some David Cross, then read the crystal ball joke again ;)

Oh...i guess its because i`m not american. I`m brazilian and i live in Toronto, Canada. Didn`t catch all the habits, yet ;)

Matt said:
You don't need to kick things off the traditional way. Burton did it the traditional way (Batman vs Joker). Singer is doing the traditional way. He took three villians very few, if any people have ever heard of and made an outstanding movie. Singer is very much so, taking the safe, boring route.

He definately is boring.

Matt said:
BB had Scarecrow and Ra's. Batman is human, that is why villians like Two-Face, Joker, Riddler, Ra's (AKA, villians with no powers) work for him.

Superman needs a physical threat, and an evil continent doesn't cut it. Luthor needs muscle. Someone like Metallo would've been perfect, he could've been explained in five minutes, Luthor could've created him, and we could've had an epic battle.

I agree completely:up:

After this "requel" we better see a sequel with a supervillain. We better not get some **** like Lex in an Iron Man suit.

RedIsNotBlue said:
After this "requel" we better see a sequel with a supervillain. We better not get some **** like Lex in an Iron Man suit.

Yeah, Lex wearing armor to abttle superman one on one is too Superfriends!

i was very angry and i am still that we dont have a supervillain.

but singer is making a great movie.
mind over muscle ;)
b36065020.gif

Kane said:
Ya I think obviously names like 'Metallo' and 'Brainiac' will be devised by the Daily Planet writers or media as names for these villians.

'Superman' was also a name devised by the media.

In the movie itself, they can call them John Corben and Milton Fine or Vril Dox.

i like how in the newest Smallville they had Jor-El call Brainiac the 'Brain-Inter-Active-Construct'

i thought that was creative.

Kane said:
I was watching Batman Begins again, and I realized how well it works when the villians are real and human. Even Ras, a very magical/mystical based character in the comics, was portrayed in a very real, human manner.

Superman may be an alien, but in this film...hes very human (possibly more real than any previous Superman portrayal)....meaning a non-geek audience of all ages would be able to enjoy the film without being alienated (no pun intended).

I think their approach was right...build up an audience first with a very human movie (bringing Supes back to the bigscreen for the first time in 30 years)....and then break into more sci-fi based comicbook stuff for the future films (supervillians like Brainiac, Metallo etc....)

If we can objectify this decision outside the realm of being hardcore comicbook fans, it does actually seem like a very reasonable and logical apporach for the mainstream audience, who likely arent major sci-fi fans. Everyone (comicbook fans or not) know that Superman's arch nemesis has always been Lex Luthor, and that familiarity will be a good draw for them to see this flick. The great thing is both writers confirmed (via Moviehole.com) that supervillians will appear in the sequels and alot of elements relating to the sequels will be set up in Superman Returns.

So I'm finally convinced this was a wise decision, what do you guys think?

Agreed :up: :supes:

dark_b said:
it was very creative.

Ya the name was. The only problem was Fine being some tool for Zod,...and Zod himself being some ghost/spirit that inhabits peoples bodies :confused:

I wanted a supervillian,still do,But I guess I understand the general publics need for it to be grounded in reality,but there better be one in the sequel,no excuse then.

They said there would be. Nolan also recently said that the sequel to Begins will be VERY comic-book inspired and WB has allowed them to go nuts with it.

So maybe this reality concept is just a good way to kick off the frainchaise, re-build an audience.

Yeah, I do agree Singer and WB went the safe route with this, but I also know this was the best direction to re-introduce this character back to audiences.

That whole Luthor creating Metallo sounds too "Nuclear Man" corny, but Singer probably could have made it work. You'll get your supervillains in sequels, no doubt about that.........

Kane said:
They said there would be. Nolan also recently said that the sequel to Begins will be VERY comic-book inspired and WB has allowed them to go nuts with it.

So maybe this reality concept is just a good way to kick off the frainchaise, re-build an audience.

I think its a smart move. Make the first movie more grounded into reality, and bring in the supervillains later on.

man,it will be so awesome to see,with what they can do now a days.I'll be happy with the first till then.

Plus Superman VS Lex is CLASSIC. Everyone knows Lex Luthor is Superman's arch nemesis (though prior movies never portrayed the two as two sides of the same coin and arch rivals.)

If the Burton/Schumaccer films never came out in recent years, its obvious that Batman Begins would have started with The Joker...the most identifiable Batman villian.

I think that helps as well. It will help the movie by putting Lex in there as the main villain. The average person could identify Lex Luthor as Supermans villain and probably not many others. This will bring the audience in with familiar characters that would lead to the sequels having what every fanboy wants. SUPERVILLAIN.

yes,and plus,their will be hints through out the movie of villians,so the audience will know,and understand, what to expect for the sequel(s)

like as usual from singer... he always leaves us a cookie in movies..... just watch and wait is all i have to say !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"