Official Excalibur and/or Captain Britain movie discussion thread

BT18

Superhero
Reaction score
yes a hypothetical, highly unlikely, Captain Britain or Excalibur movie. All discussion can go here.

Couldn't find a previous thread from searching "Britain" or "Excalibur" in titles of marvel films threads.

So here we go. I'll just post a cast that I think would work for the latter. Nightcrawler and Kitty could obviously be played by the actors who've already played them. Although a recast wouldn't be out of the question (a 4th actress in the case of Kitty).

Meggan: Sienna Guillory
250pxmeggan18sz.jpg
1sg5op.jpg

Rachel Summers: Thora Birch
rachelsummers1iw.jpg
c3755thannualprimetimeemmyawar.jpg

Captain Britain : Jason Statham
cap20brit20no20mask20resize9ta.jpg
jasonstathamisdatingagain25wr.jpg

Thing is, I can't really see Statham wearing a wig. Whenever I see him now though, I think him as Hitman not Vin Diesel. :up:

Hitman would be way too derivative of too many of his other roles. Way, way, to much.

Another underworld quiet guy for hire in an expensive suit.

You probably can't "see" him wearing a wig because you have YET to see him in a wig. That would happen to someone who could only see someone playing role which are basically replications of other roles they've already played. Kurt-Russell-should-play-Nick-Fury syndrome.

i'd prefer to see a union jack movie with sean bean as jack,jason stathem is a southerner,whereas jack is a northerner...hence sean bean being right for the part with him coming from sheffield.

i say stathem would be better as baron blood.

i'd love to see a cap britain movie too...

sean bean is too old. I'm open to other people besides Statham, he's just the biggest star right now I think'd work.

I can't think of anyone who could play Captain Britain....... But i think David Tennant would make a fantastic Pete Wisdom!!

The Englishman said:

I didn't know who he was so I googled him. He seems a bit old and frumpy looking for a character I consider more suave and young. Closer in age to Kitty Pryde. mid-to-late 20's.

Daniel Brocklebank or Matthew Goode come to mind. Both good actors. Check out The Hole for examples of the former and Match Point for examples by the latter.

as a brit myself i would love to see a captain britian movie but i live in america now and i can tell that the typical american wont see this movie based soley on the name and a huge hollywood budget for a movie that is only going to make money in england isnt going to happen so if they make one it will be realy crappy quality in order to make a profit and i dont think anyone wants to see cap butchered on film. so i would rather they dont make the film

giggs11uk said:
as a brit myself i would love to see a captain britian movie but i live in america now and i can tell that the typical american wont see this movie based soley on the name and a huge hollywood budget for a movie that is only going to make money in england isnt going to happen so if they make one it will be realy crappy quality in order to make a profit and i dont think anyone wants to see cap butchered on film. so i would rather they dont make the film
A little punctuation goes a long way.

Anyway, I agree with you. Not a lot of Americans are going to see a movie about Captain Britain. We love the UK, but if it ain't on Public Television (or at least starring Rowan Atkinson), it's not getting our attention.

However, I think an Excalibur movie would work. I have the early draft of an unfinished Excalibur fanscript over in the FanFic forum that I started writing as the sequel to X2 (time travel? What was I thinking?!). If someone out there liked that piece of junk, imagine what a real writer could do with an Excalibur movie.

Manic said:
A little punctuation goes a long way.

Anyway, I agree with you. Not a lot of Americans are going to see a movie about Captain Britain. We love the UK, but if it ain't on Public Television (or at least starring Rowan Atkinson), it's not getting our attention.

Why Not??

The Englishman said:
Why Not??
We don't get a lot of your television shows imported, to be honest. The only ways you can catch a British show here in the states is if you receive the BBC America (which I do), or if you watch PBS on weekends. PBS is the Public Broadcasting Service. It's the only network run entirely by donations, and many of its affiliate stations choose their programming based on pledge drives and some random employee's personal preference. This is the most famous source of UK shows in the US. Typically, they'll run a marathon of episodes of some popular-yet-old British comedy (ie. Mr. Bean, Blackadder, Red Dwarf), and ask viewers to send money if they want to see these episodes run again in the future. We... don't get a lot of British shows. So we're just not used to being exposed to British entertainment outside of an old comedy or two, and the occasional Guy Richie movie.

Then, of course, you've got the US' overwhelming sense of nationalism. The reason some of us are afraid a Captain America movie won't do well overseas is the same reason I don't think many Americans will see a Captain Britain movie.

Plus, let's be honest, how many of us Americans have heard of Captain Britain? If you never read Excalibur, chances are you haven't.

That's a bit **** though. That can be seen as a bit arrogent to the outside world, "Im not going to see that because the Hero is British and not American". Im not attacking you or your country but i don't like that attitude. Im very patrotic as you can tell by my name, but i still love movies from America, Hong Kong or Europe. Alot of Americans are missing out on alot of brillient British TV Shows and Music because of this.

I think a decent CB movie would be incredible and I'm not sure I would agree with the generalisation on whether the U.S. would watch this movie - if it was well done and there was a link with a U.S. hero they may do. My experience of the States is that most Americans go nuts over the British accent and all things British anyway - although we're viewed as a bit quaint this adds to the charm for our U.S. cousins I believe.

The market issue could be further countered if the story/script revolved not just around the UK but the Commonwealth (which our Queen is still Head of). I don't know what the penetration of cinema theatres is in the Commonwealth but the fact that it represents a market size of 1.8 billion citizens from 52 nation states - all lead by Her Majesty (Gawd Bless 'er) should get any studio exec. fairly excited.

It is a very real and active global organisation which the Brits kickstarted and still basically manage. So CB would definitely be called to action if it was in trouble (and he would anyway). In fact a key declaration about what the Commonwealth stands for, by the Queen, is the sort of thing CB or any hero would be happy to stand by:

“The Commonwealth bears no resemblance to the empires of the past. It is an entirely new conception built on the highest qualities of the spirit of man: friendship, loyalty, and the desire for freedom and peace."

http://www.thecommonwealth.org/

Should we point this out to Marvel do you think?

Cheers,

The Limey

Hey all,

If you want to help to get a Captain Britain movie made please go to facebook and join the captain britain movie petition group.

your support would be much appreciated.

R,

The Limey

A superhero named after a country? Ridiculous.

I'd go see it.. put the original team together and go for it.. crazy gang as villains..

Thats great casting there for Wisdom but lets foget about an Excalibur movie and cast a MI-13 movie instead.........

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"