Sequels Noah Hawley to Write/EP "Legion" Pilot for FX

Man in the Suit

We're the Ones Who Live
Reaction score
Is FX about to grab a piece of the Marvel Comics pie? You betcha!

The network has ordered a pilot for Legion, described as “the story of a troubled young man who may be more than human,” with Noah Hawley (Fargo) writing and serving as executive producer, it was announced today by Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, Presidents of Original Programming for FX Networks and FX Productions.

The logline for the potential series, which introduces the comic-book character David Haller, reads as follows: “Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real.”

In comic-book lore, David Haller is the son of X-Men‘s mutant Professor Charles Xavier and Israeli Holocaust survivor Gabrielle Haller — and each of his distinct personalities is related to a different superpower.

“Legion is just the sort of ambitious story that Noah excels at,” said Grad, in a statement. “His adaption of Fargo for television was one of the most acclaimed television events in recent memory. It’s also an honor to partner with Marvel on Legion and to enlist such an accomplished team of Executive Producers to create this pilot.”

Hawley’s fellow EPs on the project will include X-Men vets Lauren Shuler Donner, Bryan Singer and Simon Kinberg, as well as Jeph Loeb (Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s Daredevil), Jim Chory (Marvel’s Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel’s Daredevil) and John Cameron (Fargo, The Big Lebowski).
http://tvline.com/2015/10/14/legion-marvel-tv-series-pilot-fx/

Very interesting that this is a co-production with Marvel. Very interesting indeed...

I wonder if Jason from x2 will pop up in this?

I like that he is honest about his lack of fandom. This is one I am reallly excited for. Hellfire needs to show a lot more, but the concept of Legion has me sold.

And it sounds like it is going to be shooting soon. Which will be awesome. Can't wait to hear news of who they cast as Legion.

So seems like Fox owned the TV rights all along?

It's been in the works for a long time. Some of that was Marvel dealmaking process. Fox has rights to make movies and sort of tacitly the rights to do TV...

So seems like Fox owned the TV rights all along?

Nope. This has been linked many times, but here it is again:

http://openjurist.org/277/f3d/253/twentieth-v-marvel.

The key section is #4, which states that Marvel owns the rights and FOX holds a "lock out" provision.

And let's think about this logically. If FOX could have gone off and put multiple licensed TV shows into production without Marvel's approval, why the hell would they agree to enter into painstaking negotiations that took over a year to complete? It's absolutely ridiculous.

The way he described it is one way to describe it. The fact is, neither truly owned the tv live action rights.

The way he described it is one way to describe it. The fact is, neither truly owned the tv live action rights.

The author should have stated that, rather than imply that the "painstaking" year long negotiations were done solely as a professional courtesy to Marvel. I understand there's a certain amount of corporate spin involved in we've been reading the past day or so, but there's no excuse for not reading factual info easily accessible online.

You need to calm it down with the condescending post. That's the first I've seen of that link and I've visited threads similar to this on this forum a number of times.

And not that it matters but I'm in neither camp in this so-called studio war.

You need to calm it down with the condescending post. That's the first I've seen of that link and I've visited threads similar to this on this forum a number of times.

My annoyance is with the author of the article, not posters on these forums.

This is perhaps a debate of semantics. Technically speaking, that statement is false. Marvel owned the tv live action rights. However, practically speaking, that's correct. Marvel had no right to use those rights because Fox could block them from doing so.

Anyway, regarding Legion: I've always found him to be a poorly written character. This might be even more so on a TV budget because the only real interesting thing was Bill Sienkiewicz drawing the inside of his head and the battle raging there. A TV show is more likely to focus on the character's interactions with the rest of the world, which makes him kind of a more powerful less interesting Typhoid Mary. That being said, a TV show will provide the opportunity to make the character right without the baggage of continuity. They can pick and choose the good without having to take the bad. I'll probably check out at least the pilot.

Even without the Marvel branding I'd be interested in Legion because of the creator and the network.

Thing is rather you like X-Men better or like avengers better i think it's
ridculas for anyone on message board to think they know more than those
actully working on projects.

One of scoopers on twitter heard the same as Hawley said.and another said
the deal for the tv shows has been In the works for a year now.

We know the deal has been in the works for a long time. Wasn't it last fall that the head of Fox TV was talking about looking for showrunners?

The Mutant X lawsuit left things murky enough that things can easily be twisted, and still true.

As for Legion, I enjoyed him post Age of X. His inner mindscape was kind of fascinating.

Thing is rather you like X-Men better or like avengers better i think it's
ridculas for anyone on message board to think they know more than those
actully working on projects.

One of scoopers on twitter heard the same as Hawley said.and another said
the deal for the tv shows has been In the works for a year now.

And I think it's ridiculas to swallow whatever bloggers are feeding you, even if what they are "reporting" contradicts legal docs, audited financial statements and basic common sense.

Hmmm I don't even think this is a co-production. Most likely, the Marvel logo will be shown in the show and promotional materials and Marvel Entertainment or Marvel Television will be credited as a company associated to the TV series just like what is happening in the movies where you see "In Asssociation with Marvel Entertainment" as the start of the film. Then Jeff Leob or whoever from Marvel is attached as a executive producer just like with Stan Lee attached as a executive producer in the X-Men/Fantastic Four films.

I don't know really know about this show, like Legion doesn't interest me as a character. I thought his X-Men Legacy run was a chore to read. I would be more interested to a X-Factor series... though I would be happy if Fox is saving X-Factor in movies!

On Wednesday, Marvel announced plans for two new X-Men TV series: FX Networks ordered a pilot titled Legion, while FOX is in development on an action-adventure series, tentatively titled Hellfire.

The Legion TV series is the story of a troubled young man who may be more than human. The pilot introduces the story of David Haller: Since he was a teenager, David has struggled with mental illness. Diagnosed as schizophrenic, David has been in and out of psychiatric hospitals for years. But after a strange encounter with a fellow patient, he’s confronted with the possibility that the voices he hears and the visions he sees might be real. Of course, comic book fans know Haller as the schizophrenic son of Charles Xavier.

A regular in the original X-Factor book, Haller (aka Legion) famously merged his various personalities into a singular, immensely powerful individual who, in an attempt to help his father, accidentally unleashed The Age of Apocalypse.

Noah Hawley (“Fargo,” “Bones”), who will write the pilot and serve as executive producer, was asked by TV Insider why they went with the Legion TV series. “What I really like about him is, here’s a character who is schizophrenic on some level, a character struggling with mental illness. Is he crazy or does he have these powers? The answer is, kind of both. I’m a big believer that the structure of a story should reflect the content of the story. And so I liked the idea that if you have a character that doesn’t know what’s real and what’s not real, that is also the audience’s journey,” he said.

If you were hoping for Legion to connect to the X-Men movie universe, Hawley said that it will be more of a standalone story: “It’s conceived more as a standalone. I don’t want to say too much more about it on that level, but certainly it’s not constructed as a back-door anything. It’s more just that there’s a story that I want to explore that has to fit into that larger universe, which is exciting.” And what about a connection to Hellfire? “We certainly haven’t had any conversations about crossovers. I don’t know anything about it, but I think that one is more linearly taken out of the world of the movies. Ours has its own world to it.”

Hawley also revealed when the Legion TV series will start filming. “The plan is to start shooting Legion by the end of January or early February. And then hopefully we’ve made something great and we can shoot the rest of the year and go from there.”

http://www.superherohype.com/news/3...n-tv-series-and-its-x-men-universe-connection
Looks like its happening sooner than I expected!

Sounds like its gonna have very little connection to the movies, the plan certainly doesn't seem to be just an excuse to mix movie with TV

Last edited:
I think Legion is a case of them using characters they have no plans for in films.

Hmmm I don't even think this is a co-production. Most likely, the Marvel logo will be shown in the show and promotional materials and Marvel Entertainment or Marvel Television will be credited as a company associated to the TV series just like what is happening in the movies where you see "In Asssociation with Marvel Entertainment" as the start of the film. Then Jeff Leob or whoever from Marvel is attached as a executive producer just like with Stan Lee attached as a executive producer in the X-Men/Fantastic Four films.

Well, here's the question. Does Kevin Feige get listed as Executive Producer for the X-Men films? If not, why would Jeph Loeb get listed for these X-Men TV shows? I don't know why the TV side would demand more credit than the movie side does.

On the other hand, maybe their side of helping isn't in the creative department. Marvel has more experience creating a shared universe with the TV side. Maybe they're just providing production/logistical advice in helping set it up.

It should be noted as well that Hellfire's announcement implied more Marvel involvement than Legion. As to Feige getting credit on X-Men films, he was last credited on The Last Stand. Ever since Marvel Studios was doing their own thing Fox just slaps Stan Lee's name on the films.

Well, here's the question. Does Kevin Feige get listed as Executive Producer for the X-Men films? If not, why would Jeph Loeb get listed for these X-Men TV shows? I don't know why the TV side would demand more credit than the movie side does.

On the other hand, maybe their side of helping isn't in the creative department. Marvel has more experience creating a shared universe with the TV side. Maybe they're just providing production/logistical advice in helping set it up.

Because I think the TV side is a genuine coproduction. I think Fox and Marvel working on friendly terms is a great thing.

Executive Producer in television is not the same as Executive Producer in films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"