Official 2008-09 NBA Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fu manchu

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, let's talk about the upcoming 2008 – 2009 NBA season. Here are some upcoming key dates:
  • June 26 - NBA draft
  • July 9 - Teams can start signing free agents
  • July 11 - NBA Summer League starts
  • Aug 10 - 1st game for US Olympic Team

Good Luck to all teams
:up:

We couldn't even get one day to celebrate the Celtics win before thinking of next year? Damn.

They did that when the Giants won too.

Before I comment on the 2008-09 NBA season for the Lakers, I just want to talk about the Finals series that ended last night (since the original thread is now closed). Btw, congrats to Fu Manchu for winning the pool.

First of all, I'd like to say congrats to the Celtics. This Finals were a battle between Celtics' defense vs. Lakers' offense, and like the old saying goes, defense wins championships. I think there is a reason why the Duncan-led Spurs and Shaq-led Lakers won all those championships, and that's defense. It is unfortunate that Lakers still did not figure out how to play D on a night-in, night-out basis, and it is something they have to figure out for next season. Also, Kobe did not play like the MVP by being outplayed by Pierce during the series, but that could be because the other Lakers did not step up when needed to, so Celtics' D collapsed on him throughout the series. The turning point was in Game 4, when Lakers had led as much as 25 pts. and still lost the game. If they had won it, it may come down to Game 7 and anything goes.

It is unfortunate that for all that Lakers had accomplished this season, this Game 6 is the one that will forever put a black mark on their otherwise spectacular season. Looking back to the beginning of '07-08 season, the Celtics were an early favorite due to their acquisition of Allen and KG, and the formation of the "Big Three". Lakers, on the other hand, were dealing with their last year's first-round exit, and Kobe's demand for trade. Later in the season, Lakers had to deal with the loss of Ariza and Byrum, acquisition of Gasol, and injury to Kobe. This season had been a roller-coaster ride, and becoming #1 seed in the most competitive WC in recent memory was quite an accomplishment. Sadly, for all their tripulations and trials, people might only remember the very last game they played, and not remember the journey they took to get there.

For the upcoming season, I think Lakers will have to figure out the problems that plagued them in this Finals series. Although I love the Gasol trade and Odom blossomed in his #3 spot, both players are too soft and not physical enough, and Odom reverted back to his inconsistency. Also, Byrum's return and integration to the current lineup (and his contract's renewal) will have to be addressed. Personally, I don't think Odom is worth 13 mil a year, and I won't mind letting him go and pick up a more physical player who plays consistently, and can defend and rebound better. The bench will become more mature, and I hope they will learn from the experience and get better, and not disappear when the team needs them the most. What I hope to see for next year is Phil Jackson either hire a defense guru (like what Celtics did) to help train the players to become better defensively, or emphasize the importance of defense upon his players. Triangle will not be enough to get Lakers the championship, and they must supplement that with terrific defense if they want to get the ring.

Anyway, it's been a bittersweet year for Lakers fan. With their youth and good supporting players, if they will committ to team defense and improvement over the summer, they will have another great shot at winning the championship. As terrible as Game 6 was, I hope it will become the fire that will ignite their passion to become the best team in NBA. I hope the humilation will serve as a lasting reminder to improve on their deficiency, because I doubt this loss will never really go away.

Anyway, just want to get this off my chest. Thanks for reading.

LETS GO KINGS
Kings.gif

This should be one crazy ass year.

I know it's a long time from now, but I'd like the Lakers to win the title this season.

I know it's a long time from now, but I'd like the Lakers to win the title this season.

I'd like to think so, but that hinges on whether they can bring in guys who can play tough, physical basketball and committ on team defense. Also, Kobe needs to be able to show up when his team needs him the most. His disappearing act in the Finals is very disheartening.

First!

Anyway, I think this is the year that the Knicks finally return the playoffs and Marbury is gone! WOO-HOO!

I'd like to think so, but that hinges on whether they can bring in guys who can play tough, physical basketball and committ on team defense. Also, Kobe needs to be able to show up when his team needs him the most. His disappearing act in the Finals is very disheartening.
agreed :csad: , i maby be asking for too much but i would like to have a better shooter on the lakers, guys like Antawn Jamison, Baron Davis ( both free agents )

LAMAR ODOM? Ship his ass outta here!

Lamar would be a valuable asset if they allowed him to play the way he did in Miami. He was coming into his own when he played for them. He had a consistent three point shot, could handle the ball like a point guard, and was one of the many high points of their offense before they started to become contenders.

I believe the triangle offense isn't his style of play and the fact that playing with Kobe doesn't make him any better, simply because Kobe isn't a leader and doesn't relate to his teammates like he should.

I`m picking Bulls vs Hornets in the finals for next year

Yep 2008-09 season will go down in history as the year of the

Washington_Wizards.gif

THE RISE OF A DYNASTY

Washington-Wizards-Poster-C13042154.jpeg

agreed :csad: , i maby be asking for too much but i would like to have a better shooter on the lakers, guys like Antawn Jamison, Baron Davis ( both free agents )
Shut your mouth:cmad::cmad::cmad::cmad:

Antawn will be staying right here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"