NY Subway "love at first sight" Romance Ends

Amazing that you can boil the concept of love down to such a simplistic thing, but I'd like to point out that even responses to visual stimuli tend to have varying degrees and increments. :)

But I'm not talking about love. I'm talking about the condition of thinking you're in love after seeing a complete stranger who happens to set off a few bells and whistles in the old noggin and/or crotch.

And you're just being lonely and bitter. :oldrazz:

jag

Perhaps, but bitterness and logical observation aren't mutually exclusive, while "love at first sight" and logical observation almost always are. :cwink:

But I'm not talking about love. I'm talking about the condition of thinking you're in love after seeing a complete stranger who happens to set off a few bells and whistles in the old noggin and/or crotch.

Again, you are operating only from a singular definition of love rather than considering that it exists in a spectrum, which makes your argument rather uncomprehensive and, frankly, short-sighted.

Perhaps, but bitterness and logical observation aren't mutually exclusive, while "love at first sight" and logical observation almost always are. :cwink:

Another theory you and I would disagree on. Lovely! :)

jag

Again, you are operating only from a singular definition of love rather than considering that it exists in a spectrum, which makes your argument rather uncomprehensive and, frankly, short-sighted.

OK, you've made it clear you don't agree and consider me incredibly uninformed and short-sighted. Got it. Can you perhaps move past that and elaborate on this love-at-first-sight "spectrum" that contains "varying degrees" and "different levels" that you've talked about? Some actual objective examples would be appreciated. Thx.

Another theory you and I would disagree on. Lovely! :)

jag

Well, at least I know you don't really consider my position wrong, because "there is no wrong, only different", -- right sweetums? :oldrazz:

OK, you've made it clear you don't agree and consider me incredibly uninformed and short-sighted. Got it. Can you perhaps move past that and elaborate on this love-at-first-sight "spectrum" that contains "varying degrees" and "different levels" that you've talked about? Some actual objective examples would be appreciated. Thx.

I've already mentioned that I have several friends that bascially experienced "love at first sight". Whatchyagonna do?

Well, at least I know you don't really consider my position wrong, because "there is no wrong, only different", -- right sweetums? :oldrazz:

Bingo. And, as is usual for you and I, I just like arguing with you over stupid things for no damn reason whatsoever because it's always done in jest and never maliciously. :up:

jag

It's a connection that goes beyond just the physical attraction, to an almost 'psychic' (for lack of a better word) connection.

Granted, it might seem that way, but like so many things that are often attributed to psychic links and spiritual connections, there's always the more likely possibility of simple chance or circumstances being that actual culprit.

You know, I'm really not this skeptical usually, as I like the Loch Ness Monster, UFOs and such... :cwink:

The guy must have really gotten hurt in the whole relationship, being that he's the only one of the two not talking about it.

I've already mentioned that I have several friends that bascially experienced "love at first sight". Whatchyagonna do?

Well, I don't know your friends of course, but I'll be bold enough to say that it's probably the outcome that affects the recollections of how the relationship started.

Here's the basic formulae:

Mutual initial attraction + finding things in common + successful relationship = telling everyone "It was love at first sight!" for the rest of your lives (or until the possible breakup)

Mutual initial attraction + failed relationship (or rejection) = "Meh, s/he was hot, but it wasn't meant to be." (or possibly stalking, followed by a restraining order).

"It was love at first sight" is just a self-fulfilling prophecy to trot out once the relationship is already successful.

Bingo. And, as is usual for you and I, I just like arguing with you over stupid things for no damn reason whatsoever because it's always done in jest and never maliciously. :up:

jag

OK, good. I was afraid you might be bent on punishing me too severely for that "mangina" crack. I'm not slave enough for that. :cwink:

The guy must have really gotten hurt in the whole relationship, being that he's the only one of the two not talking about it.

Or he just might not want to talk about his failed relationship that started by a little stalker behavior.

Or he just might not want to talk about his failed relationship that started by a little stalker behavior.

Exactly. BIG stalker behavior. When it doesn't work out, it becomes un-fairytale-ish and just turns creepy :o

Exactly. BIG stalker behavior. When it doesn't work out, it becomes un-fairytale-ish and just turns creepy :o

An excellent point that's been discussed in a few other relationship threads, I recall.

Two guys can make the exact same grand gesture of affection to a woman.

However, one guy is perceived as romantic, bold, or impetuous, while the other guy is perceived as creepy, annoying or clueless. It all depends on the feelings of the woman, or the final outcome of said gesture.

But - does that mean no guy should make those crazy gestures of love? It's just a risk we men have to take sometimes.

An excellent point that's been discussed in a few other relationship threads, I recall.

However, one guy is perceived as romantic, bold, or impetuous, while the other guy is perceived as creepy, annoying or clueless. It all depends on the feelings of the woman, or the final outcome of said gesture.

But - does that mean no guy should make those crazy gestures of love? It's just a risk we men have to take sometimes.

Indeed. This man in particular was lucky that the woman found it romantic in the first place. She could have freaked out.

When I realized this thread wasn't about Subway, you know, "Five... Five Dollar... FIVE DOLLAR FOOTLONGS!" I quickly became disinterested. :csad:

Or it depends on how the guys look.

This is what happens to guys when they aren't getting any. It's unfortunate but no one ever said going without strange ***** for extended periods would result in normal behavior.

The reason you haven't felt it is because it doesn't exist. What you call love was invented by guys like me to sell nylons. You're born alone and you die alone and this world just drops a bunch of rules on top of you to make you forget those facts.

Oi! TOB'S love of five dollar footlongs is a case of love at first sight that needs to die and burn in flames like this young couple in the original post. :( Which really is too bad, they are both attractive young people. :o

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080729/od_nm/subway_dc

As much as I'd like to feel sorry for the guy, my cynical, jaded side is saying "Ha -ha!" in classic Nelson Muntz style.

So to review:

- Love at first sight is BS. It basically means "Holy crap, that person is so hot! If they're willing to date me, I'm in LOVE!"

- The internet might be full of people who are romantic and root for the underdog to win, but it's more full of people who laugh at you when you crash and burn. Don't share your personal life with the internet.

- The woman is obviously using her recent sort-of-celebrity to bolster her wannabe acting career. Way to be a useful tool there, Patrick.

that comment is actually arguably crap. No one ever said love at first site was meant to be forever. Plus back in the 40's that was alot more common today (esp with those who were in the wars) and all the young girls going to the USO dances.. many getting married to those soldier boys.

It's just today people are soo damn cynical. They get there heart broken once, and give up on things all together. Hell i believe in "ever after" just doesn't always mean the very ending, is what you expect. Personally I find one who believes in love at first site, and fairy tale romance.. charming, it may be naive, but if they keep believing i find that special. and actually a very beautiful thing, people like that (had those 2 worked out) keep romance alive, but obviously his young love, chose wrong (which often happens to a teen/early 20 year old)

Seriously, if someone started a "man-hunt" for me after just glancing at me on the subway, I'd run faaaar in the other direction :csad:

see exactly my point... the world we live in today sucks in for most people in terms of romance :cmad:

jeez was this guy called Terry Long or something?
He was treading the fine line between stalker and love sick puppy

A relationship based on you seeing a woman, going through all these disturbing stalker-like lengths to find her, then putting it all in the public eye ended abruptly? The HELL you say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"