Now that Doom....*Spoilers* from F4 #537

GoblinScrier

Sidekick
Reaction score
Now that Dr. Doom CAN'T wield the hammer of Thor and he left in a hurry at the end, do you think that is the end of Doom's involvment in Civil War? I was hoping he could secretly be one of the main threats in the coming battle but after waiting 2 years for his "continuity" return, I hope he doesn't disappear again.

For the record, his return to Latveria was nothing short of genius...

I agree, very well done on the return so my hat's off to JMS on that. He captured what made him so unique years ago - - - the paradox of his capacity to either do great good or great evil. I thought the scenes of his courage in facing off against the hordes of bad place was very reminiscent of Roger Stern's take on the character in "Triumph and Torment". Yet this same man can whack his prime minister and demand to have a bath prepared for him. Well, as they say "cleanliness is next to godliness" and if anyone has such aspirations it's Victor.:D

But what do you make of the cause and effect of the Hammer going off like that? Ben tried to pick up the Hammer of Thor and nothing happened. Twice Doom was within reach or touched it and it seemed to react to him, even though he couldn't actually wield it. He was close enough to feel it's power (which is like dangling a hooker's phone number in front of Charlie Sheen) and then the second time on Earth it went off like a nuclear strike after he tried to pick it up. Am I reading too much into that??

Good point, Maiden. Maybe there's more to this than meets the eye. Maybe Doom wasn't quite as humiliated as he seemed to be when taking his leave...

I think Doom is gonna stay home and watch the whole Civil War on tv... ;)

Iron Maiden said:
I agree, very well done on the return so my hat's off to JMS on that. He captured what made him so unique years ago - - - the paradox of his capacity to either do great good or great evil. I thought the scenes of his courage in facing off against the hordes of bad place was very reminiscent of Roger Stern's take on the character in "Triumph and Torment". Yet this same man can whack his prime minister and demand to have a bath prepared for him. Well, as they say "cleanliness is next to godliness" and if anyone has such aspirations it's Victor.:D

But what do you make of the cause and effect of the Hammer going off like that? Ben tried to pick up the Hammer of Thor and nothing happened. Twice Doom was within reach or touched it and it seemed to react to him, even though he couldn't actually wield it. He was close enough to feel it's power (which is like dangling a hooker's phone number in front of Charlie Sheen) and then the second time on Earth it went off like a nuclear strike after he tried to pick it up. Am I reading too much into that??

Like Doom said- He felt Thor's presence. Likely Thor escaped bad place with Doom, connecting his essence to Doom as he's done with so many others. But he would never allow Doom to actually lift Mjolnir.

Dragon said:
Like Doom said- He felt Thor's presence. Likely Thor escaped bad place with Doom, connecting his essence to Doom as he's done with so many others. But he would never allow Doom to actually lift Mjolnir.

Did Thor end up in bad place? I never did read the last issue but I saw somewhere else that he plucked his own eyes out or something like that.:eek:

Iron Maiden said:
Did Thor end up in bad place? I never did read the last issue but I saw somewhere else that he plucked his own eyes out or something like that.:eek:

If I recall correctly IM, it was never really explained where Thor went after he "died". I would have to look back on the final issue to be certain tho. And, yes, he did remove both eyes to prove he was worthy of the information he needed to finally end the cycle of Ragnorak.

Thanks, I will have to check out those stories. I got to the part where Thor's "religion" was taking over the Earth.... apparently with no effect whatsoever in any of the other Marvel titles at that time!

Anyone got a scan of DOOM holding Thors hammer form that issue?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"