Official Indie Music Thread

Cmill, you should check out Emily Haines's solo project Emily Haines and the Soft Skeleton (http://www.myspace.com/emilyhaines). I can't remember if I recomended it to you before or not, but it is really good.

Oh, I've been all up in it! :p

I got the album and the EP. "Crowd Surf Off A Cliff" is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years. :heart:

Oh, I've been all up in it! :p

I got the album and the EP. "Crowd Surf Off A Cliff" is one of the most beautiful songs I've heard in years. :heart:

Nice :up:

Star, if you like Crystal Castles you should definitely check out Stellastar and The Gossip. Not as techno as CC but definitely fun stuff to dance to.

I also can't believe I forgot to mention Kings of Leon (http://www.myspace.com/kingsofleon). They are getting more mainstream (which is good for them, no doubt), but they've been around for quite some time.

Another good source for Indie music popped up in my head today-The CBC! CBC radio 3 is ace :up:, I just wish you could listen to it on the radio instead of just on Itunes and on the web. Radio 2 has some good programs though. I like thier stuff during the drive home.

Anyone like really experimental stuff like Deerhoof?

For any LA fans out there, LA radio station Indie 103.1 is now dead, and heading to online only.

The sad thing is that the ON AIR DJs got laid off. I just hope that Steve Jones (of the Sex Pistols) gets a new home.

My take on it is that I felt like it was coming since November; there was a huge shift in the programing (Henry Rollins getting moved to Saturdays, cancellation of the niche shows). Also, the tracks are more 'mainstream' as well. I don't know what to think.

BUT MUSIC IS NOT DEAD. FAR FROM IT. But it'll be hard to be online only because there are so many other sites other than Indie. And without the talent, now what?

http://blogs.laweekly.com/play/news/indie-1031-announces-move-to-i/

That's what happened with Radio 3 too! Except the DJ's kept their jobs (as far as I know) since the CBC is technically a government job so they can't fire people at thier own discretion. But it used to be a show within a CBC radio station and then it all got moved to the web. What a sad state of affairs. I guess the only good part about being on the web is that the can be a lot more free in terms of content.

i highly recommend checking out "throw me the statue". they sound a lot like the shins mixed with beulah and grandaddy. really catch indie-pop with tons of layered instruments and quirky lyrics.

That's what happened with Radio 3 too! Except the DJ's kept their jobs (as far as I know) since the CBC is technically a government job so they can't fire people at thier own discretion. But it used to be a show within a CBC radio station and then it all got moved to the web. What a sad state of affairs. I guess the only good part about being on the web is that the can be a lot more free in terms of content.

I just listen to a radio show online for 103.1 (I guess they're keeping the station's dials). Ever since the station went off air, it was just all music (like the old days with no DJ) but he actually went on with his show.

It seems like some of the DJs (like the metal rock host and Henry Rollins) are coming back to do their shows..for free because they believe in company so much. And I guess they're trying to adjust to the online format, which means more freedom. But now the problem is accessibility. It has been mentioned that internet is easier to get now and hopefully, it'll be open to anyone with a tuner (like an iphone has one)

I just listen to a radio show online for 103.1 (I guess they're keeping the station's dials). Ever since the station went off air, it was just all music (like the old days with no DJ) but he actually went on with his show.

It seems like some of the DJs (like the metal rock host and Henry Rollins) are coming back to do their shows..for free because they believe in company so much. And I guess they're trying to adjust to the online format, which means more freedom. But now the problem is accessibility. It has been mentioned that internet is easier to get now and hopefully, it'll be open to anyone with a tuner (like an iphone has one)

I wonder if they could get a satellite channel. I know a lot of radio stations that were only on the web have been able to get onto satellite (like sirius).

Does anyone else find it annoying when all these indie bands release a second album where they confuse ambition with size and try to make some sort of U2 sounding staduim sized album.

Franz Ferdinand's third album is out next week. I've already heard it, and to be honest, it's their best yet.

They've ditched the guitars as the main instrument and replaced them with synths and keyboards. A nice progression in their sound.

I highly recomend it. :up:

I've heard it too. I would agree with you in saying it's their best album yet... something about the sound makes it superior. Probably the keyboards, because I'm a sucker for that.

Indie music!

Some of my favorites...

The 88-

[YT]ydYHaLx4pWs[/YT]

[YT]P6PnpikSi2E[/YT]

Cold War Kids-

[YT]n2JNE-sgA74[/YT]

[YT]gnV8QIH3ikM[/YT]

The Shins-

[YT]OHTSxw6zN1E[/YT]

[YT]YRo9kMPdKaw[/YT]

Spoon-

[YT]LenPKPqvdJA[/YT]

[YT]EYjFhYbzAWQ[/YT]

Matt Costa-

[YT]nxn0M2dwjI8[/YT]

[YT]XR8ZRfDPosE[/YT]

My favourite indie bands:

Bloc Party
The Futureheads
Pete and the Pirates
The Libertines
The Cribs
We Are Scientists
Arctic Monkeys

The new Franz Ferdinand album is teh sex :up:

I've heard good things about the Franz album. I'm gonna check it out. Pete and the Pirates are good too. Mr Understanding and Knots are my favourite tracks.

The actress Tilda Swinton is gonna be on the new Patrick Wolf album.

Never Mind the Bollocks, Here's Fugazi!

[YT]cNcAzfGFsk8[/YT]

[YT]C_cfKaaS_Fo[/YT]

[YT]bHUbmT448mw[/YT]

And yes the guy in the white shirt is all kinds of awesome.

The greatest indie band you have never heard of Georgie James

[YT]jlX7K8DZLOk[/YT]

And the band that everyone on this planet needs to bow down and worship At The Drive-In

[YT]08qk_pMJFak[/YT]

Last edited:
The Night Marchers are a great new band. It's basically the Hot Snakes lineup, with Gar Wood moving from bass to guitar and a new kid taking over on bass. If you're a fan of singer/songwriter/guitarist John Reis' previous bands, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes or the Sultans, you should definitely check this out. It's got the swagger of RFTC with the thick chords of Hot Snakes, but a little more rock and roll than post-hardcore. I highly recommend their debut album "See You In Magic". I've seen them twice already and they're just a really fun band to catch live.

Last edited:
The Night Marchers are a great new band. It's basically the Hot Snakes lineup, with Gar Wood moving from bass to guitar and a new kid taking over on bass. If you're a fan of singer/songwriter/guitarist John Reis' previous bands, Rocket From The Crypt, Drive Like Jehu, Hot Snakes or the Sultans, you definitely check this out. It's got the swagger of RFTC with the think chords of Hot Snakes, but a little more rock and roll than post-hardcore. I highly recommend their debut album "See You In Magic". I've seen them twice already and they're just a really fun band to catch live.
I love the Hot Snakes so i'll be checking them out :up:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"