NX - Nintendo's Next Generation Hardware Concept

Discussion in 'Nintendo' started by XtremelyBaneful, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LibidoLoca Politically Delicious

No they did... you just have to see it with your eyes. :o

But yeah I wouldn't be surprised if EA just flat out doesn't do it, regardless.

2. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

Why would any third party company commit to Nintendo at this point? The console will have some wacky ******** for a controller which means extra development time for third party games. PS4 and Xbox platforms have very similar controllers. No extra nonsense. You add in whatever hair brained scheme Nintendo has planned and now devs can't simply port a game over. They have to do extra work to accommodate Nintendo's ham fisted innovation.

I love Nintendo's games, but their hardware is a train wreck. I completely understand third parties playing the wait and see game. Nintendo doesn't inspire confidence after the Wii U. That said, EA didn't flat out say NO.

3. Havok83 Registered

Nintendo isnt going to have a successful system on 1st party games alone and without third party support, the NX is doomed to fail. Publishers taking the wait and see approach are only contributing to that. Nintendo has billions of dollars. They need to use that to entice devs over even if it helps cover some development cost for the NX versions and/or marketing.

4. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I agree there. If Nintendo is going to do some kinda ******ed ******** gimmick with NX they need to do something to help third parties develop for it. They can't expect the entire industry to bend to their forced innovation.

5. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

I think "bend to our demands" is more appropriate. Which Nintendo is never going to do. Expecting EA games on a Nintendo system seems like a fruitless endeavor.

6. Matt Mortem Karloff is King

I think both parties are stubborn. Nintendo will never bend to the trends of modern gaming and EA just does EA stuff. I doubt there will ever be a harmonious relationship between the two.

7. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I know there's no point to saying this, since it basically goes ignored or shunned whenever I do say it, but the problem with the things you guys are saying is that you're assuming Nintendo is going after the same market as Sony and MS. The signs are pointing to them going in a very different direction. We really don't know how important 3rd party support will be, at least traditional AAA support.

Of course, I know I just wasted my time typing that. It's not like anyone is going to pay attention to it.

8. Soapy Registered

If the NX can play a Zelda game meant for the Wii U, then it can't be that radical a departure from normal consoles.

9. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Yes and no, I guess. Nintendo clearly wouldn't turn down third party support. But, they won't cave into demands like MS or Sony could. Nintendo is fine being Nintendo only, since that is their greatest strength.

10. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I wouldn't be so sure, honestly. We'll see. My gut tells me that when NX is revealed it'll be a very clear, "We're not in the core market anymore. See you later," kind of thing. I may be wrong, of course, like I said just my gut.

11. Soapy Registered

So what's this alternative to normal consoles and games? You've been talking big about how it's going to be some fundamentally different thing, but you've never been specific about it.

12. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I've not been specific about it, because I don't know what it'll be, obviously. I'm not a Nintendo insider. If I were to speculate a wild guess, I think it'll be something similar to either tablet-ish or streaming box-ish or both. But like I said, no insider information, just gut feeling based on how the company is being restructured, downplaying core gaming in general, etc.

13. Benstamania Go away.

I'd rather they just go 3rd party before doing that crap.

14. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

They'll probably never go third party. Even if they did, it probably wouldn't end up the way everyone thinks. It would mean they'd have to significantly downsize, stock holders would have a lot more ability to pressure management, etc. It wouldn't be like Sega bad probably, but a third party Nintendo would be a much different beast than first party Nintendo. Of course, a Nintendo removed from the core market would be, as well, but they would still have hardware revenue, so they would still be on their own terms, granting it was at least mildly successful.

I think Nintendo will always have some type of gaming hardware that they use their IPs for. Even if it's something totally alien to what the rest of the industry is doing, like a low end stream box or something along those lines with basic versions of their IPs focused at casual audiences only or something. I guess you never know, though, anything could happen, but I think they'd probably go full on mobile-only while licensing out their properties to other mediums if they totally lost all of their hardware revenue.

15. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

NintenDOOMED

[​IMG]

16. zenith16 Registered

ok on a more positive light if that's allowed. lol

source: Operation Rainfall

17. Closerframe Registered

If Nintendo is planning on focusing on a different part of the market, then perhaps they should reevaluate their financial expectations. A lot of consumers still see Nintendo as the go to console for their children who want something more direct and simple versus an entertainment hub like what's found with X1 and PS4. I think their entry into the mobile gaming world is somewhat telling of where the NX might be headed. I could easily see a download only method when it comes to purchasing games with a controller that operates as both a portable handheld and a method of playing more "intense" games. My concern with Nintendo's insistence to delay the console in order to have a larger first-party catalog right out of the gate shows this will likely be another console cycle where they barely get any third-party games ported to their console which is a big problem.

18. Sithborg Oooh, plot twist!

Or it is just telling of the development cycle of modern games. I'm sure Nintendo will likely have gotten a few non-Nintendo titles for launch. As nice as it would be to have a Wii U greatest collection ready at launch, it isn't a system seller. Waiting to release the Wii U until their system seller is ready is just smart.

19. Havok83 Registered

So no talk on the Nintendo MH, the alleged next handheld?

20. zenith16 Registered

yep

[​IMG]
    Industry
    Rumor: Nintendo developing new handheld code-named MH [Update 2]
    Published 21 hours ago. 184 comments.

source: Gematsu

21. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

I read about that earlier, just didn't think to post anything. It's interesting if true, but not really a surprise or anything

22. Iceman Daffy Duck Vs The Joker

I don't think I'll ever buy another handheld no matter how good. Smartphones and tablets have killed it for me as they can do it all on the move.

23. Tron Bonne All Ass, No Sass

Most mobile games really aren't very good to me. There's a few standouts here and there, but nothing to the level of a well-made traditional handheld game.

24. Benstamania Go away.

It would be awesome if it *was* a smartphone..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.