Legend of Zelda Offical The Legend of Zelda Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
It being a sequel to OOT would make it a mainline game lol. I've never thought of it as anything other than a mainline game. I mean, really, why wouldn't it be?
I always saw the mainline games as the major console entries in the series that followed the basic framework of the series. You have a new Link and Zelda and the return of Ganon. The story centers around battle for the triforce. None of these games look similar or are sequels as they are big "leaps".

I know Adventures of Link doesn't quite match up, but that had to do with it being the first sequel and thus had a lot of weirdness. But from A Link to the Past on, it has been the same idea for better or worse.

I don't know, that definition would also totally disqualify handheld games from being mainline games, and there's really nothing to really tell me those are less mainline than the console games, especially since Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds are direct sequels to A Link to the Past.

I honestly think that only games that are obviously spin-off in nature like Four Swords, Hyrule Warriors, etc. are actual spin-offs.

I don't know, that definition would also totally disqualify handheld games from being mainline games, and there's really nothing to really tell me those are less mainline than the console games, especially since Link's Awakening and A Link Between Worlds are direct sequels to A Link to the Past.

I honestly think that only games that are obviously spin-off in nature like Four Swords, Hyrule Warriors, etc. are actual spin-offs.
I it is my own personal view on it, so I am probably wrong. Yeah, I would disqualify handhelds, because even as some are my favorites, especially the recent A Link Between Worlds, they don't really define the eras imo. I see each game that tells the overall story "again" as the mainline games.

I can see both viewpoints to be honest. I don't really have a hard and fast way to think about what's a real mainline release in a long running series like Zelda. I do think there is a grey area between a mainline release and a spinoff though. I think labeling a game as a spinoff should be reserved for games that are wildly different than the rest of the series either in gameplay or structure.

Theoretically, I could potentially see games that reuse a lot of assets from a previous game or are otherwise stylistically in the same mould as a previous game categorized as a sub-sequel to a previous game rather than a full mainline game. Basically, whether or not a game is a mainline game would be determined by how "fresh" it is.

Using that idea, the Zelda series might look like this:

The Legend of Zelda

The Adventure of Link

A Link to the Past

• Four Swords
  • Four Swords Adventures
  • A Link Between Worlds
  • Triforce Heroes
Link's Awakening

• Oracle of Seasons
  • Oracle of Ages
Ocarina of Time

• Majora's Mask
The Wind Waker

• Phantom Hourglass
  • Spirit Tracks
The Minish Cap

Twilight Princess

Skyward Sword

Breath of the Wild

Having said that, I don't actually care or think it matters all that much. But if you really want to try to categorize them in that way, I think that's probably the best way to go about it.

Yeah maybe there's only been two games where she's officially absent, but she doesn't do much in the oracle games or Phantom Hourglass. She had a lacklustre role in Twilight Princess.
I thought it was cool that she and Link tag teamed Ganon in the horseback fight.

I thought it was cool that she and Link tag teamed Ganon in the horseback fight.
That was really fun to play! And she had a great design. Story-wise she didn't do much, understandably because Midna stole the show.

Tony Hawk's Legend of Zelda

XD8Fsed.gif

I really love how you can now kill the wild animals of Hyrule and eat them as food, Nintendo just basically confirmed to us that the greatest enemy to the entirety of the Zelda franchise can now be slayed and feasted upon with absolute revenge....

The Cucco

latest

Revenge will be mine, those Bastards! :cmad:

Leave the Cuccos alone, and they will not attack you, brah. :p

I was just 6 years old playing oot on the N64 for the first time happily playing around in Lon Lon Ranch, saw a Cucco, and i killed it for the lulz... then the repercussions happened.

My life changed that day...

This is why I'm a Nintendo fan. You can just tell they're putting their all into this.

Aye, if this game delivers, it'll be a clear winner for GOTY 2017.

Witcher 3 ain't got nothing on LoZ:BotW

I really love how you can now kill the wild animals of Hyrule and eat them as food, Nintendo just basically confirmed to us that the greatest enemy to the entirety of the Zelda franchise can now be slayed and feasted upon with absolute revenge....

The Cucco

latest

Revenge will be mine, those Bastards! :cmad:

Something tells me that Cucco is a rarity for a reason in Hyrule...

I believe this game, and Super Mario NX (you know it's coming), are Nintendo's saviors in 2017

Something tells me that Cucco is a rarity for a reason in Hyrule...

Millions of Oot fans from the 90's will sign a blood oath and swear to extinguish all those evil Cucco's from the entirety of Zelda history.

I'm counting the days till my revenge as we speak..

You know, in the demo they talk about chicken meat.. I thought chickens were called cuccos in Hyrule.

Those gamers grew up in the 90's... it hurts to say Cucco's :p

Game looks great, Still hoping for a large winged creature for Link to ride to help out with getting around. As long as its not that silly thing from Skyward Sword or the restricted flying from that game. The world is big enough now. Hope its not just Epona and Warping.

Game looks great, Still hoping for a large winged creature for Link to ride to help out with getting around. As long as its not that silly thing from Skyward Sword or the restricted flying from that game. The world is big enough now. Hope its not just Epona and Warping.

I could of sworn I heard a mention that the shrines become warp points once you complete them.

They'll probably reuse the Loftwings in some shape or form... Actually I believe that this is some kind of post-apocalyptic future where some of the more traditional Zelda creatures may not make an appearance.

This is one of those games where fast travel is an absolute must have mechanic.

This world makes Oot look miniscule in comparison. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"