Guardians of the Galaxy OFFICIAL Guardians of Galaxy Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
well couldnt they use forced perspective a la LOTR and CGI his ass in post?

they could..they've been able to do forced perspective since the 80's with Ridley Scott's Legend.. you don't always have to be lazy and use CGI

Are we seriously discussing CG-ing Thanos' ass right now....?

Let's stick to human actors, please. Let the part of Thanos' ass be played by Kim Kardashian.

Ok, I just decided who would make the perfect Thanos: This guy:

Philip-Seymour-Hoffman.jpg

2w3c0pg.jpg

PSH would make a great villain.. only problem he'd need a lot of makeup he is very oddly stocky..I remember how odd it looked when he was trying to look badass in MI3 because of his body type..that said, he's an excellent actor and is a great option

eddie460x276.jpg

anyways... Variety reports Peter Quill/Star-Lord candidate Eddie Redmayne is apparently up for another big project as he's in talks for a role in The Wachowskis' Jupiter Ascending.. the $200 million dollar sci-fi epic starring Channing Tatum and Mila Kunis..

tumblr_mbv5pdL8Ev1r5l5neo1_500.png

Also, Jack Huston confirmed to MTV he auditioned..

“There was a screen test. Like I said, brittle bones. Maybe they'll call me Glass Man. 'Here he comes. Oh, he fell over,'” Jack Huston joked. But jokes aside, he said, “I would love to do it. I tell you, these bones are strong. If you need a guardian to look after this galaxy, look no further.”

Last edited:
So for those keeping score, the (un)official Star-Lord casting couch currently looks like this, from likeliest to unlikeliest:

Jack Huston (confirmed a screen test)
Lee Pace (confirmed a screen test)
Jim Sturgess
James Marsden
Sullivan Stapleton
Eddie Redmayne (Jupiter Ascending)
Garrett Hedlund (joined Tron 3)
Joel Edgerton (joined cast of Jane Got a Gun)

Pace or Stapleton for me. Huston does not fit the character nor does Marsden.

Ok, I just decided who would make the perfect Thanos: This guy:

Philip-Seymour-Hoffman.jpg

No. Just no. He lacks the presence and voice for Thanos. Unless you want him to do motion capture for a totally CGI Thanos, in which case it might work.

[/SPOILER]

No. Just no. He lacks the presence and voice for Thanos. Unless you want him to do motion capture for a totally CGI Thanos, in which case it might work.

I don't know if I agree about the voice aspect.. he could work on an epic voice

Huston as badass Richard Harrow in Boardwalk Empire season finale (spoilers be warned)

[YT]me5OOPdBaW4[/YT]

LOL @ Philip Seymour Hoffman not having screen presence.

well couldnt they use forced perspective a la LOTR and CGI his ass in post?

Absolutely. Or like how they made the Frost Giants bigger in Thor, guys in make up & prosthetics made larger in post-production. Thanos doesn't need to be entirely CGI, that money can be better spent.

So for those keeping score, the (un)official Star-Lord casting couch currently looks like this, from likeliest to unlikeliest:
Jack Huston (confirmed a screen test)
Lee Pace (confirmed a screen test)
Jim Sturgess
James Marsden
Sullivan Stapleton
Eddie Redmayne (Jupiter Ascending)
Garrett Hedlund (joined Tron 3)
Joel Edgerton (joined cast of Jane Got a Gun)

As I said last week, Edgerton joining JGAT has no impact on him vying for Star Lord as both films don't shoot at the same time & he's a supporting character in JGAG.
Same for Hedlund, Tron 3 apparently doesn't film until 2014.

If they don't get the part it's not for scheduling conflicts.

Last edited:
i like the idea of Jeffery Wright for Thanos

I *love* the idea of Jeffrey Wright for Thanos. I still wonder what happened to that rumor that someone spotted him in Cleveland while Avengers was filming and he said he was there to film for a secret role....it's possible they might have mistaken Damion Poitier for Wright, but *I* could definitely tell the two apart.

I'm also wondering what happened to those rumors that Marvel was seriously eyeing Ahnuld for Thanos....even the MSM picked up on that one last year.

I *love* the idea of Jeffrey Wright for Thanos. I still wonder what happened to that rumor that someone spotted him in Cleveland while Avengers was filming and he said he was there to film for a secret role....it's possible they might have mistaken Damion Poitier for Wright, but *I* could definitely tell the two apart.

I'm also wondering what happened to those rumors that Marvel was seriously eyeing Ahnuld for Thanos....even the MSM picked up on that one last year.

. . . Just too be clear... Arnold Schwarzenegger for Thanos? Arnold Schwarzenegger? Everybody get down? Get to the choppa? Schwarzenegger?

I'm having some difficulty digesting this.

I was only half-serious about PSH, but my general point is that Marvel should continue to stockpile great actors, serious actors who can create these roles in the MCU. Their physical resemblance is NOT in the top 3 most important things when casting.

That said, PSH as Star-Lord or Drax probably wouldnt work. And Kathy Bates as Gamora would be a mistake. There are limits.

Jeffrey Wright is a world class actor and I'm sure Marvel could find something for him. If they go full CGI with Thanos, theres a long list of actors who could do something interesting with the mo-cap and voice.

I definitely hope they go "world class" for Thanos, but I hope they don't get *too* predictable. It'd be way too easy to make Thanos into a classic scenery-chewing Saturday morning cartoon villain (complete with "MWAHAHAHAHA" evil laugh); so I hope the actor chosen delivers a fresher take on pure evil.

I could swear they've already decided Thanos?

I could swear they've already decided Thanos?

Daimon Poitier (a good actor in his own right) played him in the famous mid-credit scene in Avengers, and he's obviously hopeful of keeping the role. But Feige has indicated that they'll probably go with someone with bigger marquee value for GOTG and TA2.

Daimon Poitier (a good actor in his own right) played him in the famous mid-credit scene in Avengers, and he's obviously hopeful of keeping the role. But Feige has indicated that they'll probably go with someone with bigger marquee value for GOTG and TA2.

Based on what exactly?

Based on what exactly?

He's been in bit parts in Sons of Anarchy, True Blood and Divergence. Plus, somewhere online there's an SDCC interview where he sounds intelligent and well-read, and definitely a comic-book fan. I'd be okay if he kept the part.

So its based on nothing iow. Gotcha.

Too much talent available to waste such a pivotal role on an untested nobody. His "look" is irrelevant obviously.

I just thought of someone great for Drax, Sean Bean people always cast Drax too young IMO. I think if they did Drax like the Frost Giants in Thor it would be great. I know Sean Bean could kill it as Drax.

I kinda want Drax to make it out of this flick alive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"